Answered

How can I configure LG Magic remote with Sonos playbar. TV Model LG 55" 4K UHD OLED Smart-TV OLED55B7V

• 13 November 2017
  • 31 replies

How can I configure LG Magic remote with Sonos playbar. TV Model LG 55" 4K UHD OLED Smart-TV OLED55B7V
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 January 2018, 20:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
LG Sound Sync is designed to be used with LG soundbars. I think it includes some support for wireless audio as well, but it might be best to ask LG specifically what that setting does for your TV in particular. For Sonos, the first setting Audio Output is what you'd want to use.
Thanks Ryan S and CubanMama

I can confirm setting up ''soundbar'' using philips and remote type 1, removing stmlink in sound output works for me.

My setup
2017 LG C7
Optical out to Sonos playbar
TV is connect to my network via ethernet cable, while soundbar via sonos MESH network

What I did:
1.Press the top right button with STB PWR
2.Select set up soundbar
3.Select Philips as manufacturer
4.Select type 1 remote
5.exit to main menu, then select setup (the cogwheel under CH down), select all settings
6.under sound, select sound out, select "optical/HDMI'', turn off SIMPLINK. You will need to reselect optical/HDMI (not LG) again as it default to TV out
7.goto your desktop Sonos app, under home theatre (in rooms), right click and select home theatre setting, select TV settings, then remote setting. Remove and set up new remote
8.follow the instruction, basically wanting you to press volume up, then down x3 then mute
9.enjoy!

I do not have the problem some reported (slow volume change) but could be possibly due to slow Wifi environment? I think the LG magic remote maybe a wifi/BT only device.....
Badge

I have an LG 49SJ800V. What is the difference under sound out between Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) and LG Sound Sync (Optical)? Both output sound.

LG Sound Sync is for a Bluetooth connection to an optical device. I haven't tried it with the playbar setup discussed here.
Badge
In case others run into issues: I got the LG Magic Remote to connect (alongside my DirecTV remote working already) with a little configuration. Running an LG C8. Here's the step-by-step as of today:

- Press the Home icon
- Navigate to the right to "Device Connector"
- Choose "Sound Bar"
- Select the "Optical" radio button and hit next (in the top right)
- Select "Philips" as the manufacturer
- Select "Remote Type 4" (note, the buttons they prompt you to try didn't work at the time but do after it's setup.

And you're done. I now see the volume going up and down on the screen as I use the Magic Remote. Thanks for everyone else's answers that helped me smash this one together.
Hi everyone, for the LG Magic Remote there are some extra steps before you can pair it with your player. There's an article here that'll help. Go to Universal Remote Control for your LG TV and then choose Soundbar > Manufacturer > Philips. If it gives you a prompt about a power test or a setting number, just hit yes or select the first option and move on. Once that's done, go to the Sonos app and go to More > Settings > Room Settings > Choose the room for your PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE > TV Control and Setup > Replace this remote when prompted. This should do the trick and get that LG Magic Remote paired without any problems.

You may need to set the remote to Phillips remote type 3.

Thanks Ryan, really appreciate your suggestion.
it actually works.