Question

Arc with Amp-powered in-ceiling rear speakers - impact on Atmos?

• 11 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I currently have two in-ceiling speakers installed in my basement to the rear of my couch, which I intend to use for a home theatre. I was considering the Sonos Arc given its support for Dolby Atmos at a reasonable price. However, I was wondering if using the in-ceiling speakers in tandem with the Arc for surrounds would have an enhancing effect, negligible difference or an adverse impact. My worry is that the in-ceiling speakers may interfere with the up-firing speakers on the Arc… is this something that Trueplay will calibrate for? I am aware that the Dolby setup guide recommends surrounds on the same level as the side channels, but just checking if anyone has had direct experience with it.

Additionally, my in-ceiling speakers are slightly offset and the TV does not sit perfectly between them on the left/right plane. Would that suggest that their use as surrounds may be sub-optimal?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @hotdoghero @Seabass1992 

The FAQ’s for the Arc indicate that in-ceiling speakers can be used as surrounds with no exception indicated for Dolby Atmos material. However, I would recommend using Sonos In-Ceiling speakers by Sonance powered by a Sonos Amp.  The Sonos Amp and Sonos branded in-ceiling speakers are the only combination that will lend themselves to TruePlay tuning. 

Cheers!

Nothing yet and I've definitely asked around. Seems like no one is really opting for this kind of setup. I might just do it and see how it goes. Not a huge audiophile either way.

Did you find your answer? I have the same exact question. Wondering if I should switch beam out for an arc. Worried the in cieling speakers would do it a disservice.