Dolby Atmos causing audio on Arc to "pop" then cuts out

• 8 November 2021
  • 82 replies

I purchased a Sony KD85X91J in July equipped with eARC so I could listen to content from my Apple TV 4K in Dolby Atmos. The problem I have is whenever I play Atmos content (and ONLY Atmos content). Every so often the Arc has a quick popping sound followed by the Arc losing audio until I back out of the Atmos content I was watching. When I back out I can start the content again in Atmos and it will work for a while until the pop and audio cut out happens again. 

I have a 5.1 setup with the Arc, 2 One SL’s and a Gen 3 sub. The bass and surrounds still play audio after the cut out. Only the Arc is affected. 

The HDMI cables i am using are both rated to handle Atmos content. Link to the cables being used is below. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1CGQ9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there a fix for this issue? It’s very frustrating investing into a system that cannot deliver what it advertises and I’m hoping theres something I’m missing that will easily solve the issue. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Thanks. Unless this is only happening to a small percentage of Sonos Arc users, I’m (for now) not going to invest $800 in a soundbar that doesn’t support the Apple TV 4K box.

Userlevel 1

After reading this thread, I’m now uncertain about purchasing a Sonos Arc!

I was planning on using it with my Apple TV 4K, but it appears this setup may be glitchy at best.

Is this still an issue with most Apple TV 4K users?  I’ve seen some “solutions” that involve turning off Dolby Atmos, but that kinda defeats a huge reason for purchasing the Sonos Arc.

Just remember, this does not seem to be isolated to SONOS users. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I was planning on using it with my Apple TV 4K, but it appears this setup may be glitchy at best.

Is this still an issue with most Apple TV 4K users?  I’ve seen some “solutions” that involve turning off Dolby Atmos, but that kinda defeats a huge reason for purchasing the Sonos Arc.

If I had known of this issue and read this thread prior to purchasing Sonos, I would have never purchased Sonos. Especially after reading what Sonos customer service is telling their customers.

”The solution is simple. Turn off Dolby Atmos, the specific feature of why you bought our Sonos Arc in the first place” Insert  Tom Hanks Golden Globes meme. Or any meme that defines the term Are You ….. kidding me?!?!?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Just remember, this does not seem to be isolated to SONOS users. 

As was previously stated by ProfessorFrag and myself and so many others on this thread, every single “evidence” that our SPECIFIC POP no audio issue IS Isolated to SONOS.  Why are people on this thread who seem to either be employees of Sonos, or somehow affiliated, trying to convince people who have paid a premium price for a defective product, that Sonos is not the problem. What is your purpose? 

You even agreed our specific Sonos Arc issue is NOT the same as the Dolby Atmos crackling sound issue. So to anyone reading. Just remember this IS an isolated Sonos product issue. And please read the entire thread, before you post. All of these supposedly “helpful” opinions of how Sonos isn’t responsible for issues we’re dealing with. 

Do you even know what this thread is for? 

If I had known of this issue and read this thread prior to purchasing Sonos, I would have never purchased Sonos. Especially after reading what Sonos customer service is telling their customers.

”The solution is simple. Turn off Dolby Atmos, the specific feature of why you bought our Sonos Arc in the first place” Insert  Tom Hanks Golden Globes meme. Or any meme that defines the term Are You ….. kidding me?!?!?

I agree completely!  Surely SOMEONE at either Apple or Sonos knows the root cause of this? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks. Unless this is only happening to a small percentage of Sonos Arc users, I’m (for now) not going to invest $800 in a soundbar that doesn’t support the Apple TV 4K box.

This is happening to EVERY Sonos Arc User who plugs in an Xbox Series X to an E-Arc Television and a Sonos Arc.

so yeah, avoid Sonos completely unless they come up with a solution, considering that this is a 2 year old known issue. I wouldn’t have any faith in this brand. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I agree completely!  Surely SOMEONE at either Apple or Sonos knows the root cause of this? 

This has nothing to do with Apple. I’ve said previously, I’ve used my Apple 4KTV and Sonos Arc for years playing Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision content, with Zero issues. Until I thought to purchase and plug in an Xbox Series X, and ever since that day. My Sonos Arc now has the permanent and specific LOUD POP audio loss issue playing any Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos content from ANY source.

This is a long thread, so I understand why most people wouldn’t read through this. However, when you spend over $1000 on your sound system, you take the time to read, and research various sources that can provide information that is accurate and specific. So we can hopefully not feel buyer’s remorse. Because now we’re stuck with a fancy soundbar system that can no longer play the content we purchased it for. 

As I’ve said before, Sonos will never acknowledge this issue or warn their consumers and potential consumers, as it would prove too costly for their profits. This is a small company relatively speaking. 

Read through this thread, all of the recent posts and naysayers reasons for how this isn’t a Sonos issue have been addressed, etc etc etc etc. Just take the time to read.