Sonos Ace Headphones: First Impressions and Comparison to Apple AirPods Max

• 8 June 2024
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello

I wanted to get this out as quickly as possible. Please excuse typo’s. So no particular order pass the first topic/observation. I’m going to take a page from the Peter Pee’s review book and give you (IMO) the main highlight up front…

Main Highlight Sound Swap is WORKING!!!!

• You’ve really gott’a watch  a movie like Top Gun: Maverick to really appreciate the sensation of objects in time and space. The jets moving left, right, up, down, overhead and coming from behind is a phenomenal experience! 
  • Admittedly when the Swap is first made it takes a minute or two to redirect your focus to the cups; but after that you forget that you’re listening via the Sonos Ace headset.
  • I currently have it setup on two of my Arc’s and can select which one to use 
  • Sonos has promised to include the Beam (gen 1&2) and the Ray in future updates

Startup What to Expect

• When you first power-up the Sonos Ace and go into the Sonos App you’ll be prompted to update them. Updates take about 10 minutes.
  • There have been two (2) thus far. However, the second update I performed may very well incorporate the first so only one may be required going forward
  • The updates make the LED on the left ear cup flash white/orange the same as those on other Sonos components .

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio

• Both are equally good in this aspect. I have to give the advantage to the Sonos Ace due to the fact that any source material played through the Arc at this time will transfer to the Sonos Ace. That can be AppleTV, NetFlix or any source audio presented in Dolby Atmos. No need for another box or stick.
  • EDIT: If you’re wondering about low-end effects I suggest Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire. There’s a lot of chest beating in the opening moments that give a really good sensation of low-end EFX.

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Music

• Music is more balanced and not so much in your face/head as with the AirPods Max. I always thought AirPods Max could be a bit less over-the-top. 
  • The EQ on the Sonos Ace can be adjusted to approximate the AirPods Max but not quite to the same degree. That said those liking a lot of bass or enhanced mid-range need not consider the Sonos Ace as a music headset.
  • The Sonos Ace IMO is a more balanced package for all types of music with the possible exceptions of rock and heavy metal.

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Volume Control

• The AirPods Max IMO are more precise/fluid using the Digital Crown. The Sonos Ace Content Key with its up/down movement for volume isn’t as precise as you may go too far in one direction or the other. That said you can still obtain a comfortable listening level with the Sonos Ace. Advantage AirPods Max.

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Noise Cancellation Modes

• IMO the Sonos Ace vs AirPods  Max is a wash in my in-home testing.  The Bose Quiet Comfort IMO is still probably the best overall; but only by a very small margin. Noise cancallation IMO is subjective given ones sensitivity to sound.

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Bluetooth connection drop-off

• I don’t have any accurate measures that define the actual distance. Suffice it to say that in three (3) tests wherein I went outside to my backyard the AirPods Max lost connection at the furthest point wherein the Sonos Ace remained connected.  YMMV based upon any number of factors.

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Wear Comfort

• The Sonos Ace is much lighter than the AirPods Max. It’s a no-brainer as to which I’d choose if that were the only deciding factorAs an eye-glass wearer the Sonos Ace is a much more enjoyable/comfortable wear.

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Compatibility

• The Sonos Ace is compatible with iOS and Android with no feature/control loss. The AirPods Max are designed to work with Apple products seamlessly. However access to certain features are restricted or loss with Android.  Advantage Sonos Ace.

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Case

• The Sonos Ace comes with an actual case to protect them. A picture speaks volumes!

Sonos Ace: Left.  AirPods Max: Right

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Price

• Sonos Ace @ $449 vs AirPods Max @ $549

Comparison to Apple AirPods Max Battery Life between Charges_Approximations *

• Sonos Ace up to 30 hours of listening time, talk time, or movie playback when you have Active Noise Cancellation and spatial audio turned on
  • AirPods Max up to 20 hours of listening time, talk time, or movie playback when you have Active Noise Cancellation and spatial audio turned on

Conclusion: Final Thoughts

• I’m very pleased with my purchase. The Sonos Ace IMO is a quality product. Anyone looking for a replacement set or a new purchase of headphones should place the Sonos Ace on their short list. Consider them for what they are; and not for what they are not.

* See Sonos Ace page for more accuracy 

0 replies

Be the first to reply!