Answered

New Sonos ARC - DTS support

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I was waiting for this new bar, believing that it would finally support DD+ AND DTS. I was wrong. I’ll stick it to my AVR setup, which supports all kinds of codecs.

I love Sonos, but - at this point - this choice of keeping DTS support out really is not understandable.

Very likely because of DTS Play-Fi, the awful but widely-adopted multi-room competitor to Sonos.  Yet another infringer on Sonos’ many patents, without a doubt.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks to all.  Somewhat disappointed by this as I may have to bail on the new ARC.  Have it preordered at the moment but if there is no DTS  support,  I will probably go the receiver route for that room.

The dts deficiency could be compensated for if your source decodes DTS and outputs it in multichannel pcm (most do) IF the Arc supported multichannel PCM… which it, based on currently announced specs, doesn’t. I’ve been banging on about this in a few threads, but the lack of lpcm is a much more critical problem than lack of dts support - which, of itself, is somewhat absurd, considering the prevalence and presence of DTS in audio products 1/10 of the Arc’s price.

Thanks to all.  Somewhat disappointed by this as I may have to bail on the new ARC.  Have it preordered at the moment but if there is no DTS  support,  I will probably go the receiver route for that room.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The web site lists a lot of codecs for the Arc, but DTS is absent. The FAQ page says eARC supports Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi.

I have a Sony OLED A8F that only has ARC.   I understand the support sequence for Dolby decoding but wondering if Sonos will now be able to support DTS decoding?  Many of my movies I have ripped to disk using the best sound option only and many of those are any line of DTS.  Can you please verify if the new ARC will support any of these?

Thanks

They didn’t add DTS to playbar, playbase, beam or amp so IMO they aren’t likely to add it to arc. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Hopefully your media player converts DTS to DD5.1 for you.

Sonos has made no indication that they intend to support DTS. We will have to see what S2 reveals when it released.

Given their announcement around Atmos, it seems unlikely that DTS would be included, though, as you’d think that would have been an good time to make that announcement as well.