Question

Honestly...does everyone just live with lip sync delay?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

"Honestly...does everyone just live with lip sync delay? "

"Ok, I'm happy there are satisfied customers out there, unfortunately these feel good stories aren't happening in my house!"

Me Dies! 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ok, I'm happy there are satisfied customers out there, unfortunately these feel good stories aren't happening in my house! One other thing: I've noticed that the lip sync problem gets progressively worse when I fast forward a bit on programs I've recorded on my DVR. For example last night I tried to re-watch the latest episode of Silicon Valley...it started off fine, very slight lip sync delay per usual...but then I pressed the "skip forward 30 secs" button a bunch of times in rapid succession and then started playing it again. At that point the lip sync delay was dramatically worse within the very same program I was watching, I mean truly unacceptably bad - like those old dubbed kung fu movies. Does that tell anyone more tech savvy than me anything about what's going on in my system? Also: is there any chance a poor/low home wifi signal in the part of my house where this is set up is contributing to the problem? Thanks.
I use my Playbar with a 43" Visio TV in the bedroom and have no lip sync problems at all.
I'd assert that a delay of only 1 ms would be impossible to discern.

PLAYBAR's inherent latency is 30 ms. This is to allow sufficient network buffering for the satellites (SUB, surrounds) to maintain sync without problem.

If lip-sync is an issue, and the TV can't delay the picture relative to its optical out, the only way to recover some latency 'budget' is to bypass the TV with the audio. TVs tend to take around 100-150 ms to process the video.

For external sources (cable, DTT, PVR, DVD, etc) with a digital out this is usually straightforward. Delay can then be added back as required, either in the PLAYBAR itself or in a digital audio delay device. The latter can be combined with a digital audio switch; google 'Felston' for example.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I also have a Samsung TV and was able to sync picture and audio perfectly using the Samsung's adjustment option, did not even have to touch the Sonos adjustment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have a Panasonic plasma TV and no issues with lip sync. My Apple TV and XBox go into an HDMI switch with optical output, as my TV doesn't pass 5.1 audio through from HDMI sources to the optical connection.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks but the issue never involves a need to delay the audio further. It's already delayed. It needs to go the other way...in a perfect world you'd tell the TV to delay the VIDEO by a millisecond to slow down to match the already delayed Sonos sound. Also, are you getting full 5.1 sound or only PCM?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks but the issue nevers involves a need to delay the audio further. It's already delayed. It needs to go the other way...in a perfect world you'd tell the TV to delay the VIDEO by a millisecond to slow down to match the already delayed Sonos sound.
Odd. I'm using a Samsung TV, set the Audio Delay on the SPDIF output to 20. Perfect sync.