Answered

Disappointed....

• 17 January 2019
  • 10 replies

New Sub arrived, Discovered the only way I can connect to my already +$1000 Sonos home set up is through existing play bar or other sonos.. No solo control over the Sub to match up with the deep bass I’m looking for. $699 and no Sub “only” control??? I’m pissed.
icon

Best answer by Chris 17 January 2019, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Guess you should have researched what you are buying. Are you saying you don't want it to crossover with speaker and just want it to add bass only. Yea its meant to be crossover bass with a speaker its paired to. Send it back if its not what you want but no need to be upset because it functions as intended.

If you want just a zone bass only no crossover with other speakers your best bet is a Sonos Connect hooked to a standard wired subwoofer.
Userlevel 7
New Sub arrived, Discovered the only way I can connect to my already +$1000 Sonos home set up is through existing play bar or other sonos.. No solo control over the Sub to match up with the deep bass I’m looking for. $699 and no Sub “only” control??? I’m pissed.

Hi tjdavis

Obviously, you didn't do your research. The links below give you all the information you need regarding the Sonos Sub.

Since you just received the sub you should be able to return it and get your $699. That said...where is your problem? Hopefully, you didn't destroy the packaging.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sub.html

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fsub%2Fsub.htm

Edit: Looks like while I was gathering links Chris was posting.:8
Chris, shouldn’t have to research. That’s the whole point of initially buying into this “plug and play” system. I’m 7 years into 1 play bar, 3 play 1’s, 1 play 5 that I’ve been happy with. No need to attack me. I’m dissappointed that the sub doesn’t allow me to add and control on the app. Why would Sonos not allow that function?
Chris, shouldn’t have to research.

I suppose some people might be pretty good at assuming what a product does by it's name and what it looks like, but I'm horrible at it. I highly recommend to everyone to verify a product has all the features they are interested in before buying it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm just not sure I understand what you mean? not being rude but I have the sub and found it great and the bass is controllable too. The beauty of the Sub is that once paired to a speaker it removes the the low frequencies from those speakers and allows them to do their prime job with the mids and highs. This frees them up massively, especially if you have a couple of play 1's, but it is great with Play 5s too. The sub can then be adjusted through the advanced audio section within the room it is set in. I can't think why it would ever be set up in any other way. This is the optimum way for the best sound.
You’re not being rude at all. I just don’t understand why I can’t adjust the sub frequency and volume by itself. I get it’s a crossover, but why can’t it also have the option to be a separate speaker/sub on the app that gives me full control just like the rest of the speakers?
Does this help?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927#Sub_settings

Changing the Sub Settings

Follow the steps below if you wish to make any changes to the Sub settings.

Using the Sonos App for iOS or Android
1.Open the Sonos app. From the More tab, tap Settings > Room Settings.
2.Select the room the home theater speakers and Sub are located in. It appears as Room (+Sub) on the Room Settings menu.
3.Select Advanced Audio > Sub Settings.
4.Choose one of the following: •Sub: Choose On or Off to turn the sound from the Sub on and off.
•Sub Level Adjustment: Drag your finger across the slider to increase or decrease the volume of the Sub. (You can use this setting to match the subwoofer level to the level of your main speakers.)
•Placement Adjustment (phase): Select On or Off.
While I appreciate your support, I already know these settings. What I’m looking for is full control of the sub without having to pair with any other speaker or play bar on my system. Is that possible?
No. Not possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
While I appreciate your support, I already know these settings. What I’m looking for is full control of the sub without having to pair with any other speaker or play bar on my system. Is that possible?
This makes no sense. Do you want to play the SUB on its own for some reason? Or paired with non-Sonos equipment?

When the SUB is paired with other Sonos speakers, Sonos knows exactly the right crossover frequencies, etc., and alters the response of the speakers due to the presence of the SUB. This is far more sophisticated than any manual configuration would be.