Answered

Lip Sync Delay

• 2 February 2017
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with a sony TV and new sonos 3:1 system. The lip sync is not acceptable with this setup. I'm willing to add an HDMI switch because I like Sonos for audio throughout my house. But its not working very well at the TV. Maybe I should just use a different non-latent soundbar for my TV and return the Sonos 3:1 system. What did you do?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sorry, man. This kind of stuff is new to me and you need to walk me through this step by step. What device do I need to get (brand and model?) and how do I hook it up? So I would have a switch device (again what kind?) that I connect from the cable box directly to the play bar (bypassing the TV) but what and how do I plug stuff in so that the apps on the tv have sound?
If I plug in the sound directly from the cable box to the playbar, how will I hear sound when I use the smart tv apps?
I already answered that earlier in the thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yeah, I already checked and unfortunately Sony does not offer anything that would allow me to delay the video or speed up the audio. But you have intrigued me with this Toslink switch or HDMI device idea. It's a smart TV so how I could I work it so that I plug in the cable box directly to the sonos playbar so I can watch TV without lip sync delay issues but also be able to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Youtube, etc etc via the smart tv apps in the TV? If I plug in the sound directly from the cable box to the playbar, how will I hear sound when I use the smart tv apps?
It works fine, and for most people the ~30ms latency though the PLAYBAR (which is there to ensure network sync with its wireless surrounds/SUB) is acceptable. Many won't even notice it.

Presumably you've checked that the Sony TV isn't adding any delay of its own. Some of the latest Samsungs provide an option to bring the audio forward slightly, as well as delay it. I don't think Sonys can do so.

If all you want is a plain soundbar then perhaps Sonos isn't for you. I'd point out that you can always retrofit Sonos streaming functionality to most third party soundbars by plugging in a CONNECT.
Userlevel 2
Badge
In which case I would lean towards the Bose soundbar which doesn't have these embuggerances. The Bose software isn't as good but at least it works properly for a home theatre device.

If you promote a product for home theater, it should work as such, no ?
This means that audio only comes from the cable box, other devices such as Apple TV would not be able to use the Sonos audio ?
Correct. If you want to use other sources there'd have to be a switch of some kind.

The simpler option would be to take optical feeds from both the TV and the cable box and flip between them using an IR-controlled TOSLINK switch. If you have an older Apple TV then it could connect via optical as well.

Alternatively use an HDMI device such as a single-port audio extractor with ARC (audio return channel), or an HDMI switch with audio output. In the first case the ATV would plug into the TV, with its audio sent back over ARC. In the second case the ATV would plug into the HDMI switch.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Your cable box probably has an optical audio port. Connect the PLAYBAR to that instead of the TV. The audio will probably then be ahead of the picture. Many cable boxes have an option to delay the audio, or you could always use the PLAYBAR lip-sync option.

This means that audio only comes from the cable box, other devices such as Apple TV would not be able to use the Sonos audio ?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Would like to see an official answer to this as well.
Your cable box probably has an optical audio port. Connect the PLAYBAR to that instead of the TV. The audio will probably then be ahead of the picture. Many cable boxes have an option to delay the audio, or you could always use the PLAYBAR lip-sync option.