Answered

DTS on LG series C for Sonos Arc

• 27 December 2021
  • 29 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Rhz1971 

Maybe you missed my other comment that the Audio on my LG is set to “pass-through”. With that setting the TV audio electronics are not involved. The audio “passes through” unabated. In short it doesn’t matter if the TV supports DTS sound or any codec for that matter via it’s internal speakers. Also as you see in the picture the DTS audio is processed by my Panasonic DP-UB9000.

Question: Do you know how to set the  audio “pass-through” option on your LG? BTW my 2020 and 2021 LG’s have that setting.

Badge +1

Hello

Thank you all for your answers. 

Regarding the LG 2019, it works because LG does not support DTS since 2020. 

Regarding convert the DTS to PCM, well I tried that when Sonos was not compatible with DTS, and the sound that I got was PCM Stereo 2.0, so kind of sucks. I was using eARC in my TV. That is why I played those blurays using the Xbox Series X with the Dolby Application which converts the sound to Dolby Digital. It is not great, but it is much better than PCM Stereo 2.0 

Is there any other TV branch in OLED which support DTS ? Panasonic or Sony ? Or every single TV maker is unsupporting DTS. I spent 3000 Euros in my Sonos Home Cinema, 1000 in my Bluray 4k Player, and if I buy a new TV which is something between 3 and 4 thousand euros, well I would like to have the best picture/sound you can buy with that money. Not a nightmare just to play my 4k Blurays which don’t have Atmos, or my normal blurays. My Panasonic Bluray makes an amazing job up-scaling and now I can enjoy the best sound and picture with my current LG 2017. 

So, what might be your suggestion ? Buy an LG of 2019, if that is even possible ? Or perhaps Sony or Panasonic OLED still support DTS ?

Thank you again 

Userlevel 7

Hi

I have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 connected to HDMI 3 on my LG OLED 65  Inch 2019 model with Audio set to “pass-through”. To listen to DTS over the Arc (connected to HDMI eARC) I change the Digital Audio Output on the Panasonic to “On” for BD-Video Secondary Audio as shown in the picture. I set it to “Off” when not viewing a DTS encoded disc. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

The new LG models do not support DTS pass through. But If you upgrade to a TV with HDMI eARC, you can set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM which would result in the Arc playing lossless multichannel PCM audio which sounds just as good as DTS-HD Master Audio. A TV with eARC will also allow you to play lossless Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos from supported Blu-ray discs too.