Multiple Accounts and Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Since the Sonos account is a purely administrative thing that you only need to configure the system and add speakers, I don't really see why there is a need to have multiple accounts for different people in the same household. Think of it as an "administrator account".
Adding our separate streaming services accounts and binding them to the Sonos controller our personal devices has worked fine in my home.

Regarding voice match, I don't see why the hardware couldn't support it. It is likely to do with the software implementation of Google Assistant. Maybe Google is even restricting it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
You can only use One Sonos account on your devices, but you can have multiple Spotify accounts linked to Sonos. If you plan on buying new speakers your daughter could only use Airplay or the Spotify app to play to the Sonos speakers in your home. Without the Sonos app she would only be able to use her Spotify account, with all the restrictions you put on that.

This is good info, unfortunately Airplay is a mute point for me. I have never been in Apples eco system. My daughter who is 10 and just at the age that I'm considering giving her a cell phone, so she doesn't use the app. She uses voice commands which is perfectly fine with her Google home mini since it recognizes her voice and streams from the appropriate account.
She does however have an old child's tablet. Maybe I can load the apps on that.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Assistant has been a disaster from the start. I'm still not sure why it took them so long to produce something so bad. Don't expect an any any time soon.

I bought a Sonos One to replace a Google Home Mini because I wanted better sound quality. So far i love it with this one exception. If it supported multiple Google Assistant users, it would be perfect! As it is, we’re considering returning the device.

I was in the exact same situation as you, just wanting a Google Speaker with better sound.

Have done a lot of research and for now I have narrowed my options to two possibilities. My first option was a Google Home Max. The Max is much larger, and wont be suitable in some of my smaller rooms I would like to place smart speakers.

My other option is the LG WK7. Unlike the Sonos which requires the rather clunky Sonos App, it natively runs Google Assistant. You set up the WK7 the exact same way as you would a regular Google speaker using the Google Home app. It has native Chromecast support, and Google has now included stereo pairing support for its speakers so it has pretty much all the functionality and more of the Sonos One. Its form factor is similar to the Sonos One and apparently the sound quality is pretty good. LG got Meridian Audio to design the speakers for the device so its a quality setup.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hmm. At my house we haven’t decided which assistant to go with (we use both). The one nice thing about Alexa is that you can, in the Alexa app, indicate which speakers (plural, and can be anywhere in the house) are the default speakers for a room. 

Google can’t do that (Sonos not allowed as default speaker, and you have to say which room, which means no multiple speaker unless stereo pair, etc) BUT Google (at least when using their own speakers) will voice match which spotify account, which we use (since we are on a family account) but I haven’t been able to do that on Alexa (you have to manually switch accounts, at least last time I checked).

For the Google side I would need them to solve the multi-voice profile and the ability to set multiple default speakers for a room to make the Google side win out. 

I’m curious if this purely a Sonos issue, probably more complicated than that. Wouldn’t be surprised if this requires Google to make updates too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

No excuses for Sonos, but these things always end up being more complicated and definitely depend on the APIs provided by Google and Amazon. Like I said, for me on the Google side more than one thing needs to be updated.  Generally Google and Amazon are getting remarkably close in the key areas for me but neither are 100% there (Amazon is slightly closer) . Regardless, I’d love for Sonos to be 100% equivalent to the native devices because I’d love to replace almost all of my Echos and Home Minis with Ones. Hope the platform holders and Sonos can work it out.

Badge

The API’s works good for other non-google speaker, (jbl i.e.) sonos doesn’t :)

I bought sonos one to have a better sound device than google/alexa and I ended up with a non-assistant device in both scenario. As Google assistant device it doesn’t recognize users, as alexa speaker in Italy we don’t have household and sonos recognize correctly the voices, but can’t use a different spotify account (and this is amazon fault)

Dear Sonos

My kids each got a Sonos One for Christmas as they wanted voice controlled speakers.

The two speakers were added to our existing Sonos Setup with Spotify as music service. We have always been listening to different streams using the different Sonos speakers, and at the same time.

Is it not possible to add two different Google assistant for the two new speakers so we had to go with one shared GA.

The issue is:

When any of the kids ask their Sonos One for a song then music is terminated on all other speakers. This means that the Sonos now has lost multi-room capability! We assume the reason is that Sonos/GA makes Spotify percieve we are using more than one device.

We have now bought several Spotify accounts. It really doesnt help as sonos/GA cannot dedicate a specific spotify stream to a specific Sonos One. 

We need a software fix from Sonos so GA and Spotify see the Sonos System as one device allowing multiple streams at the same time. Multiple GA accounts is also needed for personalization.

For the time being we have created to two separate Lan systems for each of the Sonos One’s.

It is VERY unstable. Sometimes Sonos pause or stop for music for some reason.

Please, help.

Its ridiculous that you need to have the google home mini in the setup for this to work correctly. I bought 2 sonso One’s so I wouldn’t need that device any more. So yes, the only work around for now,it seems, is that you turn off Google assistant on the speakers, whose ONLY benefit over the SL is Google assistant, and use a third party device to control them.. 

REALLY bad customer service on the part of sonos for not even acknowledging these threads and complaints. I guess this is one of the reasons people still feel Bose is the way to go. 

Customer service is as important as sound quality!  

Have they brought any updates to Google Assistant integration at all? To me it looks like its stayed exactly the same as at launch, I’m also very disappointed about Assistant not supporting multiple users.

I have one Sonos Account with multiple systems connected to it (different locations). It all works fine and I am pretty satisfied with Sonos.

My issue resembles the ones on top, but i slightly different.

I also have different “Homes” in my Google Home Account (one for each location). When I connect the Sonos account to Google Home, I have to select which Sonos System I want to use. When I do so in Location X and I select System X for Home X, everything works as expected. But then when later I am at Location Y, when I add System Y for Home Y, then the devices in Home X have also changed to the in from System Y. So, I am no longer able to use the Google Assistant to control the devices at Location X …

Got it? :) .. I know it’s a bit difficult to explain. But in short: customers who have multiple locations (home, office, vacation house, ….) are in trouble ..

Any update on this????  

My wife wants to play Spotify and direct the output to our Sonos speakers her Google Assistant. We have one Sonos account (under my email), we each have our own Spotify accounts under family premium, and we each have our own  Google Assistant (under each gmail account). Using Google Assistant I can play Spotify and direct the output to all of the speakers in the house, including Sonos and Google speakers. My wife cannot direct her Google Assistant to play Spotify on one of the Sonos speakers it comes back and says her Google assistant and Sonos needs to be the same account. THIS IS A JOKE!! Is there any work around on this ? I appreciate your reply. 

bump

really need to fix. sonos competitors like Bose have full voice match on their speakers. 

What a Joke!!  Wish I could return all of the very expensive sonos gear i own. 

Bump. This needs to be fixed ASAP! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Voice Match for Google Assistant on Sonos has been available for about 3 months now.

There‘s an official announcement you can find here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/google-assistant-voice-match-available-on-sonos-6842485

Voice Match is not supported for Google accounts managed by Family Link, which is quite unfortunate. Many other third party Google Assistant speakers support this feature amongst many others while Sonos don’t.

Voice Match for Google Assistant on Sonos has been available for about 3 months now.

There‘s an official announcement you can find here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/google-assistant-voice-match-available-on-sonos-6842485

Voice Match is not supported for Google accounts managed by Family Link, which is quite unfortunate. Many other third party Google Assistant speakers support this feature amongst many others while Sonos don’t.

It still doesn't accept multiple voice profiles. One of the sonos support team confirmed that through online chat today.

Actually doing the steps here I think has fixed it https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/voice-match-in-ga-6827617/index2.html

SOLVED

I’m putting my experience in here because nothing I’ve found it quite accurate of the process as of Jan 2021. Finally worked it out. Hope this helps as it took my weeks to get this right.

1. Make sure you have Assistant and Home installed on each users device
  2. Make sure Assistant responds to specific voices - now available in the assistant app settings
  3. Make sure both google users are on the Family Home network.
  4. Add second users spotify premium account to their assistant app account
  5. I actually logged out of all spotify accounts then re-added them one at a time as it seemed to fail several times if one of mine was logged in
  6. It should work by each users voice command on each speaker now

Please contact me if this doesn't work as there were several odd moments that didn't make much sense as to why they worked or didn't each time I did this. Good luck - hope this works for you. Working from home in Covid days this needed sorting as my wife is in one room and i am in another and had to listen to one account before. All the best.

James