AirPlay 2 with Sonos PlayBar 5.1 and two Sonos One's as surrounds

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

If it helps, when using voice control, you are sending a command to the cloud, which will then instruct the playbar to stream music as normal. The Sonos One will play the 'slave' role while you are streaming music.

As i understand it, with airplay, you are streaming directly from your phone to the device, with the device required to have a lot of memory available for buffering the audio. Playbar doesn't have that much memory. So if it were to theortically work, your sonos one, it would have to receive the stream from your phone, send the stream to the playbar for processing, and the receive a stream back from the playbar with only it's part of the audio. Sonos doesn't have the hardware to do all that.

Of course, if the Sonos One is not part of rhe playbar setup, then it doesn't need to receive a stream back from the playbar.
Userlevel 1
Yeah, I know there might be reasons for it. But if I start music using Alexa with the One, the whole combo takes it. Different use case of course because I’m not actually sending music to the One when it’s initiated that way, so I shouldn’t have assumed the AirPlay potential would work the same. Just annoying because I’ve now sunk more money in a system for functionality i won’t have. my dreams of finally ditching the dreaded Sonos app are in ruins!

And I did think after my initial post about changing the speakers attached to one of the surrounds, but it’s just redundant to introduce two more speakers that aren’t going to offer any advantages in terms of sound quality. a shortage of them around the house isn’t an issue! Cheers for the suggestion though.
I get the frustration, but you can't really blame Sonos for implementing their 5.1 system this way. It was designed and created years ago before airplay 2 was even a thought. Putting all the heavy lifting in the playbar was the right choice, since you couldn't have a 5.1 system without it, it would always have audio input, and it would save costs(and price) in the other speakers.

And of course, they can't redesign how it works now. Even if the involved speakers had the right hardware, it would not a lot of development work, testing, and intrduce bugs into funtions that have been error free for years.

Another option idea is to buy 2play:1sfor one ofyour 5.1 setups. That way you now can re purpuse the 2 Sonos Ones to other roomsin the house, separately or as a stereo pair. If separately, then you can have 2 airplay streams going at the same time.

You could also look into getting an apple TV to steeam through.
Userlevel 1
Ok, sorry to be this person whining on forums about things not being exactly how I want but...if I’m understanding this right, it seems like really terrible implementation. I entirely get why the playbar as older tech doesn’t support AirPlay2. But now having two sonos ones linked to it as surround sound also isn’t a solution? i bought them instead of the cheaper play 1s assuming it was good future proofing for exactly this purpose.

Is it really the case that, assuming I don’t upgrade two playbars for bases, my only fixes are either to buy a third One for both rooms with playbars to create a group, or to decouple the Ones from the playbars so that I no longer have the surround sound experience? The first seems like madness, and the second defeats the purpose for which I bought this combo of equipment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey ShermanThruGA,

We spoke about this in another thread here, but for anyone new to the conversation, the Playbar, Playbase, or Beam in a surround sound setup will determine Airplay2 compatibility. That speaker is the one that does all the heavy lifting and handles controlling what audio is sent where. If you had a Sonos One, you could send the Airplay 2 signal to it and group the Sonos One with your Playbar (not bonded as surround speakers), and they'd play the same thing.