How low to ground can I have the ARC?

• 1 October 2020
  • 4 replies

I was going to put my Sonos Arc on a floating TV Stand.  The ARC would be about two fit off the ground on top of the floating TV stand.  Is that too low to have the ARC?  How low off the ground could the ARC be to still maximize effectiveness?

Also, that would create a lot of space between the ARC and TV (as much as 25 inches, could be lower if I lower the tv).  Is there a maximum distance the ARC can be from TV where it does not lose any effectiveness?

I have a 75 inch TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @mlax201983.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and having an interest in the Sonos:Arc.

The recommended distance is 4.0" (102 mm) space (minimum) between the top of Sonos Arc and the bottom of your TV (if placing Arc below the TV).

Regarding in your first question this forum might give you some idea on setting up your Arc. click here

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.​​​​​​​

2 feet off the ground would be fine.  But given that, I would be concerned about a 25 inch gap to the TV for two reasons:

1. I think dialogue may sound a bit weird coming from that far from the TV.
  2. I think your TV would be too high.  

A rule of thumb often used is that the TV should be positioned so that the normal viewing eyeline is one-third of the way up the screen.  Obviously that remains a matter of individual preference.

I would get the TV at the height you want it as the first priority, then put the Arc around 4 - 6 inches below the TV.

Thanks John.  I have a 75 inch TV.  It is 38 inches in height.  I have 9 foot ceilings.  I have not hung it yet.

I have read some people suggest putting the tv as high as 75 inches floor to center. (Which would put the bottom of the tv at 56 inches and the ARC at 50 inches, with your suggestions of 6 inches below TV)

Your suggestion of 1/3 up the screen would put the TV at about 49 inches floor to center, 30 inches floor to tv (about 2 feet lower)  and ARC at 2 feet off the ground.

Do you think that would work best?

I really don't think I should or can make that judgement for you. Although I will say that 76 inches floor to centre is too high in my view.

I suggest you Google 'what height to hang TV' to hear the various views.