Unable to turn on/off TV through voice command (chromecast)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Exactly same error and issue.. suddently stopped working around the same time of your post.

It tells an unknown error and even names my chromecast, even if I just say “Turn on the tv”.

Very weird. Using danish as language. Never had an issue, and all other commands work fine.

just got to jump on and bump this.

exact same issue. I have a Chromecast connected to my tv which is also connected to my Sonos beam (via ARC). if I use any other assistant enabled device I can turn the tv off but when asking assistant on the beam it responds with 'something went wrong for xyz'. 

I've tried removing and re-adding these devices to Google home, using custom names etc. but it seems like it's a Sonos assistant issue not being able to successfully send this one command to the chromecast.

can also verify that other commands such as adjusting the volume, work. 

it also might be that it's trying to intercept and run the turn off/on command with the tv control that comes with the beam? not really sure

Userlevel 1

Ah, got it. My TV has no built-in functionality for this, and I have no other smart gadgets that can control my TV. Only the Chromecast via Google Assistant :)

Ah I see, I thought it was a Sonos-skill/action related question and you were perhaps trying to use the Sonos TV control (action/skill) that comes with a Sonos HT product connected to the TV. Sorry that’s my mistake. I will crawl back into my hole. It might be worth giving the router/network a reboot to see if that fixes it perhaps?

I already tried that, but again - I can use voice commands to control volume on the Chromecast. And I can use the Google assistant app on my phone to turn the TV on/off, so I do not think it is related to connectivity :)

Ah, got it. My TV has no built-in functionality for this, and I have no other smart gadgets that can control my TV. Only the Chromecast via Google Assistant :)

Ah I see, I thought it was a Sonos-skill/action related question and you were perhaps trying to use the Sonos TV control (action/skill) that comes with a Sonos HT product connected to the TV. Sorry that’s my mistake. I will crawl back into my hole. It might be worth giving the router/network a reboot to see if that fixes it perhaps?

Userlevel 1

Hey Ken

Thanks for your reply, I am not sure I understand what you mean. My chromecast is not known in my Sonos app/environment. I tried renaming the Chromecast device in the Google Home app, here I tried renaming it to something unique.

And if I do “Hey Google, turn the volume up on BST’s TV”, than that command works. This is what puzzles me greatly, some commands work, but turn on/off does not.

Sometimes more than one device can control the on/off functions of a TV and be linked to the voice assistant.

As an example my LG TV has the Google assistant built-in and the TV skill/action itself can turn on/off the TV (mic is built into the TV remote), I can also control the TV with the Sonos action/skill (in works with Google) and also with the Harmony action/skill linked to the Harmony Hub that I use to change TV channels - so in each case, I have called the TV by different names for each of the devices - my Sonos nickname is ‘Living Room TV’, whereas my Harmony Hub knows it as just ‘TV’ and my LG TV calls it the ‘Lounge TV’ - so depending on the name I include in the voice instruction will relate to which action/skill actually switches the TV ‘on’ or ‘off’ etc... and most such actions/skills default their own connected television names to ‘TV’ - So that’s why my suggestion is to look at which devices might be controlling your TV (i.e. Chromecast & Sonos etc.) and change their nickname to something ‘unique’ and include that in the voice instruction and see if it solves your issue.

Hey Ken

Thanks for your reply, I am not sure I understand what you mean. My chromecast is not known in my Sonos app/environment. I tried renaming the Chromecast device in the Google Home app, here I tried renaming it to something unique.

And if I do “Hey Google, turn the volume up on BST’s TV”, than that command works. This is what puzzles me greatly, some commands work, but turn on/off does not.

Sometimes more than one device can control the on/off functions of a TV and be linked to the voice assistant.

As an example my LG TV has the Google assistant built-in and the TV skill/action itself can turn on/off the TV (mic is built into the TV remote), I can also control the TV with the Sonos action/skill (in works with Google) and also with the Harmony action/skill linked to the Harmony Hub that I use to change TV channels - so in each case, I have called the TV by different names for each of the devices - my Sonos nickname is ‘Living Room TV’, whereas my Harmony Hub knows it as just ‘TV’ and my LG TV calls it the ‘Lounge TV’ - so depending on the name I include in the voice instruction will relate to which action/skill actually switches the TV ‘on’ or ‘off’ etc... and most such actions/skills default their own connected television names to ‘TV’ - So that’s why my suggestion is to look at which devices might be controlling your TV (i.e. Chromecast & Sonos etc.) and change their nickname to something ‘unique’ and include that in the voice instruction and see if it solves your issue.

Userlevel 1

Hey Ken

I have exactly the same issue. Google assistance can turn on/off my TV but when asking Sonos to do it, I receive an unknown error. However, I can still stream audio and video via Sonos. It is only the turn on/off function, which is not working.

It have been working for years up to now. I did not change anything, the problem just suddenly appeared. I have the feeling it was shortly after updating my Sonos.

So did you rename the "Sonos (Room Name) TV" device, or did you assign it a nickname instead?.. I would perhaps try assigning it a unique nickname instead of renaming the device …and see if that works for you, but remember to include the nickname in the voice instruction and ensure no other device/room in the Google Home has the same name.

Just as an example, if you assign the control a nickname of "BST’s TV” then it’s ‘Hey Google turn on BST’s TV"

Userlevel 1

Yes it is, and it works if if issue the command from the Google Assistant app on my phone.

Is CEC enabled on your TV and Chromecast?