Answered

DD+ on the Beam

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think DD+ would be good in cases where TV do not translate DD+ into DD, for instance when you rely on a Chromecast on an older TV for apps like Netflix. But I do wonder what jump in quality people expect from built in apps or cable TV when the Beam would get DD+. Would this really be noticeable if comparable bitrates are used?

Technology Dolby Audio Dolby Digital Plus | Dolby Developer 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi folks, this would be the perfect representation. 

More here https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US.

The Sonos Beam is only capable up to 5.1 Surround sound (Dolby Digital). Let us know if you need anything. 

@Krishma M

Your lack of knowledge on this matter astounds me.

For the third time - I am not talking about ATMOS over HDMI ARC. I am talking about DD+ 5.1 over HDMI ARC. It's a thing.... look it up!

Please do some homework before you come back with the same generic response. 

They aren't going to tell you about the timing for an unannounced feature in a support forum.  Just the reality of the situation.  Is there a reason you need DD+?  Maybe there is a workaround to get DD 5.1?  You aren't going to hear any difference on a Beam between DD+ and DD 5.1, but I get the frustration if you are using a Roku.  That was a major PITA for me with the Playbar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Shobhit Are you sure that the fact your stand alone Beam does is playing DD 2.0 is caused by the lack of DD+ support? From what I’ve seen on both my 2011 Samsung and my 2019 Samsung is that both TV’s do decode DD+ from apps on the TV to DD, so on both TV’s I get 5.1 surround On the Beam (plus One plus Sub). The only case where I did not get succeed in getting 5.1 was from a Chromecast on the 2011 TV, probably caused by the Chromecast not being able to provide DD and the TV not being able to decode DD+ fro external sources.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Does DD+ improve the audio quality for a setup with a Beam by itself, or in a 5.1 setup?  I could be off on this, but I thought ‘+’ enabled 7.1 audio and/or atmos content, which could not be utilized with the Beam’s current capabilities.

It does have a higher data rate so I guess the 5.1 might sound a little better but I doubt most people would notice a difference?

@106rallye: Its working with Prime Video in DD 5.1, but with Netflix and Hotstar am getting DD 2.0.

I tested with Beam in my setup (I still have to get Sub and Surround):

When I play on Netflix (eg: Man of Steel, Wanted etc), DD+ is disabled under “Expert Settings” in Samsung tv sound settings, and I choose DD option on tV which streams DD 2.0 to Beam. Screenshots below:

Samsung tv:

Samsung tv Sound Settings for Netflix/Hotstar/Disney+: UA 55NU7100

Beam:

BEAM on NETFLIX/Hotstar/Disney+

When I play on Prime Video (eg: Manifest, Harry Potter 6 etc), DD+ is enabled (unlike in netflix) under “Expert Settings” in Samsung tv sound settings, but i dont get any sound on Beam if I chose DD+, so I choose DD option on tv which streams DD 5.1 to Beam. Screenshots below:

Samsung tv Sound settings with prime video:

sAMSUNG TV sound setting with prime video app

Beam with prime video:

Beam with prime video app on TV

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Shobhit

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I would happily pay $20 for the priviledge. Beam is $700 here in New Zealand. Arc is $1600