2020 Samsung qled + AppleTV 4K + Arc = no sound

• 14 August 2021
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Ugh, I have this issue with my QN85A tv, Apple TV, and Arc. For me the issue happens when Hulu’s live channels switch from 2 to 5 channel sound. I have seen occasional issues with Disney plus but the problem with Hulu is while watching tv all fir commercials are 2 channel and tv is 5 channel, so every time it switches I run the risk of the audio stopping. It doesn’t do it every time.  I was thinking of getting the new version of the Apple TV 4K but doubt that will fix it. 

I think the problem is the cables. I think you need HDMI 2.1 (8k) cables to get Dolby atmos. Both between apple - tv and tv - arc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not think cables need to be changed for transporting sound. Images need high speed cables, sound (even in uncompressed form) do not. As I understand it the standard cable Sonos packs with the Arc is 1.4.

I have this exact same setup and exact same issue! It’s infuriating. I can eventually get sound working by start/stopping random movies on Netflix/Amazon/etc but it’s totally random. I have to spend 5 mins trying to get sound working before a movie. 

it never happens with YouTube, Sunday ticket, Disney+ or games. It always happens with Netflix and Amazon

Same for me, just upgraded my TV to a QN90A and paired it with a Beam. Getting really unreliable sound in all apps (ATV+, Netflix, Prime and Disney+) I initially thought it was just Atmos, but it also happens with DD5.1 tracks. One thing i’ve noticed is that if it not playing Atmos then DD5.1 will work and if DD5.1 is playing up then Atmos works. A type switching issue????

One consistent is that the sound on the autoplay Netflix promos never plays (which is a win of sorts 😀 )

For what it’s worth, another +1 to this issue. I have a 2021 Frame TV, ATV4k, and Arc. 

I’ve also noticed that when non-Atmos audio does work on Disney+ I usually get Stereo PCM sound, but streaming the same show through the TV itself comes in Dolby Digital surround. I prefer not to stream through the TV since Samsung sells so much viewing data.

This certainly is making it difficult to convince my family that this fancy audio setup was worth the money. 

Same issue for me. Brand new setup 3x amps, sub, latest gen ATV, 2022 Frame.

audio cuts out on Hulu whenever the commercials start. Have to flip out on ATV, flip back repeatedly and then starts working. Wife getting really mad pls help!

Same issue for me. Brand new setup 3x amps, sub, latest gen ATV, 2022 Frame.

audio cuts out on Hulu whenever the commercials start. Have to flip out on ATV, flip back repeatedly and then starts working. Wife getting really mad pls help!

Have you tried the suggestion of switching off HDMI-CEC on the Apple TV?

+1 2021 Frame TV, Sonos Arc and ATV4K

extremely frustrating when you think you are investing in top quality names/products and they don’t perform properly. 

I have more weird issue! my setup: Samsung QN90A 85Inch TV, Connected to Sonos Arc and Gen 3 Sub over eArc, I have Dreamlink T2 connected to TV, and Apple TV4K 2nd Gen connected to TV.

With Dreamlink, I see TV identifying Sonos as HDMI eArc Receiver and everything works just fine.

With Apple TV as an input, I see TV does not identify Sonos as HDMI eArc Receiver it shows “TV Speakers” in sound menu. TV’s Sound Setting and Expert settings are like, eArc is enable (set to Auto), Digital Audio output Format is “Auto” as “Passthrough” is disable, Dolby Atmos Compatibility option is disable.

Somehow once for Apple TV input, Samsung TV Identified HDMI eArc Receiver as Sound output that time I could select the Digital audio output format as “Passthrough” and Sonos was playing Atmos sound for that movie. As soon as I switched to other content there was no sound, I had to disable Samsung TV’s eArc setting to off and then Auto, since then Samsung TV did not identify eArc receiver as a sound output device, Apple TV plays stereo PCM to the SONOS.

Any help!!     

@LeeASD,

Perhaps try switching off Mutichannel LPCM audio on the Apple TV and use Dolby compressed audio instead and see if that will pass through the Samsung TV ports any better for you.

@ritu_o0o just checked and i’m also getting the TV Speakers / Receiver thing with my AppleTV. Really am starting to think it’s an Apple TV bug. 

The thing I notice with Apple TV is that the CEC implementation is very ‘sticky’ .. it’s controlling features often stay in place even after it’s switched off, until the device is fully rebooted, so I still wonder if it’s CEC control is attempting to steal focus away from connected Home Theatre products. I’ve personally left the tvOS CEC feature switched off now and things have been fine for me with it set that way.