Answered

Dolby Atmos with Sonos Arc and 2020 Samsung QLED (Q80T)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Mostly positive experience here. Received and set up SONOS ARC on Samsung Q8DT. No issues with set up. ATMOS shows on S2 App when using AppleTV 4K box. Haven’t messed much with Sammy Apps. I don’t think the local Disney+ App does ATMOS, while it does through the AppleTV box. I believe the AppleTV 4K self configured for ATMOS when I attached the ARC.

Only irritant, besides slight lip sync issue, is that the ARC does not show volume level numbers. I am on Comcast Cable Xfinity service. A poster there suggested changing the cable box output to Stereo will correct the lip-sync on cable programming. it does !!!! So I think it does appear to be an issue within the Dolby Digital codec that is the lip sync culprit.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have the same TV as the OP, ARC, Two SL1’s and Gen 2 Sub and have had no issues with Atmos playback and content from Netflix or Prime Video.

The lip sync is definitely an issue but I was able to fix that by going to the Samsung expert settings and taking the audio delay to zero (I believe it’s set to set to 80 or 100) at baseline. Then you can change the lip sync delay in the native Sonos app (system - select your device - tv dialogue sync). Once I got rid of the audio delay on the Samsung my lip sync wasn’t an issue anymore. 

Ultimately I was able to get Dolby Atmos to display with the Netflix app but Disney + and Prime still do not display atmos. Might just be the native apps on the Samsung TV. 

Has anyone had any luck getting the native Disney+ and Apple+ apps to put out Dolby Atmos yet? I see it working for Prime but no luck on those two. I have the Samsung Q80T and Sonos Arc. If the Samsung seems problematic, does anyone have experience with the native apps on the Sony XBR 90CH? I hate the idea that I spent this much on a flagship TV only to have to spend another $100 for an external device like Apple TV to get the right sound output I also paid premium for. Thanks! 

I have not been able to get the Native apps to work, but an Amazon Fire Stick 4K is my current workaround and if you keep an eye out for deals you can get them for $20 or so … not ideal, but not too frustrating either.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

My settings are a couple of posts above. Have a look and make sure yours are set the same. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m sorry I wish I had an direct answer - Personally I always run an Ethernet connection to my streaming devices which includes my TVs unless I just don’t care about quality (like in the guest room). There are a lot of variables when it comes to wireless connections. I just find going straight to the router works best for me. Have you tried that? No promises but it will give you the best possible thorough put. 4K sucks a lot of bandwidth. 

Badge

My settings are a couple of posts above. Have a look and make sure yours are set the same. 

Yes I copied you hoping it would work. Should Disney plus come out in Atmos? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes I copied you hoping it would work. Should Disney plus come out in Atmos? 

I don’t have Disney +.  When I use the Apple TV Plus app I am only able to get DD+ with eArc off or 5.1 Muti Channel PCM with eArc on. 

I have this same Samsung TV and just received the Arc today.  It setup beautifully, and sounds great (with a couple of rear Sonos One SL speakers….Sub on the way).  I originally had the same question as the original poster, but I just streamed Jack Ryan on amazon prime (using the Samsung TV native app) as a test. Dolby Atmos didn’t appear on the Now Playing  screen. I went to Settings > About my system on the Sonos app, however, and I saw Dolby Atmos as the audio input to the Arc. When I went back to the Now Playing screen, Dolby Atmos was there….go figure. 

so, it looks like Dolby Atmos can stream from the native apps on this Costco Q8DT!