Multiple Accounts and Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I also bought a Sonos One to replace a Google Home Mini because I wanted better sound quality. So far i love it with this one exception. If it supported multiple Google Assistant users, it would be perfect! As it is, we’re considering returning the device.

I bought a Sonos One to replace a Google Home Mini because I wanted better sound quality. So far i love it with this one exception. If it supported multiple Google Assistant users, it would be perfect! As it is, we’re considering returning the device.

I was in the exact same situation as you, just wanting a Google Speaker with better sound.

Have done a lot of research and for now I have narrowed my options to two possibilities. My first option was a Google Home Max. The Max is much larger, and wont be suitable in some of my smaller rooms I would like to place smart speakers.

My other option is the LG WK7. Unlike the Sonos which requires the rather clunky Sonos App, it natively runs Google Assistant. You set up the WK7 the exact same way as you would a regular Google speaker using the Google Home app. It has native Chromecast support, and Google has now included stereo pairing support for its speakers so it has pretty much all the functionality and more of the Sonos One. Its form factor is similar to the Sonos One and apparently the sound quality is pretty good. LG got Meridian Audio to design the speakers for the device so its a quality setup.

I bought a Sonos One to replace a Google Home Mini because I wanted better sound quality. So far i love it with this one exception. If it supported multiple Google Assistant users, it would be perfect! As it is, we’re considering returning the device.

Really frustrating that this issue still has not been resolved. I cannot recommend this speaker for anyone who wants a Sonos One specifically for the Google Assistant features. We have 3 Sonos Ones and at this stage I am probably going to get rid of them and purchase something else that does work with multiple Google Accounts.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos Product Team - any update?  Can you please share the roadmap of enhancements and fixes?  We would appreciate transparency given we are dedicated loyal customers.  Please do not give us a reason to leave the Sonos product line.  Thank you. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I know exactly what you mean @silverfishy 

Question, Are you using your GA Mini to launch music on your Sonos speakers? 
If you are doing this, does it allow to use your individual music accounts?

I've bought 2 Ones last week. I'm very impressed with the sound quality. I've also bought the One for Google Assistant functionality. We used a Google Home mini before, which worked great. 

The use of Google Assistant is basic functionality in my opinion. Unfortunately this does not work very well on the Sonos in my experience.

We are a family of 3 and we all want to use the Google assistant with our own account. The One does not even respond to the voice of my wife properly. There is a major difference (at least in the Dutch language) between the Google Home mini and the Sonos One for Google Assistant. Come on Sonos make sure the Google Assistant functionality works great like it should. It took more than a year to implement the Google Assistant functionality for the Sonos One. Please fix these issues. 

I wanted to move the Google Home mini to our bedroom, but now I've removed the Google Assistant functionality from the Sonos and reinstalled the Google Home mini again... 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Assistant has been a disaster from the start. I'm still not sure why it took them so long to produce something so bad. Don't expect an any any time soon.

As OP, I find that the whole experience of Sonos + Google home + Spotify is indeed a very very confusing experience of different interlinked accounts and the feeling that you are not in control anymore. It dawned on us when I was at home and accidently disconnected my wife's Spotify streaming whilst in her car, that this will be a huge disaster because she have gym classes and she plays Spotify lists in the hall. That's a big no no. I'm not giving up on it just yet, just need to figure out how to streamline this in a family of four.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
We are unable to invoke personal GA routines using voice match across multiple house members via the Sonos One. Isn't this obvious? When will Sonos support this mission critical feature?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Since the Sonos account is a purely administrative thing that you only need to configure the system and add speakers, I don't really see why there is a need to have multiple accounts for different people in the same household. Think of it as an "administrator account".
Adding our separate streaming services accounts and binding them to the Sonos controller our personal devices has worked fine in my home.

Regarding voice match, I don't see why the hardware couldn't support it. It is likely to do with the software implementation of Google Assistant. Maybe Google is even restricting it.

This is a good point on the Sonos App. I'll get my peeps setup in the app. Could be a good bandaid for the time being. They are heavily depended on voice control though.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Again, when will Sonos support this key feature?
There is indeed more to the google assistant than streaming although it is a key feature. Being able to have multiple google assistant accounts on the same device is essential. Each family member should be able to ask about their day’s schedule, and each add items to their shopping list. As for streaming I fully support Ravica3: when your main UI is voice, not the Sonos app, the assistant has to be able to differentiate between users, albeit they all live under the same roof.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
You can only use One Sonos account on your devices, but you can have multiple Spotify accounts linked to Sonos. If you plan on buying new speakers your daughter could only use Airplay or the Spotify app to play to the Sonos speakers in your home. Without the Sonos app she would only be able to use her Spotify account, with all the restrictions you put on that.

This is good info, unfortunately Airplay is a mute point for me. I have never been in Apples eco system. My daughter who is 10 and just at the age that I'm considering giving her a cell phone, so she doesn't use the app. She uses voice commands which is perfectly fine with her Google home mini since it recognizes her voice and streams from the appropriate account.
She does however have an old child's tablet. Maybe I can load the apps on that.
Since the Sonos account is a purely administrative thing that you only need to configure the system and add speakers, I don't really see why there is a need to have multiple accounts for different people in the same household. Think of it as an "administrator account".
Adding our separate streaming services accounts and binding them to the Sonos controller our personal devices has worked fine in my home.

Regarding voice match, I don't see why the hardware couldn't support it. It is likely to do with the software implementation of Google Assistant. Maybe Google is even restricting it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You can only use One Sonos account on your devices, but you can have multiple Spotify accounts linked to Sonos. If you plan on buying new speakers your daughter could only use Airplay or the Spotify app to play to the Sonos speakers in your home. Without the Sonos app she would only be able to use her Spotify account, with all the restrictions you put on that.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Any update on this?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I came to the forum today for this very specific issue. Now that I'm panning to put Sonos spearker in more rooms of house this is an issue.
My daughter's spotify account does not allow explicit music but if she is stuck using my account cause Sonos cannot recognize who's voice.... well, that's a huge issue.
Is voice recognition part of Google assistant? So what's the deal.
For non-voice speakers, my google mini's get the job done.... properly but this was not my desired setup.
Hello Sergio, I just purchased a Sonos one on the promise of upgrading the sound of my average google home. The inability of Sonos one to manage multiple account on google assistant is indeed a deal breaker. We use the home as a jukebox. Every family member using his/her account. I will revert to Google home and inferior sound as long as this feature is not implemented. A dissatisfied customer shares its frustration with 7 people. A satisfied one only spread the word to one or two. I am VERY disappointed.