Connection other than Optical

• 25 July 2022
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi, I am hoping someone can help.

We have recently purchased the Sonos Ray sound bar and we have only just realised that the optical on our television doesn't work.  

We have a spare HDMI port on our television,  is there any other way of connecting the sound bar to my television without using the optical port? 

Our TV is a smart TV with WiFi if that makes any difference.  

Thank you. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Further thought - are you sure the optical cable is fully seated at both ends?  And you have removed the little plastic caps that optical cables often come with?

Hi.  The fact that it is smart and can connect by Wifi is not relevant here.  

You will need your TV to have an HDMI-ARC output, not just HDMI.  Unless it is an old TV it should have that.  I think you could then use a converter like the one linked below.

I have never done this and cannot guarantee it will work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Multifunction-BolAAzuL192kHz-Digital/dp/B07Y55NM42

Another possibility would be to run the optical cable from a satellite or cable box, but that depends on how you source your content.