Answered

DTS on LG series C for Sonos Arc

• 27 December 2021
  • 29 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Badge +1

thank you again @skullc 

So, you were right and the LG 2021 has eARC. But as it does not support DTS, will the ARCANA solve the issue for PCM multichannel reproduction or I will get PCM stereo 2.0 ?`

Or using the feature on my 4k player that allows me to transfer any DTS sound as PCM will solve the problem as the TV will not receive anymore DTS but PCM ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

With the C1, you will still have trouble with the UB9000/Arc alone no matter what settings you use on the UB9000 and the TV; it will always be Stereo PCM for any DTS variant audio disc. 

To get the conversion to multichannel pcm, I have a DR HDMI 4K device that allows the UB9000 and LG G1 to handshake properly and will send the converted data through to the Arc. This takes some manual setup on your PC to mess with the EDID stuff. I've heard the Arcana works for some as well and also that it doesn't after some update, but have not tried that myself. If you go either of those routes, I recommend putting the device between the UB9000 and the C1 so that all of your other devices (game consoles, etc) can flow through the C1 unimpeded.

If you sort the handshake problem between the C1/UB9000, the C1 will still report as multichannel PCM 7.1 always to the Arc, even for 5.1 mixes. I've heard mixed things about this, some say they lose 2 channels worth of audio, others say it sounds just fine. I still have not tested against a properly handled DTS variant mix, so can't comment accurately. It might be a "you don't know what you're missing thing".

The combo continues to he incredible for gaming (PS5/Xbox series x), Dolby audio discs and streaming movies/shows. Side note, the PS5 can be set up to report DTS variant audio as multichannel PCM 7.1 through the C1 to the Arc without the need of the little hdfury devices mentioned above...though you then won't get the quality of the UB9000 and it won't support Dolby Vision.

Regardless of the path you take, I wish you well! I spent entirely too long on this specific combo of technologies. I can't find a better combo out there for gaming, so I stick with the setup I have for now. I'm sure competitors will catch up...and offer their own combinations of problems in to the mix. In reality, there likely isn't and won't be a single setup that does everything you want the best which I have come to terms with.

Badge

I have a LG CX  with a panasonic ub820 4k player, and there was only one way i could get standard dts 5.1 surround from a older blu ray disc to work on my beam 2.

I did this using the optical out on the player, converted to hdmi (using the connector they supply) and going straight into the beam 2 and NOT the LG tv.

It means i have to pull out/swap the eArc cable from tv to beam 2, that is normally connected (which gives me atmos and dd hd), in order to get dts 5.1 surround from blu rays. But this is only on the occasion a fancy watching a older film from my collection.

I did it yesterday with valkyrie 2008.

Its a shame sonos dosen’t support DTS-HD though, i hope they do a update for it in the future.

Cheers m

Badge +1

Hello

Thank you all for your answers. 

Regarding the LG 2019, it works because LG does not support DTS since 2020. 

Regarding convert the DTS to PCM, well I tried that when Sonos was not compatible with DTS, and the sound that I got was PCM Stereo 2.0, so kind of sucks. I was using eARC in my TV. That is why I played those blurays using the Xbox Series X with the Dolby Application which converts the sound to Dolby Digital. It is not great, but it is much better than PCM Stereo 2.0 

Is there any other TV branch in OLED which support DTS ? Panasonic or Sony ? Or every single TV maker is unsupporting DTS. I spent 3000 Euros in my Sonos Home Cinema, 1000 in my Bluray 4k Player, and if I buy a new TV which is something between 3 and 4 thousand euros, well I would like to have the best picture/sound you can buy with that money. Not a nightmare just to play my 4k Blurays which don’t have Atmos, or my normal blurays. My Panasonic Bluray makes an amazing job up-scaling and now I can enjoy the best sound and picture with my current LG 2017. 

So, what might be your suggestion ? Buy an LG of 2019, if that is even possible ? Or perhaps Sony or Panasonic OLED still support DTS ?

Thank you again