Unable to turn on/off TV through voice command (chromecast)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

The Sonos actually says it has problems with TWO TVs. I assume one is the Chromecast Ultra, the other one I don’t know. There is a ghost Chromecast among the Google Assistant units, but not in Google Home. And again, the Google Assistant is not complaining on other devices than Sonos.

just got to jump on and bump this.

exact same issue. I have a Chromecast connected to my tv which is also connected to my Sonos beam (via ARC). if I use any other assistant enabled device I can turn the tv off but when asking assistant on the beam it responds with 'something went wrong for xyz'. 

I've tried removing and re-adding these devices to Google home, using custom names etc. but it seems like it's a Sonos assistant issue not being able to successfully send this one command to the chromecast.

can also verify that other commands such as adjusting the volume, work. 

it also might be that it's trying to intercept and run the turn off/on command with the tv control that comes with the beam? not really sure

Bump - same issue ☹️

Until now I hadn't added a voice assistant to Sonos. I added Google Assistant yesterday so I could remove a nearby Google Nest, and my most-used feature - turning the TV on or off - stopped working. It's so strange! Other than that the Google integration seems to be great. This is frustrating and disappointing! Hope it does get fixed although the age of this conversation suggests not... 🫤 I don't want to go back to using the Nest as it often can't hear over the beautiful sound of the Sonos 😅

🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️

EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE!!

At exactly the same time! 

Unable to resolve, is there a way to get advice from Sonos on this?!

I have the same issue. Everything works until I say “turn off [tv name]” then google assistant says an unknown error occurs. 

Exactly same error and issue.. suddently stopped working around the same time of your post.

It tells an unknown error and even names my chromecast, even if I just say “Turn on the tv”.

Very weird. Using danish as language. Never had an issue, and all other commands work fine.

Exactly same error and issue.. suddently stopped working around the same time of your post.

It tells an unknown error and even names my chromecast, even if I just say “Turn on the tv”.

Very weird. Using danish as language. Never had an issue, and all other commands work fine.

@TNE26 & @periodic_purge,

What does your Home Screen show in the Google Home App? - can you perhaps post a screenshot of the two entries for the Sonos HT product and if not done already, reauthorise the Sonos Action/Skill too.

Try removing Google voice assistant from your Sonos app--then use your phone or other smart speaker. This magically fixed my tv on/off via Sonos Arc function. I don't get to use my Arc microphone anymore for GA, but it wasn't as good at interpreting commands as y phone and Google smart speakers anyway.

Exact same issue. We could still turn off by saying “Turn off chromecast” or “Turn on chromecast” but saying “Living room TV” it would throw an error. After factory resetting the chromecast to try and fix the issue, it is now completely broken and saying “Turn off chromecast” also doesn’t work anymore.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Exact same issue here;

I have a ‘old’ stupid TV with a Chromecast connected to it.  For the past years I was able to say: ‘Hey Google, turn on the Kitchen Television’, but now since a few weeks that doesn’t work anymore.

Saying: ‘Hey google, Pause kitchen television’ still works! (When it plays Netflix or anything)

When I open the Google Assistant App on my iPhone and say ‘Hey google, turn on Kitchen Television’ it works!!

I also tested with a Chromecast TV and Chromecast Ultra, works!!  So only the old Chromecast is not working with Sonos!

I am on Sonos v14.18   Anyone able to test with an older version?

Same issue here. Can't use the Chromecast to turn the TV on or off through a voice command issued to the Google Assistant on Sonos One anymore. Used to work fine, but stopped all of a sudden.