Beam Gen 2 metallic/robotic sound since update

• 22 November 2021
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

If it is the TV that’s processing the audio through its ports - you might be able to set the audio to pass-through the TV instead, without being processed, but it depends on the features that the TV supports in its settings ..and the exact origin/journey of the audio to the Beam that’s causing you this issue.

When you hear the metallic sound, which you mention is coming ‘through’ your TV, can you check both the ‘Now Playing’ screen’ and the Beams ‘Audio In’ section in the ‘about box’ in your Sonos App - I’m just wondering that if it’s coming via your TV, if the TV is processing the audio in some way before it’s output to the Beam - It might help to pin-point the TV codec that’s possibly causing the issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Shnakey,

Nope, I have both a Beam (gen1) and (gen2) and neither of them have a metallic sound - Assuming others in your household are hearing this too, maybe make a video of what you’re hearing (if the sound can be captured with a mobile/tablet recording) and post it online for others to see and to perhaps show to Sonos Support Staff in conjunction with a system diagnostic report.

It’s certainly not something we are encountering with the HT products here.

It's immediately audible to anyone who watches anything at my place. I've been in contact with Sonos Support and they've ran diagnostics. I've also sent sound samples as well. I was reassured that the issue would be sorted, but I'm sceptical of this if there are few others with the issue (if anyone at all). I was told by one person on support there had been multiple RMAs for issues such as this, while another told me there wasn't. I may try and get a recording with my mic and post here. I'm still within my return window so I may well return it in the coming weeks. It was a top notch piece of kit up until the DTS update. 

@Shnakey,

Nope, I have both a Beam (gen1) and (gen2) and neither of them have a metallic sound - Assuming others in your household are hearing this too, maybe make a video of what you’re hearing (if the sound can be captured with a mobile/tablet recording) and post it online for others to see and to perhaps show to Sonos Support Staff in conjunction with a system diagnostic report.

It’s certainly not something we are encountering with the HT products here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I thought I might reply here to bump this topic.

The issue is still present despite an RMA and the most recent update. After some more testing I've noted that the metallic/robotic sounds only happen when playing content through the TV. Spotify/Amazon Music etc play fine. The TV isn't the issue either as it only started happening after the DTS update. I've also tested another eArc soundbar and the issue wasn't present. 

Has anyone else on the forums noticed this issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Really weird, not seen this on my Gen 1 or Gen 2.

as it is all sources from TV and Sonos directly streaming, I would run a diagnostic report from the Sonos app and contact support with the diagnostics ID for them to look at.

only other thing you could try is a full reset of the Beam to see if that fixes it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What is your music source?

All music within video from any source. Inbuilt TV apps, external outputs on the TV. The metallic sound is across all audio on the Beam. It also doesn't matter the audio format. 

Userlevel 7

What is your music source?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Trueplay tuning should be performed regardless. It will optimize the audio from the Beam in your room.

You might also redo the TV Setup process in the Sonos app before you perform Trueplay:

Disconnect everything from your TV and unplug the TV and Beam from power for a couple of minutes. Plug the TV and Beam back into power but keep everything else disconnected. Be sure CEC is enabled on the TV. Run the TV Setup process in the Sonos app and connect the Beam to the TV when the app instructs you to using the HDMI cable that came with the Beam. When the Beam has been successfully connected, connect your other devices to your TV.

Got hold of an Apple device and ran Trueplay. Before that, I followed all the steps above and still no improvement. I've isolated it to being most noticeable when music is playing. It's definitely since the newest update, the sound seems to have degraded considerably.

Userlevel 7

Trueplay tuning should be performed regardless. It will optimize the audio from the Beam in your room.

You might also redo the TV Setup process in the Sonos app before you perform Trueplay:

Disconnect everything from your TV and unplug the TV and Beam from power for a couple of minutes. Plug the TV and Beam back into power but keep everything else disconnected. Be sure CEC is enabled on the TV. Run the TV Setup process in the Sonos app and connect the Beam to the TV when the app instructs you to using the HDMI cable that came with the Beam. When the Beam has been successfully connected, connect your other devices to your TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When do you hear the sound? Try unplugging the Beam from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router.

I've tried that with no success. Someone over on Reddit suggested running TruPlay. I never ran it to begin with so not sure it'll make a difference. 

Userlevel 7

When do you hear the sound? Try unplugging the Beam from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router.