Answered

Dolby Atmos with Sonos Arc and 2020 Samsung QLED (Q80T)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

On my set up I have eArc enabled, Atmos enabled. I am watching Netflix  Night  on Earth and the app is indicating Atmos. If I turn eArc off the app shows Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital +).  I purchased my TV 10 days ago. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

In response to your original post, DD+ is translated to Atmos (compressed) via HDMI ARC on limited content on Amazon prime such as Jack Ryan (only season 1). Apple tv and Disney as direct apps built into the Samsung tv do not output Atmos. Netflix as an internal tv app does output Atmos where content allows. 

I believe the external Apple TV device is the way to obtain Atmos on Apple Content.

eARC enabled should allow sound from compressed and uncompressed sources such as Dolby TruHD Atmos as found on 4K UHD Blu Rays etc

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Can I ask, are any of the users above including the OP getting any sound out of the ARC when HDMI-eARC Mode is set to Auto.

We have identified an issue where no sound is present through any source once eARC is set to Auto.

Can you confirm please?

Planning to get the same combination Q80T with Sonos Arc. Kinda afraid because i am reading several problems with 2020 Samsung QLED with the Arc.

@Jackh 

Did you get your problem solved? 

Otherwise i don’t have to buy an e-ARC TV if it does not work. Thinking about the LG 2020 Nano series instead. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have the same TV as the OP, ARC, Two SL1’s and Gen 2 Sub and have had no issues with Atmos playback and content from Netflix or Prime Video.

TV shows “Receiver (HDMI-eARC)”

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the q95t and I have my Arc wired straight into hdmi 3 (eARC) the Arc only shows the Arc as a HDMI Receiver as opposed to Receiver eARC - I have a horrible audio delay when using Atmos on my Xbox One X and I think a possible fix could be to enable audio pass through on the TV but this is only possible on eARC devices, which for some reason it doesn't seem to think the Arc is. Does your Q80T display the Arc as HDMI receiver or HDMI eARC?

Thanks

I have this same Samsung TV and just received the Arc today.  It setup beautifully, and sounds great (with a couple of rear Sonos One SL speakers….Sub on the way).  I originally had the same question as the original poster, but I just streamed Jack Ryan on amazon prime (using the Samsung TV native app) as a test. Dolby Atmos didn’t appear on the Now Playing  screen. I went to Settings > About my system on the Sonos app, however, and I saw Dolby Atmos as the audio input to the Arc. When I went back to the Now Playing screen, Dolby Atmos was there….go figure. 

so, it looks like Dolby Atmos can stream from the native apps on this Costco Q8DT!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m sorry I wish I had an direct answer - Personally I always run an Ethernet connection to my streaming devices which includes my TVs unless I just don’t care about quality (like in the guest room). There are a lot of variables when it comes to wireless connections. I just find going straight to the router works best for me. Have you tried that? No promises but it will give you the best possible thorough put. 4K sucks a lot of bandwidth.