App says ARC playing Atmos but it doesn’t sound like it

• 27 December 2021
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7

@Friske Unfortunately your couch is too far away. With your ceiling height, your ideal seating distance from the Arc is around 5-7 feet. There isn’t much more you can do other than move the Arc closer to the couch or move the couch closer to the Arc and adjust the height audio level higher. You could also experiment with tilting the Arc forward slightly to change the angle of the upward firing drivers.

Here are more Dolby Atmos trailers:

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/hd-video-streams/

https://www.heimkino-atmos.de/sonstiges/trailer-downloads-und-testtoene/

It also could be that while the signal is encoded in Atmos, the actual use of all the channels is not there in the source.

I used to get “Dolby Digital” content that was only stereo. 

Badge +2

So I actually did the clip via screen sharing on my iPhone and it worked. All channels are working through this test. Thanks for the link. 

Currently my tv is a 50” Samsung 4k UHD model #UN50RU7100F

My content is played through the Amazon 4k Firestick. Fire stick setting is best available sound. TV setting is Sound Output Receiver HDMI. 
Expert settings Digital Output Audio Format: Dolby Digital +, Dolby Atmos Compatibility selected

Again, my app does say Atmos when playing Atmos content.  

It must have to do with my room configuration  Couch is 9’ free speaker.  Unfortunately I can't bring couch closer as it would block the doorway to get into the smaller size room.  Ceiling is flat, 7’ high.  Arc is about 4 to 4 1/2’ from ceiling.  Is there a way to feel the high speakers land on my seat that's 9’ away other than turning the audio height all the way up?

Thank you again for the help.  Also are there more links like the one you sent me to test the Dolby Atmos?

Userlevel 7

Here is a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 test tones file. Put this MP4 file onto a USB flash drive and plug the drive into your TV to play the file.

http://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-test-tones_5_1_2.mp4

Userlevel 7

If the Sonos app is showing the Dolby Atmos logo, you should be getting Atmos audio. You can also go to Settings > System > About My System and see what it says after “Audio In:” under the Arc info. It should show “Dolby Atmos (DD+)”.

What specific model TV do you have? What are the audio settings currently set to?

The reason why I mentioned testing The Matrix is because you should be able to CLEARLY hear height effects above you during the first few minutes of the movie beginning with the Village Roadshow logo. Set the height audio level to +10, sit about 6 feet away from the Arc, and start The Matrix. If you can’t hear anything above you, you probably aren’t getting actual Dolby Atmos audio.

Badge +2

I've played various action scenes (Justice League, ext...). Maybe the couch is too far?  Unfortunately I have a small room and a door way so I can't move the couch any closer. I might move the Arc upstairs to a bigger room (smaller tv) and see how it does by itself and put the playbar back in its original spot. It's safe to assume though it the Sonos 2 app is saying Atmos then the arc is playing atmos?

Is there any other way people try and test their Sonos system other than movies?  Is there any kind of app that allows atmos to be tested through Sonos speakers?  

Userlevel 7

What specific Dolby Atmos content are you testing? Try to find a movie or show with discrete height channel effects. If you have HBO Max, try testing the lobby scene from The Matrix.

Also, with a standard 8 foot ceiling, the ideal seating position to hear the height channels the best is sitting 5-8 feet away from the Arc. If you are seated further away than 8 feet, you probably won’t be able to hear much height channel effects above you.

Set the height audio level on the Arc to at least +5 or +6.