Beam Gen 2 metallic/robotic sound since update

• 22 November 2021
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

When you hear the metallic sound, which you mention is coming ‘through’ your TV, can you check both the ‘Now Playing’ screen’ and the Beams ‘Audio In’ section in the ‘about box’ in your Sonos App - I’m just wondering that if it’s coming via your TV, if the TV is processing the audio in some way before it’s output to the Beam - It might help to pin-point the TV codec that’s possibly causing the issue.

If it is the TV that’s processing the audio through its ports - you might be able to set the audio to pass-through the TV instead, without being processed, but it depends on the features that the TV supports in its settings ..and the exact origin/journey of the audio to the Beam that’s causing you this issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I wanted to bump this as I’m experiencing the same thing. The effect is similar to two sources being slightly out of phase and is particularly apparent with atmospheric sounds on Dolby Atmos audio which leads me to believe it’s related to processing. Any crowd or pub scene now sounds like a weird robot army is present - Ted Lasso is virtually unwatchable! I’d love to know if this is something Sonos is going to fix any time soon?

That's actually a really decent description of the issue. It's very hard to explain it unless you were to actually hear it. I watch a lot of live sport, and any crowd noise has this distortion to it. There hasn't been an update to the Beam in a while. Holding out hope there's an improvement in the next one. 

Hey, ive recently purchase a beam gen 2 as you have and have encountered the same problem with the metallic audio / tinny audio. It happens during 5.1 content and I have even put the sound bar up to my ear and can hear staticy / tinny audio espeically during dialog. This is the only forum post ive found regarding this issue and was wondering if you ever found a solution to this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey, ive recently purchase a beam gen 2 as you have and have encountered the same problem with the metallic audio / tinny audio. It happens during 5.1 content and I have even put the sound bar up to my ear and can hear staticy / tinny audio espeically during dialog. This is the only forum post ive found regarding this issue and was wondering if you ever found a solution to this?

Hi Michael. No solution I'm afraid. I've retuned on TruePlay a few times aswell with no success. It's a software issue and will need to be patched. Interestingly I connected the Beam to my TV through the HDMI-Optical adapter the other day and the issue was still there. This would rule out eArc/Arc being the problem. I'd raise the issue with Sonos support, as the more who complain of the issue the more likely it is to be fixed. 

@Shnakey & @Michael_2599,

What TV make/model are you each using with the Beam? I’m wondering if there is anything Sonos Staff may need to look at there too?

I'm also experiencing this issue with my Beam 2. Using it on a Sony X950H. It happens with environment noises or noises with heavy bass tones. Everything from games, TV shows, blu rays and streaming apps. Music is fine and seems to have no problem. It's extremely frustrating and no change in TV settings or Sonos app seems to fix it. 

Userlevel 1

I'm also experiencing this issue with my Beam 2. Using it on a Sony X950H. It happens with environment noises or noises with heavy bass tones. Everything from games, TV shows, blu rays and streaming apps. Music is fine and seems to have no problem. It's extremely frustrating and no change in TV settings or Sonos app seems to fix it. 

Yes, sadly nothing is gonna fix it except a firmware update.
I saw earlier in this topic that maybe the sony TV were the issue but no, I tried on 2 LG TV, and the issue is the same.

I saw earlier in this topic that maybe the sony TV were the issue but no, I tried on 2 LG TV, and the issue is the same.

Do you know if the Arc has the same problem? 

Hi all,

Would like to give a quick update. I tested the beam on a seperate TV, a Samsung LED60. The TV is older but still a smart TV and once the beam was plugged in things seemed promising up until I changed my PS5s audio output to 5.1 and the TV output to DTS instead of PCM (DTS is the only other output the tv supports). Once again Ive run into the same audio issues, dialog / effects in games on my PS5 sound tinny and robotic / washed out. Not sure if this narrows it down to software and eliminates hardware issues but thats something that was noted. Another thing is PCM and 2.1ch does eliminate the sound issues but whats the point of using 2.1 if I have purchase a product that is meant to be capable of 5.1ch.  

Userlevel 1

Do you know if the Arc has the same problem? 

@Bel_sprout I have a friend who got the Arc and he doesn’t have this issue.
But I saw a forum (don’t remember where) where a guy with the arc seemed to have the same problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi all,

Would like to give a quick update. I tested the beam on a seperate TV, a Samsung LED60. The TV is older but still a smart TV and once the beam was plugged in things seemed promising up until I changed my PS5s audio output to 5.1 and the TV output to DTS instead of PCM (DTS is the only other output the tv supports). Once again Ive run into the same audio issues, dialog / effects in games on my PS5 sound tinny and robotic / washed out. Not sure if this narrows it down to software and eliminates hardware issues but thats something that was noted. Another thing is PCM and 2.1ch does eliminate the sound issues but whats the point of using 2.1 if I have purchase a product that is meant to be capable of 5.1ch.  

Just to clarify. Were you experiencing the metallic sound on other inputs and apps apart from the PS5?

In my case I'm having the problem on all the TV apps and external inputs - PS5, set top box etc.