Sonos Ace Headphones: May be more than you think!

Userlevel 7

Hello

Lots of chatter (if you can call it that) about the Sonos App. I need not go into detail as to what the general consensus is about it. However that’s not what this post is about. Moving on….

Let’s talk Sonos Ace Headphones. Many are disappointed because they cannot be used as a room in the Sonos ecosystem and therefore view them mainly as expensive me-to Bluetooth cans.

Below are links to three (3) first impression videos. Take a look. You may find reasons to try them on a trial basis (or not). Enjoy!

Peter Pee

https://youtu.be/PKBO6epPh5o?si=rZckVR194ayb7lRX

MacRumors

https://youtu.be/j00c5MF37Yc?si=xAkujnnDWBzAJEhd

The Verge

https://youtu.be/y8KNzP_Y9vY?si=L48cyGbr1Js1V-Je

26 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Nothing new there at all that we don’t already know from reading about them here. In fact, they didn’t really point out any of the many downsides.  I reckon for people with Arc bars who want to mute them and listen with headphones alone, yay - otherwise, nope.  They barely work with any Sonos products - that, along with a busted app.  It’s all betting on the come - “maybe one day soon”. 

High price for early adopters, half of whom will probably try them out and send them back after they satisfy their curiosity.  It’s a product with a few niche advantage cases otherwise swimming in a pond of big players.  A product made by a company willing to trash the systems they sold to people.  Nope!  Not even a trial - well that could be an interesting way to waste their time as penance, but I’d be wasting mine as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Here is Peter Pee’s latest video:

Overall he likes it but gives his downsides.  For example he says "they are not the most musical set of cans” because they stumble on music with  “complex tracks”.

I don’t own an arc and can’t ever see getting more committed to the Sonos ecosystem than I currently am, so these headphones are not for me.

Userlevel 7

@AlexPermit

Thanks for providing the latest Peter Pee review!!

Take always I gleamed from Peter’s review are:

• Best overall headset on the market today *
  • ANC is the best on market as well as PNC *
  • The Sound Cinema feature for Dolby Atmos is better than AirPod Max as it uses WiFi instead of AirPlay2 which offers practically no noticeable latency. *
  • Equipment-wise the Ace requires an Arc and the AirPod Max requires an AppleTV box.
  • USB-C to USB-C connection allows wired audio compatibility out of the box with an iPhone, Laptop, Tablet or DT Computer *
  • Bluetooth performance on par with other headsets **
  • Music performance-wise the Ace is tuned with not-in-your-head bass. The sound is more balanced.
  • Probably not the best headset for rock music with layered tracks. Then again rock is geared toward a select group. Sonos has never promoted their speakers as an essential product for rock. **
  • Peter did mention that if the Sonos Ace is not enough you might consider UNITY by HED for $2,200 that offer full WiFi. ***

* Reason to consider the Sonos Ace

** Reason not to consider the Sonos Ace

*** Reason not to consider the Sonos Ace; if you have deep pockets

I’ve often thought that Sonos was missing some easy revenue by limiting themselves to products for there wireless audio system only.  Sonos has built up a good reputation (though not recently and some may disagree on that) and would be able to sell audio products that aren’t in the system by reputation only.  Many of their competitors do this by selling non-smart products across several different market segments.  Sonos could have done the same by selling ‘dumb’ earplugs, bluetooth speakers, passive speakers,  amps/receivers, etc, that would take less development effort and low maintenance/support due to the ‘dumb’ nature of the products.

In a way Ace is somewhat of a ‘dumb’ product since it is primarily just BT with the ability to be part of the network in a niche way.  Indeed, it’s being reviewed against BT only products, not as a WiFi product.  So, in a way, I am not bothered by Sonos making a ‘dumb’ product as it’s something I thought they should be doing for years.  At the same time,  it feels like they went about it in the wrong way.  Why not make passive speakers (not Sonance produced)  that can be used with the Amp or any other speaker?  Why not make some sub $100 BT earplugs that don’t pretend to be part of the system?   It feels like they went for perhaps the hardest ‘dumb’ audio category first instead of easing into it.

If they had approached it from a different angle and consumers were used to dumb Sonos products, I don’t think it would have resulted in the same level of disappointment that these do pretty much the same thing as the other headphones in that price range.  It’s the expectations, and the current mess with the app, that’s causing most of the negative feedback.

Overall positive reviews that I’ve seen so far. Peter Pee is a very good reviewer of sonos products.

MKBHD, though, probably making Sonos execs sweaty. Not a negative review by any means, just not as positive as say PP, but MKBHD has 19million subs and most wouldn’t be hyped to buy after this IMO. I LOL’d when he casually threw shade on the new app, calling it “extremely neutered” or something like that

Userlevel 7

Oh…How quickly we forget 😂

MKBHD reviewed the AirPods Max and called them “luxury” listening headphones for $550! I’m an Apple fan and I have a pair of the AirPods Max headphones. So yeah I paid for the privilege to wear a set of cans made by Apple. Nuf’ said on that!

Getting back to MKBHD’s review of the Sonos Ace. IMO his review based upon what he said in 2019 about the AirPods Max places the Sonos Ace headphones a step above in the “luxury” listening category for these reasons:

• $450 vs $550
  • Best in class ANC and PNC
  • 40 hr battery vs 10-16 hrs
  • WiFi Transfer of Dolby Atmos if one owns a Sonos Arc *
  • My personal favorite they come with a case regardless of the zipper comment made by MKBHD **

I suggest viewing MKBHD’s review below and pay close attention at time mark 10 mins 38 secs and listen to what he says about the AirPods Max case.

* AirPods Max require AppleTV box

** Really…complaining about a zipper as opposed to what he said about the AirPods Max case

🤣 4 years ago is a long time.  he’s suggesting wait for Max2 or just buy Sony mk4 or 5 except in three narrow cases:

1. You love the Sonos brand.
  2. you want best transparency that’s not AirPod Max
  3. You own an arc and will listen to sound from it often.

This is the type of reviewer Sonos needed to convince, seems Ace don’t quite do it for him. I’m gonna take his advice and wait for Max2 to decide.  

Userlevel 7

@Bumper 

So what it boils down to for you speaking the technology approach IMO…

If the AirPods Max2 offer the same updated features as the Sonos Ace’s do now… then you’ll chose the  AirPods Max2 and connect via an AppleTV box to enjoy Dolby Atmos movies and spatial audio. I see nothing wrong with that approach. At that point it’s just a buying decision like any other.

What I would hope is that you or anyone else does not let the recent S2 App debacle influence your decision as I do believe everything will be resolved. If I’m wrong then there’s one on me and I’ll have to re-evaluate my future with Sonos at that time. However, IMO it’s too early to throw in the towel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Peter Pee is the only one I’ve seen saying it’s the best ANC (I obviously haven’t read all reviews).  I struggle to believe they are though - to think at their first attempt they’d best the likes of Bose, Sony, Apple and Sennheiser in this area would be incredible - almost unbelievable to be honest.

Soundguys say this: “However, if you’re looking for over-ear headphones with the best noise cancelling performance possible, or you just want more control over your sound, then I’d suggest looking at alternatives from Apple, Bose, Sony, or Sennheiser before setting your sights on the Sonos Ace.” for example.

Regarding the use of WiFi for reduced latency, I was also surprised to read that they started dropping out at round 14ft away from the Arc.

Being unable to access the App to adjust settings when connected by cable seems very strange too.

The Engadget review also suggests that when in TV Swap mode that if your phone rings, although it’s still connected simultaneously with Bluetooth and WiFi, that “you won’t get device swapping like you would with multipoint Bluetooth. This means if you get a call, you have to un-swap for Bluetooth to reconnect (it also means your phone won’t ring in the headphones if TV Audio Swap is active).”

Reviews and reviewers are subjective - while Peter Pee felt the bass was balanced and ‘not in your head’ (not sure if they’re @AjTrek1 ‘s words but don’t quite know what it means - excessive?), the other reviewer struggled to listen for a minute without adjusting the (still) limited EQ to -5 for bass.

People should listen for themselves and decide and maybe not latch onto positives from single reviews/reviewers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What I would hope is that you or anyone else does not let the recent S2 App debacle influence your decision as I do believe everything will be resolved.

Seriously?  I’d say there are many, many thousands doing precisely that.  This is about much more than the S2 debacle happening, it’s about the conscious decisions Sonos made in advance and have continued to make since.  They have done, and continue to, treated their customers disgracefully.  Don’t forget the webpage promoting the new release said how this would only make the App better but that nothing would be lost.  This was a lie and wrong.

It’s pretty much silence from Sonos now, mods no longer comment on any posts related to the new software.  And here, I don’t mean responding the ever increasing rants - I mean to the seemingly dozens and dozens of issues being repeatedly raised - not the relative few (but massive!) issues mentioned on the main page where Sonos have given all the updates and timelines we need (even if ‘we’re’ angry about them).

The removal of those set in stone, accepted Sonos features with zero mention until the inevitable s***show was, for many, unforgivable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Bumper

If the AirPods Max2 offer the same updated features as the Sonos Ace’s do now… then you’ll chose the  AirPods Max2 and connect via an AppleTV box to enjoy Dolby Atmos movies and spatial audio. I see nothing wrong with that approach. At that point it’s just a buying decision like any other.

What I would hope is that you or anyone else does not let the recent S2 App debacle influence your decision as I do believe everything will be resolved. If I’m wrong then there’s one on me and I’ll have to re-evaluate my future with Sonos at that time. However, IMO it’s too early to throw in the towel.

Absolutely influenced by the app debacle and its rekindling of my feelings after the S1/S2 debacle.  Fool me once, etc... I’m no longer a Sonos fan - likely no longer a customer, just an owner.  In fact, if I get the Max2s, Sonos should get the credit - wasn't thinking about them until now, but my Senn Momentum 2’s might be up for a refresh. :D   If, in the meantime, Apple disables a bunch of features on my phone and I have to use landlines and smoke signals for a couple of months, maybe I’ll see it as even playing field.  I’m keeping the towels until they wear out.  All sorts of other options now that weren’t there 20 years ago when Sonos was becoming the darling of home audio.

Userlevel 7

@sjw 

I agree wholeheartedly that people need to make their own decisions based upon their listening experience. I don’t understand why anyone would rely upon someone else’s ears as to what sounds best to them.

As far as reviews are concerned they serve the purpose to set you on the right track and narrow down the available choices which is usually 3 or 4.

Whelther you are going to purchase the Sonos Ace, another brand or nothing at all …let if be your decision and not mine or another a reviewers. 

@Bumper

I think they will resolve the app issue in time, but it is influencing my perspective for sure. Connecting the Airpods Max to my apple tv isn’t an important feature for me, I can do this now and never use it. It’s not really entering the equation for me. Ace just doesn’t seem compelling enough for me to buy them and being a Sonos product is a negative for me at the moment.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

FWIW another review, mostly favorable

Userlevel 7

FWIW another review, mostly favorable

@AlexPermit

Thanks for posting the review!!! Best one thus far IMO. Not because of the favorable comments but the testing involved for comparison to other cans and most importantly finally a reason given as to why Sonos decided not to make the Ace fully integrated into the Sonos ecosystem. At least this time around 🤔

Now if Sonos can just get the App to work as everyone prefers so the community can get back to helping each other to enjoy their systems. 😉🤞

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Now if Sonos can just get the App to work as everyone prefers so the community can get back to helping each other to enjoy their systems. 😉🤞

I would be satisfied if Sonos admitted their mistake and issued an apology. Although the app will likely be fixed at some point in the future, without Sonos acknowledging their error, I have no reason to believe they won't repeat it. To them, rendering a large number of users' devices unusable seems acceptable, which is their prerogative.  However, I strongly disagree, and that is my right.

I would be satisfied if Sonos admitted their mistake and issued an apology. Although the app will likely be fixed at some point in the future, without Sonos acknowledging their error, I have no reason to believe they won't repeat it. To them, rendering a large number of users' devices unusable seems acceptable, which is their prerogative. However, I strongly disagree, and that is my right.

And the headphones doesn’t even have all the advertised features at launch. They aren’t even ready. The app is a buggy mess. I’m not surprised many aren’t willing to give them more money 

I would be satisfied if Sonos admitted their mistake and issued an apology. Although the app will likely be fixed at some point in the future, without Sonos acknowledging their error, I have no reason to believe they won't repeat it. To them, rendering a large number of users' devices unusable seems acceptable, which is their prerogative.  However, I strongly disagree, and that is my right.

I honestly don’t think an apology would placate those that are upset about the app, nor would they see it as a sign that Sonos would never do something like this again. 

Obviously, this isn’t an ideal situation for Sonos either. Despite having motivations for the decision that we can’t fully know, they did not want to lose customers as they have done.  This was surely not the plan.  Can Sonos promise not to ever do this again?  They would probably like to, and will probably try and make some changes to prevent it from happening again.  However, they don’t have unlimited resources and capital like some of their competitors (who also make changes that upset their customers) and will need to take some risks if they want to stay in business.

I don’t blame Sonos for saying nothing in terms of an apology.  I do think it was foolish of them to speak positively of their apps changes at this time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Air pod max are bluetooth headphones. They will happily run from your smart TV. You do NOT need an Apple TV box to use them. You can use them anywhere.

Userlevel 7

Air pod max are bluetooth headphones. They will happily run from your smart TV. You do NOT need an Apple TV box to use them. You can use them anywhere.

You need ATV box if you want Dolby Atmos. That was the point. 😉

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am kind of tempted.  I have a pair of old Bose Quiet Comfort 35s (bought them over 5 years ago) and my daughter has the Airpods Max.  I find the latter too big and bulky and difficult to travel with - and in any case, my daughter doesn’t let me use it!  The Bose I have is easy to pack with the folding ear cups and I never travel on a plane without them.  I also use the Bose connected to my apple TV via bluetooth and it works well although inevitably you can get lip sync issues and I need to re-pair it every time i use another input on the TV (such as internal apps or other HDMI inputs).

The main attraction of the Sonos ACE for me is that I have a Sonos ARC so the audio swap feature is the main convenience together with Dolby Atmos etc. 80% of the time I use my Bose is when watching TV at night on my own when the kids are asleep.  

Before buying I want to get a better feel for the following:

1.  Comfort of the vegan leather on a plane.
  2.  Carrying case dimensions.  I would pack it in a back pack - it looks like the case is bigger but maybe thinner than the Bose carrying case.
  3.  Is it much of an audio upgrade on my Bose Quiet Comfort 35s?  That I would need to test out for myself.  
  4. I heard that the Audio swap feature can be buggy and the volume is low when streaming audio from the sound bar.  

Other thing I love about my Bose headphones is as soon as you turn it on, the Bose voice tells you what your battery percentage and what you are connected to so you don’t need to go into the app every time to find out.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m no longer a Sonos fan - likely no longer a customer, just an owner. 

^^^ This is exactly how I feel. I’m actually surprised folks purchased the new headphones after the app disaster, and now the forum is filling with quality control issues (static, charging) and failure to deliver advertised features (co-listening from TV with two pairs.)

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Review at the Headphone Show

He reports both measurements and subjective listening experience.  Most bothersome was a lower treble peak, which subjectively “obscures clairity for treble”. Most noticable on percussion but noticable with vocals as well.

Userlevel 7

He reports both measurements and subjective listening experience.  Most bothersome was a lower treble peak, which subjectively “obscures clairity for treble”. Most noticable on percussion but noticable with vocals as well.

I agree with some of what the reviewer said regarding the tonality of the Sonos Ace. In fact I voiced a  similar comment in my review posted here. Granted I don’t have the benefit of the sophisticated equipment to measure sine waves and the like. Below is part of my comment:

• That said those liking a lot of bass or enhanced mid-range need not consider the Sonos Ace as a music headset.

I do think the reviewer was somewhat bias in that he immediately dumped the Sonos Ace in the same category as all headphones with electronics (i.e. ANC etc) as ones that place features over sound quality. I have no problem with that as that’s his prerogative.

IMO the reviewer is more inclined to listen to music through passive headphones without electronics that are more in an audiophile’s arena. I have a set of Sony MDR Z7’s designed for Hi-Res audio coupled with Sony’s PHA-3 Headphone DAC. I’d never think to compare the Sonos Ace with my Sony’s for stereo music listening. By the same token I’d never compare my Sony headset to the Sonos Ace for Spatial Audio listening. In both scenarios it’s apples vs oranges. *

IMO the reviewer focused too heavily on what the Sonos Ace isn’t designed for instead of what it is designed for. In fact the reviewer’s banner clearly states his opinion of the Sonos Ace even before listening to his review as “Style over substance”.

* The Sony MDR Z7 and PHA-3 were released in 2014-2015 and retailed for $699 and $999 respectively. The Sonos Ace at $459 is bargain basement priced by comparison vs the MDR Z7’s alone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I agree with some of what the reviewer said regarding the tonality of the Sonos Ace. In fact I voiced a  similar comment in my review posted here. Granted I don’t have the benefit of the sophisticated equipment to measure sine waves and the like. Below is part of my comment:

• That said those liking a lot of bass or enhanced mid-range need not consider the Sonos Ace as a music headset.

I do think the reviewer was somewhat bias in that he immediately dumped the Sonos Ace in the same category as all headphones with electronics (i.e. ANC etc) as ones that place features over sound quality. I have no problem with that as that’s his prerogative.

IMO the reviewer is more inclined to listen to music through passive headphones without electronics that are more in an audiophile’s arena. I have a set of Sony MDR Z7’s designed for Hi-Res audio coupled with Sony’s PHA-3 Headphone DAC. I’d never think to compare the Sonos Ace with my Sony’s for stereo music listening. By the same token I’d never compare my Sony headset to the Sonos Ace for Spatial Audio listening. In both scenarios it’s apples vs oranges. *

IMO the reviewer focused too heavily on what the Sonos Ace isn’t designed for instead of what it is designed for. In fact the reviewer’s banner clearly states his opinion of the Sonos Ace even before listening to his review as “Style over substance”.

* The Sony MDR Z7 and PHA-3 were released in 2014-2015 and retailed for $699 and $999 respectively. The Sonos Ace at $459 is bargain basement priced by comparison vs the MDR Z7’s alone.

That’s not his general approach.  I think the title was a bit of a clickbait since Sonos is typically seen as a “lifestyle” brand.

Here is his review of three “high end” ANC headphones.

I own the 5909 and have listened to the Bathy’s and PX8.  His numbers agree with my subjective listening and I also agree with his subjective assesment.  I personally prefer the 5909. I also like the HIFIMAN Deva-Pro but it is a totally different sound experience (and the rare wireless headphone without ANC).  Of course, no wireless headphone is going to come close to my HD 800S or or other such phone I own.

He also has reviews for the WH-1000MX4 (which I own) and MX5 and is appropriately “harsh” on them as well.