Arc doesn't work with Samsung TV Q95T : If you want Dolby Atmos avoid Samsung Flagship TV's

Userlevel 2

I bought a New Samsung TV and Sonos ARC Soundbar last week: 

Samsung TV Model QE65Q95TATXXU

Software Version : 1115.5

Connected Sonos Arc to the eARC port 3 on the TV and the Arc only delivers any sound when the eARC is switched off (no Sound on Automatic). The Sound output on the TV is only recognising the ARC as connected to HDMI when it should recognise it as connected to the eARC HDMI port. The Dolby ATMOS compatibility button makes no difference when on or off. Pass through setting makes no difference. Dolby Atmos (DD+) is recognised by the SONOS App when playing directly from Netfix App on TV, this means the TV and SONOS ARC are not talking to each other and not recognising the eARC signal (it should say DOLBY Atmos not DOLBY Atmos DD+). Checked all connections and have rebooted both TV and Soundbar with no success

Not ideal when the TV and Sound Bar cost over £3500, I just want it to work and thats what should be delivered by SONOS.

Spoke to SONOS Support (Xander P) and these are the quotes from him:

It does look like there may be some issues arising when the eARC function on the TV is enabled. DD+ is capable of carrying a compressed ATMOS signal, so you should still be able to experience ATMOS from your Arc. In the mean time however there's no fix for this.

I'm not able to give you a solid answer right now unfortunately, however the Arc is known to work with other TVs so my inclination would be that this is a Samsung issue. We are certainly aware of this however and we are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this resolved.

I would expect this to be fixable via a Firmware update, however I can't guarantee this unfortunately.

We are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this issue resolved. Due to the huge number of TV models and manufacturers, issues such as this do sometimes arise - in any case we are looking in to getting it resolved and we are happy to assist any customers which are affected by this issue.

So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's. No firm promise of a fix, not very impressed with SONOS at this point as Samsung could be classed as a major supplier of global premium TV's and you would have thought that SONOS would have ensured their premium soundbar would work with the new Samsung Flagship range, but apparently not.

Suggest SONOS and Samsung get their act together and sort out the issue.

92 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

glad to hear others are able to get it working as well.

So far, I have had 2 instances where the sound dropped and in those cases i switched the e-arc back to off, that way I could get sound again.

then turning the TV off and turning e-arc back on again, the sound was working fine.

not sure why it drops sometimes, but perhaps some glitches still. Hopefully it remains working for the most part

Badge

Hi,

i am planning to use a similar setup with a Samsung GQ55Q95TGT and a Sonos Arc as well. But I was hoping to use the Apple TV 4K connected to the TV. Does this make sense and will the TV be able to pass through Dolby Atmos now with the new software update? 

I understood that HDfury Arcana might be helpful, but I’m wondering if I need this at all now?

Thank you. 

I’ve the Sonos Arc and just purchased a Samsung 65 Q95T, its running 1402, one connect box, and have eArc turned on, sound initially worked only as stereo for Sky Q,  the TV just recognises the soundbar as a receiver unlike my Q90R which knew it was an Arc as soon as it was plugged in. For Sky I’ve changed the output from PCM/Auto to pass through and according to the Sonos app I’m receiving all the correct sound, Netflix and other streaming apps seem to work fine when its set to PCM/Auto. Not getting any issues sound wise at the moment. Going to test it all weekend and any issues the TV will be going back on Monday. If the Sonos app is showing all the correct sound inputs I am to take it all is working now as intended?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It’s baffling. I have a samsung 950T with one connect box, running sky and native apps. I have had the problem from the day I purchased the Arc on both sky and the native apps and the inbuilt tv receiver. For a while, some days that I turned the tv on i would get the i second sound drop...for the last three weeks it happens every single time the tv is turned on. The only way I have found to sort it is to pull out the hdmi lead for a few seconds to get tv sound, and then reconnect again. For me, this is both a problem that should never be happening with such expensive items from both companies, and also is now a problem that is worse than ever. Six months of misery.

This worked for me;

1. disconnect eARC cable
  2. reset tv
  3. reset arc
  4. install arc and follow exact instructions.

55” 2020 the frame with ARC bar.

talked with both sonos and Samsung support.

Sonos blames Samsung for not following standards. They also said that the Samsung firmware update from 7th December should/will work.

Samsung just asked me to the above list. The update is downloadable and upgrade through usb stick but I didn’t manage that to work.

didn’t think the reinstall would work but it actually did.

cheers

I’m in Australia.

I have a new Sonos Arc, Sub, Five and Samsung Q95T 75”.

Sound intermittently cuts out for a second every few seconds. Can be resolved by playing around with sound settings - but reverts back to same problem every time TV is turned off and on. Using in built streaming apps. 

Is there a solution that doesn’t involve me getting angry every time I turn on the TV and spending 5 mins changing settings, only to feel like I’m getting compromised sound as a result? 

Pretty sure all firmware is up to date. 

Thanks (hopefully) in advance!

Does anyone with a Q90T use the TV stand (no wall mounting)? I’m about to buy a 85” Q90T and I’m wondering if the Arc has feet that would enable it to go over the TV stand, or if I’ll have to put the Arc in front of the stand?

I bought a New Samsung TV and Sonos ARC Soundbar last week: 

Samsung TV Model QE65Q95TATXXU

Software Version : 1115.5

Connected Sonos Arc to the eARC port 3 on the TV and the Arc only delivers any sound when the eARC is switched off (no Sound on Automatic). The Sound output on the TV is only recognising the ARC as connected to HDMI when it should recognise it as connected to the eARC HDMI port. The Dolby ATMOS compatibility button makes no difference when on or off. Pass through setting makes no difference. Dolby Atmos (DD+) is recognised by the SONOS App when playing directly from Netfix App on TV, this means the TV and SONOS ARC are not talking to each other and not recognising the eARC signal (it should say DOLBY Atmos not DOLBY Atmos DD+). Checked all connections and have rebooted both TV and Soundbar with no success

Not ideal when the TV and Sound Bar cost over £3500, I just want it to work and thats what should be delivered by SONOS.

Spoke to SONOS Support (Xander P) and these are the quotes from him:

It does look like there may be some issues arising when the eARC function on the TV is enabled. DD+ is capable of carrying a compressed ATMOS signal, so you should still be able to experience ATMOS from your Arc. In the mean time however there's no fix for this.

I'm not able to give you a solid answer right now unfortunately, however the Arc is known to work with other TVs so my inclination would be that this is a Samsung issue. We are certainly aware of this however and we are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this resolved.

I would expect this to be fixable via a Firmware update, however I can't guarantee this unfortunately.

We are reaching out to Samsung in order to get this issue resolved. Due to the huge number of TV models and manufacturers, issues such as this do sometimes arise - in any case we are looking in to getting it resolved and we are happy to assist any customers which are affected by this issue.

So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's. No firm promise of a fix, not very impressed with SONOS at this point as Samsung could be classed as a major supplier of global premium TV's and you would have thought that SONOS would have ensured their premium soundbar would work with the new Samsung Flagship range, but apparently not.

Suggest SONOS and Samsung get their act together and sort out the issue.

I have the 2020 Samsung Q850T, 65” 8K TV and Dolby Atmos is playing via eArc HDMI port. It also shows on the App S2.  Best of luck for a fix.

Userlevel 2

Hi Guys,

i’m looking to buy the Samsung Q95T but after reading all these comments, i’m not sure if the issues have been resolved. I will be using Sky Q, a 4k Bluray, Firestick, etc. Any ideas?

best

John

I have been having the same issue with Q95T and ARC connected to hdmi 3 e-arc. I just spoke with Samsung support and they asked me to under General> external device manage > input signal plus> enable the blue dot on all hdmi sources. 

this resolved the issue now the sound works fine with e-arc enabled and atmos compatibility enabled.

I hope this works for you all.

Forgot to mention:

Make sure you perform a reset of the hdmi sources after activating the input signal plus on all hdmi ports:

unplug all hdmi cables from one connect. Afterwards unplug power cable from the box for 30 seconds. First reconnect the hdmi cables then power cable. Hold power button on the remote for 10 seconds and the tv will start with checking all the sources.

I have been having the same issue with Q95T and ARC connected to hdmi 3 e-arc. I just spoke with Samsung support and they asked me to under General> external device manage > input signal plus> enable the blue dot on all hdmi sources. 

this resolved the issue now the sound works fine with e-arc enabled and atmos compatibility enabled.

Thanks for sharing this @Goofy87 
As it is the first comment I see in cyberspace that implies a solved issue I would really appreciated some more details.

• Did it’s stand time (Still no issues since fix)
  • What’s  your setup, external input like appleTV or only built-in apps?

There are great deals on the 75” Q95 right now but I can’t really justify it with an ongoing issue like this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Not quite know about TV but I think LG is quite okay. :)

Thanks for sharing this @Goofy87 
As it is the first comment I see in cyberspace that implies a solved issue I would really appreciated some more details.

• Did it’s stand time (Still no issues since fix)
  • What’s  your setup, external input like appleTV or only built-in apps?

There are great deals on the 75” Q95 right now but I can’t really justify it with an ongoing issue like this.

Hi CarlChrister,

There are still intermittent issues unfortunately  but the fix is fairly easily normal when it happens, toggeling on and off on the e-arc setup. Or worst case restarting the TV by unplugging power, no great for such an expensive setup but it's my life now.

But just a suggestion if you are looking to get a new Samsung why wouldn't you wait for a price drop on the Neo-led models as they have 4x e-arc connections and it's seems to have non of these e-arc issues on the Q95T, I would if I had the choice at the moment.

Badge

I have a new Samsung Neo QLED: QE65QN95A. I have tried just about anything and Sonos technical support has given up on it claiming that the Sonos Arc is working as designed and intended.
I get audio cutting from anything connected with HDMI (PCM audio works fine).
I have almost given up.. But here is my forum thread on the issue.

Hi, I just purchased the Samsung Neo QLED 4K 55QN95A with Sonos Arc. After reading all the compatibility issues between Samsung and Sonos I was surprised that I didn’t have the sound issue...at first. Now I seem to have intermittent drop outs in the sound. Power cycling the Arc doesn’t work. Only power cycling the Samsung TV. Furthermore, I see that the Samsung TV is continually swapping between the HDMI eARC (Sonos) and the TV sound output. It seems that the TV is trying to play through the Arc but no sound is playing so it swaps back to the TV speakers for a few seconds and then tries again. This issue has been going for a few years according to the forum posts and there is still no fix.

I got the HD Fury Arcana for my old Samsung KS8000 with the Sonos Arc and it plays what it should in Atmos and other sources. I’m just waiting on delivery of the Q95T so hoped I could remove the need for the Arcana. Guess not for now. Those that are suffering with lip sync issues or not getting Atmos could try the Arcana.