App says ARC playing Atmos but it doesn’t sound like it

• 27 December 2021
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Badge +2

This is very informative. This will give me some direction when playing a little bit with the ARC. Thank you again. 

Brian

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I also have a sub ones and ARC, Had mine for a bout a year now.. I don't really find much difference between 5.1 or ATMOS sound with the ARC. Never really have heard overhead effects from it and ive moved it all over the place, different heights and closer to me. I have a flat ceiling 7ft tall and im sitting 7ft from the ARC. I would like to see some upfiring rears to be released by Sonos, to see if that can boost the overhead effects etc.

Badge +2

So I actually did the clip via screen sharing on my iPhone and it worked. All channels are working through this test. Thanks for the link. 

Currently my tv is a 50” Samsung 4k UHD model #UN50RU7100F

My content is played through the Amazon 4k Firestick. Fire stick setting is best available sound. TV setting is Sound Output Receiver HDMI. 
Expert settings Digital Output Audio Format: Dolby Digital +, Dolby Atmos Compatibility selected

Again, my app does say Atmos when playing Atmos content.  

It must have to do with my room configuration  Couch is 9’ free speaker.  Unfortunately I can't bring couch closer as it would block the doorway to get into the smaller size room.  Ceiling is flat, 7’ high.  Arc is about 4 to 4 1/2’ from ceiling.  Is there a way to feel the high speakers land on my seat that's 9’ away other than turning the audio height all the way up?

Thank you again for the help.  Also are there more links like the one you sent me to test the Dolby Atmos?

It also could be that while the signal is encoded in Atmos, the actual use of all the channels is not there in the source.

I used to get “Dolby Digital” content that was only stereo. 

Userlevel 7

I also have a sub ones and ARC, Had mine for a bout a year now.. I don't really find much difference between 5.1 or ATMOS sound with the ARC. Never really have heard overhead effects from it and ive moved it all over the place, different heights and closer to me. I have a flat ceiling 7ft tall and im sitting 7ft from the ARC. I would like to see some upfiring rears to be released by Sonos, to see if that can boost the overhead effects etc.

It is surprising that you haven’t heard any height effects with your setup. What is the Height Audio Level set to on the Arc? What Dolby Atmos content have you tested? What TV, media devices, and apps are you using? I can recommend Atmos content where the height channels are very noticeable.

Userlevel 7

@Friske Unfortunately your couch is too far away. With your ceiling height, your ideal seating distance from the Arc is around 5-7 feet. There isn’t much more you can do other than move the Arc closer to the couch or move the couch closer to the Arc and adjust the height audio level higher. You could also experiment with tilting the Arc forward slightly to change the angle of the upward firing drivers.

Here are more Dolby Atmos trailers:

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/hd-video-streams/

https://www.heimkino-atmos.de/sonstiges/trailer-downloads-und-testtoene/

Badge +2

Thanks for the links!  If my ceiling is 7’ high do you know how this effects seating?  Closer/farther away Vs 8’ ceilings?  Lowering/raising the ARC from the floor?  Just curious options of positioning ARC higher/lower vs moving couch forward/speaker closer (which isn't really an option).  Thanks again!