Answered

DD+ on the Beam

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I would happily pay $20 for the priviledge. Beam is $700 here in New Zealand. Arc is $1600

Sonos constantly add new features and do not charge current customers for the privilege. If they add DD+ this shouldn't change that. DD+ is included on every cheap sound bar, $700 beam and amp should have had it from Day 1 imo. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. As of the moment, the Sonos ARC is the only device that is capable to play any Dolby Atmos content as long as we’re using HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC. The hardware capabilities of the Sonos Beam is different from the Sonos ARC. They were designed accordingly but appreciate your feedback. We’ll surely forward this to our development team. Thanks! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I would happily pay $20 for the priviledge. Beam is $700 here in New Zealand. Arc is $1600

Does DD+ improve the audio quality for a setup with a Beam by itself, or in a 5.1 setup?  I could be off on this, but I thought ‘+’ enabled 7.1 audio and/or atmos content, which could not be utilized with the Beam’s current capabilities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Also: how much would you pay for DD+? If somehow it suddenly was added, Sonos would need to charge you the codec license fee that obviously has not been paid to date for their hardware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m curious about this too - I can understand that Sonos would not want to change everything at once with S2, but DD+ on my Beam, SMB v2 or v3 support and an end to the 64k limit (the last above all) would be the first things that I would want to be added.