Answered

It's 2016! Make PlayBar Gen 2 for DTS / Fix Aux for Play 5 GEN 2

• 7 February 2016
  • 56 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Can't believe that new Soundbase has been announced without support for HDMI and DTS etc. SONOS need to get their act together over this as I can't justify dumping my separate surround sound set up without this functionality even though I use SONOS extensively elsewhere.
Well, we can hold out some hope for the next device they release. I've got too much invested in Sonos devices to just leave because I'm upset (which I'm not). Honestly, the system works well the way it is. Sure, I wouldn't mind more, but it's not like it's performing any differently today than it was yesterday.

But sure, if you were to offer me the job of CEO at Sonos, I'd be happy to evaluate direction. But, I suspect that the current folks have been doing that for a long time, and based their decisions on what the true marketplace is looking for. My perception is that the folks who tend to post on these boards are the 1%, and not necessarily representative of the entire marketplace, particularly of those that Sonos may be going after.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can't believe that new Soundbase has been announced without support for HDMI and DTS etc. SONOS need to get their act together over this as I can't justify dumping my separate surround sound set up without this functionality even though I use SONOS extensively elsewhere.

It's an insult. This was the last straw and now selling everything. Google home along with true multicasting around the house and talking to a speaker is great. Jamming now!

Great! I'm happy for you. Enjoy your interactions on a different support/community forum.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I made peace with this issue (TOSLINK on PlayBar only, can only use Sonos speakers or CONNECT:AMP as surrounds, no 7.1 or Dolby Atmos support, etc...) and what I've come to is that in my main viewing room, I have a PlayBar (connected via TOSLINK) to the flat panel, a Sonos SUB for sub stuff and a CONNECT:AMP to drive a pair of rear speakers and all this controlled via a Logitech Harmony Elite remote control. This is a "good enough/easy to use" audio and remote control system. I also have a 7.1 receiver that is fed the HDMI from an HDMI extender (one output goes to the panel via a CAT6 extender and that extender has an HDMI loop output that provides essentially a duplicate of the HDMI output port that is on the far end by the panel, I use this loop output to feed my 7.1 receiver). All HDMI switching is done with a 5x1 HDMI switcher. Now when my wife or kids want to watch something, the Sonos audio system is a piece of cake, it all just works well enough. When I (or we) want to do serious watching with serious sound, I have my 7.1 receiver drive the speakers, using a relay control to disconnect the rear surrounds form the CONNECT:AMP and connect them to the receiver, and the receiver also drives an 18" Velodyne subwoofer for real bass. So I basically have to have two distinct audio systems in the room to handle the simple/family friendly case (Sonos does that) and to cater to serious watchers/listeners. I've given up trying to coerce Sonos into doing stuff it wasn't designed to do, and for 90% of what I use it for, it's perfectly adequate and a great whole house audio system.
Userlevel 3
Badge
All, you are correct. What I meant by "the apple of speakers" is the level of quality and detail. Ironically, Apple's HiFi and Airplay is not great (I tried it all before going to Sonos)

I can agree with the DTS portion about the licensing fees. If they could allow HDMI to pass through the speaker or have something that makes 5.1 easier to work with, that would be great. I would love to see some announcement in regards to the soundbar. They were smart by saying something about the new play 5's and I waited the entire time for them to come out and got them. I think it would prevent driving crazy if they made some kind of dabble announcement in regards to a new playbar. Ironically, I would still buy it even though I have one. the other soundbar would be mounted in my bedroom with some other extra speakers that I have.

In regards to Tiago, yes I was very annoyed when it did not state that anywhere. I thought I was losing my mind when I tried the AUX. When I disconnected them from the 5.1 setup, the AUX showed up. I was like WTF lol. I know this could be a simple fix and hopefully they care about the feedback. To tell me to buy a 3rd speaker would drive me insane. I'm glad I got 2 of them each for 449 tax free.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The Apple of speakers? I hope not! The iPod HiFi speaker was a disaster for Apple.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Hi-Fi

Yep, that's why they are the Apple.... meaning they are getting it right and Apple is not the one implementing the tech. I remember my speakers would always drop out.
No, I don't.
I will buy the GEN2 playbar the day it is released....very sad that it is taking so long....

Given there's never been any indication Sonos are even working on a new Playbar I wouldn't bother waiting, buy a different soundbar that meets your requirements.
Sonos have never given any indication that there will ever be a gen2 Playbar
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually like the looks of the Playbar.

I don't know sales wise if it justifies them investing in another. Personally I would like to see them create a SUPER CONNECT box that actually will allow 7.1 audio directing to 7 different regular Sonos Plays.

Can you imagine the implications for - especially for those with Projectors where they have difficulty hooking to 5.1 sources wirelessly.

I think the Playbar days are numbered at some point.
It has had its day , and i bet there are many hundreds world wide will not buy one while speculation continues , my lad has one ill go without for now
Fair comment
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think licensing costs is the issue. The issue is how it was designed.

The standard that TV manufacturers were supposed to go by was that toslink output on TV in DD5.1 should be followed. Playbar was designed with this standard in mind. Unfortunately the standard really never got implemented across brands properly or uniformly. Therefore, work arounds bypassing the TV had to become the norm - and there is where you get issues as if your bypassing the TV as the hub for sound then DD5.1 isn't always the output type.

Now we know people have gone more toward the HDMI audio route with the various competing standards for audio (with DTS as most popular for bluray).

Yep - the playbar is in need of a replacement. But its not Sonos cheaping out - its the way designed and for reason.
Ah, good point. I don't think I know of any TVs (not that I've paid attention) that have an HDMI out. But sure, TOSLINK is limited, and that's what SONOS implemented.

Thanks for nudging my thought process another step.

I can see it now...the Playbar as the new HDMI switcher, with 64 HDMI ports in the back (and people complaining that they need 65), and one out to the TV.

So, there's no easy answer, is there, at least right now. There needs to be a large scale change in the way TVs provide an output that is "big" enough to carry DTS. And all of them need to be the same, not 14 different kinds. No wonder SONOS is hanging on to TOSLINK. I'll be it was hard enough to get some of those TV companies to include that. And then end up having to work with those (cough-Samsung-cough) who aren't sticking with the appropriate rules.

Thanks, Chris.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Its a shame TV can't be the hub as it makes the most sense when it comes to having the various HDMI inputs and then single audio needed.

Otherwise you have to have an external box to do the switching. Either purchase and HDMI switch or if the SUPER CONNECT was an HDMI switcher.

I think to avoid future compatibility problems and external switch with toslink extractor would work best - feeding a SUPER CONNECT which has a toslink input and and HDMI input/passthrough. Then the super connect feed the various speakers in the house audio channels up to at least 7.1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Id love a SUPERCONNECT with hdmi and output to choice of play 1/3/5 and sub 🙂
I went into a John Lewis store in the UK yesterday to purchase a Sonos Soundbar, Sub and 2 x Play 1's. There were no Soundbars in stock and the nice sales lady looked in her computer and it said "discontinued soon". She offered me 10% off a showroom model but I declined. Not sure whether it's just John Lewis that is stopping stocking them or if this is the first clue that a new Soundbar is about to be released. I chose to wait.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos definitely hasn't announced much on hardware side past few years. It's about time for some more refreshes as the play:5 refresh has appeared to be a major success
Bang on i will wait till the day they do , i will never buy the **** looking , tack , dust magnet , poorest product they make till they bring out a 2
I'd have thought it more likely that Sonos would be upping the £ rrp as a result of the weakening of the pound against the dollar. Iirc when they increased the Euro price for the same reason a while back there were numerous "discontinued" items in various stores until the new price regime became active.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually like the playbar looks
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
would be nice if it were true but probably more likely a minor change similar to that just made with the sub
https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/new-sub-on-the-horizon-6738589/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Short of an external input I'm not sure what much they could have done to improve on the sub
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because other companies have a habit of trying to copy everything they do.
Badge
Well I to love Sonos but I think sometimes my vision is too narrow on when it comes to what I am using it for. .. For me I think Sonos is resting on past lorals and fans. Don't get me wrong I love their stuff dispite the price increase which is because i live in Canada and the exchange sucks. But I also don't like all the things that I must do to make things work..example buy a new switch because my Tv doesn't pass the audio right. So the playbar came out in Feb 2013 fast forward 4 years and now we are seeing soundsbars with Atmos built in. (I know there's not much if any content but my point is at a cheaper price point I get some pretty rich features) Sonos to me is like Apple...they really are relying on the fans to remain loyal. Really all the play bar is for me is a way of cleaning up all the audio gear I had in my living room so that my room is tidier. By the way that cost was almost 1800 dollars (Now over 2300 with taxes) to do and has so many limitations that sometimes I think I must have been crazy. . Sonos can never replace my home theater gear. ..sorry to say doesn't come close to sound when watching movies.
The new play 5 what did it do.... it does sound better than the old play 5 but really plays nothing more. I would have thought about it if it had of had some other innovation such as siri integration or I guess for people in the US google home or Alexia. Don't get me wrong I am all for better sound but that better sound has to be subtancial. I mean the price increase for me was 200 bucks in canada. I lost the portal handle for carrying out to my back deck and I lost the headphone jack...hmmmm and I pay more...my (old)play 5 is a bedroom speaker and it's still awesome.

So now I will look at possibly something else because sonos is is slow to deal with what is in the modern world. Does it mean I will abandon sonos...likely not ..What it does mean is I may look for a more advance (feature rich) sound bar and then connect a Sonos Connect. If MY soundbar has auto sensing then it should still be able to play my sonos when needed...as in like by alarms I have setup.
Now you may see why I think my vision is tooooo narrowly focused on Sonos for my entertaiment system in my living room.