Arc/Atmos - TV support for passthrough from Apple 4k?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Its a strange one alright - if S2 allows for high definition audio, you would have thought LPCM would be a no brainer considering there are jo licencing costs to speak of.

It would be interesting to here the engineer's take on that - are there any remainig technical reasons beyone bandwidth that would explain why LPCM isn't on the table?

This does seem like a strange oversight. I had planned to use the following chain of devices: Apple TV 4K —> LG OLED TV (eARC) —> Sonos Arc. With the lack of support for LPCM, will that cause this setup not to work with Atmos?  Anyone know if the 2020 LG OLED TVs can downmix the Apple TV audio to something the Sonos Arc can accept, while keeping the Atmos track?

You will be fine if you have eARC.  The Apple TV will pass the Atmos to the Arc just fine, if using eARC.  Consider yourself lucky - for many people (myself included), our TV’s without eARC will not be able to send an ATMOS signal to the Arc because Apple TV does not use DD+ as a container, and thus what they do send is too large to send through the legacy HDMI arc connections.

Assuming the LG TV can pass through the LPCM audio through the eARC HDMI port, how would the Sonos Arc play the Atmos audio track if LPCM is not supported?

This is disappointing, I pre ordered mine as thought a secondary HDMI to connect the Apple TV was a given. Would an atmos receiver do the trick then ? Apple TV → avr ← ARC 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I find your logic odd. It’s Apple that is apparently restricting the Dolby Atmos signal to MAT, not Sonos. Assuming you can hand the appropriate signal to Sonos, it will play it. Sonos has zero control over what systems you TV supports. I’m not sure what Sonos can do, other than to petition Apple to change their stance, and we’ve seen how well that has progressed on the ‘on this device’ front. 

If, and I stress the if, this is a problem with Apple TV, it lies directly on Apple’s shoulders, and the TV sets we’ve purchased. Sonos has said they’ll play Atmos encoded in Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI ARC, and in TrueHD over eARC. How can this be laid at their feet?

I will reserve my judgement on Apple TV until I see how my Vizio passes the signal to Sonos...and if it still doesn’t work for me, I’ll reserve my complaints for Apple’s refusal to use anything other than MAT, and me for purchasing a TV that Doesn’t support eARC, probably in equal measure. But it’s not a Sonos issue, by any stretch. They’re just the receiver of the signal. 

Don’t blame Apple. The fact is that it is the receiving device’s job to interpret audio signals, if the receiving device cannot do so then it is just not up to date with common audio signal processing.

The stance you are taking is basically: Sonos says our receiving device does type X audio processing, so every manufacturer of tech equipment in the world must now support products the way we do, thanks. The correct way to handle it is: We understand that there are a large variety of audio signal processing methods, our receiver is prepared to support them.

And no I don’t care if you disagree. The fact is that Sonos and Bose are the only two audio product brands that take the approach of “my way or the highway because everyone else can go F themselves if they dont do things the way we do”

Userlevel 2

Won’t work. The Sonos hdmi is an output not an input and only supports ARC/eARC audio so it will ignore audio on regular hdmi channels.

This device does claim to have ARC audio out, but yes, hard to know until the Sonos Arc actually ships and we can test it out for real.

It’s just poor wording for extracting audio from an arc connection that has already been established between a device and an arc television. The specs claim the audio comes on a blanked out 720p video stream.

Hello everybody,

I’m also considering buying the Arc (and also a new TV when there is a nice offer or so). Since my room isn’t that big, my 5.1 Sonos Beam Setup is totally fine. Therefore, the only reason to upgrade is the Atmos support.

Since the Arc only have one HDMI port, the TV has to pass through the audio signal from the media player right (e.g. Apple TV)? As far as I know, there is no TV on the market right now, which is capable of passthrough an LPCM signal. For example, the Sony AG9 (which is Sonys OLED flagship right now) can only passthrough Dolby Atmos via Dolby TrueHD and eARC (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a9g-oled). So, therefore, it would make no sense if the Sonos Arc would support LPCM since there's no possibility to get an LPCM audio signal to the Arc. I’m not an expert so I might have a fallacy somewhere, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Regarding the Apple TV, I haven’t found a source that confirms that the Apple TV outputs LPCM audio formats. On the official Apple website, it only says “Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections.” In this discussion, however, thy guy says, that Apple is using the Dolby Metadata-Enhanced Audio Transmission (MAT) format. As far as I understand from this document (page 12), Dolby MAT is PCM audio containing Atmos Metadata and is unpacked from Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. The Xbox is also using Dolby MAT because it is an audio format which is already decoded when it enters the TV and therefore there’s nearly no lag. Again, I’m not an expert and might have somewhere understood something wrong.

But since Sonos Arc supports Dolby MAT, we should be able getting lossless Dolby Atmos using our Apple TV, shouldn't we? (Assuming the TV has an eARC port which is needed for Dolby TrueHD and Dolby MAT)

Badge

Good analysis. I’ve been looking too with no luck finding yet. If you find such a solution please post so we can all benefit.

I will indeed, the moment I find such a device. I fear it may not be before I get my Arc, however, as the time to market versus the new pent up demand is a bit short. It’s almost tempting to hire my own engineering firm and make one myself, and then sell it. But I suspect they can do it faster in Asia than I can here in the US, since it might be an extension of devices already designed and manufactured. 

Userlevel 1

Every user with an eARC TV and an Apple TV 4K should be fine. So no worries @shnuggleberry.

HDMI eARC is able to transmit the “special” format that Apple uses for Atmos. It was widely reported in the past (when the new Apple TV 4K was released) that the Apple TV 4K (only the 4K model is able to play Atmos!) plays Dolby Atmos in a “special” format (DOLBY MAT = “Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission”). It looks like the reason for that is, that they want to mix the System Sounds and Siri voice over into the sound mix. By doing that, they have to decode the DD+ w Atmos Singal and put it back together with the System Sounds as a “DOLBY MAT” signal witch is a LPCM signal with Atmos information packed in it. This DOLBY MAT signal cannot be transmitted over regular HMDI ARC but only over eARC.

When “reviewers” with older TVs are reporting, that they managed to get Atmos from Apple TV over a regular ARC (not eARC) connection out of their TV, the reason is probably their TV. Some TVs are apparently able to convert an DOLBY MAT w/Atmos signal into DD+ w/Atmos and send it via regular ARC to a soundbar. It looks like older LG TV (7,8 series) are able to do that with a regular ARC connection if they are updated to the latest firmware (support for that came later with a firmware update).

Userlevel 1

Every user with an eARC TV and an Apple TV 4K should be fine. So no worries @shnuggleberry.

HDMI eARC is able to transmit the “special” format that Apple uses for Atmos. It was widely reported in the past (when the new Apple TV 4K was released) that the Apple TV 4K (only the 4K model is able to play Atmos!) plays Dolby Atmos in a “special” format (DOLBY MAT = “Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission”). It looks like the reason for that is, that they want to mix the System Sounds and Siri voice over into the sound mix. By doing that, they have to decode the DD+ w Atmos Singal and put it back together with the System Sounds as a “DOLBY MAT” signal witch is a LPCM signal with Atmos information packed in it. This DOLBY MAT signal cannot be transmitted over regular HMDI ARC but only over eARC.

When “reviewers” with older TVs are reporting, that they managed to get Atmos from Apple TV over a regular ARC (not eARC) connection out of their TV, the reason is probably their TV. Some TVs are apparently able to convert an DOLBY MAT w/Atmos signal into DD+ w/Atmos and send it via regular ARC to a soundbar. It looks like older LG TV (7,8 series) are able to do that with a regular ARC connection if they are updated to the latest firmware (support for that came later with a firmware update).

Thanks for the support, @GenAckbar73. Again, I could very easily be wrong… but from what I’ve been reading, the ‘special format’ you mentioned will work just fine only when I’m streaming in Apple TV apps like Netflix, Apple TV+ etc., however… other 3rd party app are forceded to output audio as LPCM from Apple TV 4K, meaning it would be downsampled for Sonos Arc? Not because of eARC, but because of the codecs supported by Sonos Arc, if that makes sense?

Grrr, all so confusing! I use a beautiful app called Infuse to stream my Blu-Ray rips (incomparible, ease of use/presentaiton-wise to Plex and Plex-like apps, in my opinion), with Apple TV 4K and an LG C9 (I’m very, very lucky here, I know… so odd to be moaning) and soon a Sonos Arc - so with all such modern equipment it would be crazy if Atmos just didn’t work!

No, the Apple TV doesn’t send HDMI ARC, only HDMI. It’s the TV set that figures out what it can send as the Audio Return Channel (ARC). 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I assume you have eArc turned on.

And just for clarity, we are talking about an Apple TV 4k box and not the app on the TV.

The issue with Apple TV content outputting as Stereo appears to be due to the newest LG C9 firmware for LPCM. I’d advise not upgrading to 04.80.03 if your main media device is the Apple TV until Sonos patch in LPCM for the Arc.

Badge

Just went through the ringer of talking to everyone Sonos, Samsung and Apple. In typical fashion Sonos blamed Samsung and Apple. If your TV does not have eARC I don’t think there is a way currently to get Dolby Atmos out of your ARC. If Sonos ARC supported a passthrough we would be fine but unfortunately there is only one HDMI connection. Best audio output I can get is DD 5.1

Apple TV 4k-Samsung 7 series-Sonos ARC

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Seems a very mixed bag of results at the moment, hopefully the arc update isn’t far off, can only imagine those with a lesser interest in the forums etc purchasing an arc and thinking it’s faulty.

Like many I have a C9 which has updated to the the latest FW, I do get Atmos from ATV4K on supported movies, but, anything outside that and any app run from ATV that requires 5.1 does not output any dialogue, so it’s ATV for movies & C9 internal apps for anything else.

How are you getting atmos from the arc thru your tv to the arc I guess your lg has a different software that works better with arc to get the signal to the arc any insight would be gelpful

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Seems a very mixed bag of results at the moment, hopefully the arc update isn’t far off, can only imagine those with a lesser interest in the forums etc purchasing an arc and thinking it’s faulty.

Like many I have a C9 which has updated to the the latest FW, I do get Atmos from ATV4K on supported movies, but, anything outside that and any app run from ATV that requires 5.1 does not output any dialogue, so it’s ATV for movies & C9 internal apps for anything else.

How are you getting atmos from the arc thru your tv to the arc I guess your lg has a different software that works better with arc to get the signal to the arc any insight would be gelpful

Hi. What TV have you got? The LG C9 has earc and supports ATMOS pass through, so movies I’m playing off the Apple TV will pass ATMOS to the Sonos, but, due to the recent LG firmware update to support LPCM, it’s stuffed the delivery of any content like DD5.1 from the ATV to include vocals as the Sonos can’t process it. 

I’ve not made any changes just had to use ATV for only Atmos movies & TV apps for everything else (Netflix etc on the tv will also play Atmos if it’s included so it’s all a mixed bag really.

HDR

Model:75NANO90UNA which has EARC on one of the hdmi. I have the Sonos Arc connected to that and the ATV to one of the. other HDMI 2.1 inputs. Mine must have something in the lg that stops it sending the signal to the arc as if I try an Atmos movie from ATV there is not sound unless I go to the top menu for the movie with extras then. it plays the theme music but again once I start the movie and look at the Sonos app it states silence, at least they got that right it is silent lol. I know it works with the Netflix and amazon prime on my tv and when I look at the Sonos app on iPhone. it has Dolby Atmos as the input. 

Again I guess my tv has a different piece of software than yours that works.

Hi everyone.  I also bought the new LG 75NANO90UNA and Atmos does not work through Apple TV with Sonos Arc. I tried everything and then decided to check the forums..thought I had a bad TV.   Whew., I normally don’t use the apps that come with the tv but I read that Netflix app on LG TV supports ATMOS if you have the Ultra HD plan….I set it up and it works with the ARC.   So I am just going to disconnect the Apple TV 4K until Apple and Sonos fix this.   I have been an Apple and Sonos user for a long time and it is really getting old when they say it supports „this“ and it doesn’t.  Anyway I hope they correct soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone.  I also bought the new LG 75NANO90UNA and Atmos does not work through Apple TV with Sonos Arc. I tried everything and then decided to check the forums..thought I had a bad TV.   Whew., I normally don’t use the apps that come with the tv but I read that Netflix app on LG TV supports ATMOS if you have the Ultra HD plan….I set it up and it works with the ARC.   So I am just going to disconnect the Apple TV 4K until Apple and Sonos fix this.   I have been an Apple and Sonos user for a long time and it is really getting old when they say it supports „this“ and it doesn’t.  Anyway I hope they correct soon.

The amazon app on it also works but the appletv+ does not support atmos yet but lg said they will update it on a future update but I suspect that’s going to be more like November rather than tomorrow. It’s all very frustrating especially when we have x all spent a lot of money to get something that should have been available immediately on all set top box and apps either on lg tv or ATV

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does anyone know anything about how a Vizio 2018 P series TV (P55-F1) can play with Apple TV 4k and the Arc? I see lots of discussion about LG, but no one talking Vizio…

The Vizio supposedly supports Atmos via its built-in apps (Vudu, Netflix, etc), which I have not tested yet since I have never bothered with them before. But something is preventing compatibility with Apple TV 4k.

Despite best efforts, I cannot seem to get my new Arc to register as an Atmos compatible device with Apple TV... Apple TV does not show the “immersive audio” menu option at all. When playing what should be Atmos compatible 4K content from iTunes on Apple TV 4k, the Arc system settings shows the audio output it’s getting as Dolby Digital 5.1. Not sure if that’s DD+ or not.

As I understand it, ATV4k will only output LPCM, which Sonos can’t handle right now, so the Vizio TV must be recompressing the LPCM to Dolby? (Not sure if Vizio would passthrough LPCM anyway even if it was supported by Sonos?)

I see on this site https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018 that my TV should support “DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 PASSTHROUGH VIA HDMI ARC” but I’m not sure if that’s DD+ or just plain old DD.

How do I know if the TV will support LPCM passthru from the Apple TV to the Arc, once that feature gets enabled?

Overall, backreading this thread is pretty depressing, because I realize how complex getting all this stuff to work together is, and how few people will actually have a supported scenario for Atmos, which is the whole reason I bought this soundbar. Tempted to return it and go back to my Beam.

Vizio, based on my discussion with them, will not pass anything other than Dolby Digital from an HDMI input, although some TVs can generate Dolby Digital Plus from internal apps. 

I won’t be purchasing another Vizio TV. I am thinking strongly about the device mentioned here until I can afford to replace the TV I purchased 12 months ago. 

I’m glad that i found this thread as I thought I was the only one having this issue. I have a nano90 and the Apple TV 4K. I also have all brand new 2.1 HDMI cables and whenever anything with atmos tries to play i get no sound at all. If it doesnt have atmos then it plays fine. I currently have atmos just turned off on the Apple TV. Are we sure though that once the ARC supports LPCM then we will have atmos support? My tv also supports atmos on the internal speakers and I tried playing things from the Apple TV with atmos and again got no audio. Meanwhile i played a blu ray and got atmos on the internal speakers. Has any one else tried this?

Same experience here with Apple TV via LG TV. Atmos content results in no sound on Arc or on the internal TV speakers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I tried getting atmos on the lg internal speakers and its exactly the same as going to the ARC Zero sound for any Atmos movie. I do keep hearing that some of the LG tv’s (generally OLED) seem to play Atmos both on the tv and relaying to ARC ,so it might also be a passthru software problem on the LG along with Sonos not accepting LPCM and coupled with the fact that Apple sends out a MAT signal. All in all too frustrating, I know it will get fixed but how will we all have to wait with our brand new over 3K systems

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Apple says the Apple TV will not pass Atmos (even compressed to DD+) over HDMI Arc.  Apple requires eARC.  “Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections.”  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069

That’s a limitation Apple has imposed.

Yep, which is why so many of us are eagerly awaiting the HD Fury Arcana to ship. It’s going to be the only real way for most of us TV users to get Dolby Atmos short of buying a new TV.  

Hi.  Yes I get Atmos with Netflix on my OLED via Apple TV 4K and on my LG Nano I get it on the built in Netflix app.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’ve read some rumors about it being dependent on the TV set too, some TVs will pass the Apple TV’s data, some won’t. I’m anxious to see if my Vizio’s will. And keeping my eye open on potential HDMI switches that will generate an eARC signal, so I can get TrueHD signals to the Arc.

Take a peek at this….

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/