Skip to main content
Answered

Ace volume way too High

• 23 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello, I very recently purchased Sonos Ace headphones. However, i’ve found that the volume is constantly too loud when listening to music. Music that I used to sleep to now averages 65-70 db at the lowest I can get it, and using the headphones is unbearable at times. It is relevant that I use an Iphone and apple music.

I have tried:

• Turning my phone volume down to the lowest possible amount without it cutting out.

• Using the Sonos app’s inbuilt equalizer

• Trying to use Apple Music’s inbuilt equalizer. Which only has customization on mac.

• Using Other equalizer apps. Which don't work due to Apple music’s DRM protections.

I know that the volume isn’t high enough to be damaging. But I would really appreciate any ideas on how to further decrease the volume. I find myself wanting to return the headphones only a few days after getting them even though I like everything else about them. 
Thank you for reading!

edit: I also want to add that the high volume is an issue for most media on my device.

4 replies

I completely agree with this!  I find that I have to keep the volume set to the lowest possible on all my devices for the Sonos Ace to be at a comfortable listening level.  Also, I’ve had to resort to using in-app equalizers (like Spotify) to set the volume even lower.  Would be great if Sonos could update their headphones to further decrease the volume.

In fact, I’ve found other forum posts (in other discussion threads) that say the same thing.  So we’re not alone in noticing how loud the Sonos Ace is even at the lowest volume setting.

https://en.community.sonos.com/portable%2Dspeakers%2D229130/potential%2Dbug%2Dsonos%2Dace%2Dstarting%2Dvolume%2Da%2Dbit%2Dhigh%2D6896987

Badge

Thanks. Also, didn't mean to set your response as an answer, thought the checkmark was a like button or something.

I agree wholeheartedly, and created an account to ensure that enough voices are heard. The Ace have a markedly better sound profile that my APM; however the precision of the latter’s volume control, especially at the lowest volumes, is peerless. It is quite granular and decreases to the point of barely hearing sound. This allows me to read, write, reflect, or sleep without intrusion.

The lowest volume level on these is far too intrusive for the quiet enjoyment of one's music during said activities, which is a real shame and probably not a priority for Sonos. I wear ANC monitors to shut out not create distractions, so it pains me to say that I may end up returning these despite my deep appreciation of their sound profile.

This feedback relates specifically to my use of the Ace headphones with my iPhone and iPad. I would note that other OEMs (eg, Bose QC Ultra earphones and earbuds) have the same issue, but I expect better from a more expensive product.

I agree. The lowest setting is way too high. 

Also when using a phone, one, two or even three button presses to increase the volume, seems to hardly make a difference, when all of a sudden, with the next-click, there is a big bump in volume. 

The lowest setting needs to be way lower, also the volume difference between the clicks needs to be better. 

I also own a Sony headphone (XM4), en there this is perfectly executed. So I would expect, for this price point, that it would be better.