Don't need to watch the news in 5.1 surround sound

• 6 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
So got my 5.1 system yesterday with the Sonos Beam.
It appears it completely takes over the TV audio. I assumed that I would be able to choose when I wanted to use the Beam. You know for movies and things of that nature but would rather just use the TV speakers for causal listening. However it only seems to have audio with the Beam even when I use the Sony tv remote to change the setting to TV speakers it still outputs through the Beam. This means everything I watch will have the sub and surrounds on as well even though they may not be outputting anything.
Any easy way for me to configure when and when not to have the Beam active?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Why not just use the Beam for everything? It works just as well for the news as for a movie.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
The Beam activates the subwoofer and surround speakers none of which I like playing at 6 in the morning.
Turn off surrounds and sub in room settings when you don't want them.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I'm aware of the settings, being new I was hoping there was a feature or a more simple way of doing this or just having more control.
My last home theater system ran through a receiver so it was simple... turn the receiver on or off for surround sound.
Don't get me wrong I love my Sonos so far just getting acquainted.