Answered

HDMI ARC, Beam, and Google Assistant

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies
I'm pretty sure I have the Beam connected to the HDMI ARC port and I am still unable to turn the TV on or off using voice commands.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 31 May 2019, 02:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Some TVs aren't programmed to recognize the on/off command. Or, like Samsung, will only accept the CEC off command from the current HDMI input.
Totally get that, but it was working when I was using Alexa.
I have the same problem with my Beam. Turning the TV on/off worked great with Alexa but once I switched over to Google Assistant it won't work. Any suggestions?
nmwhit06,

Go into your Google Home App (main Home Page) and find the Sonos entry for the TV... it will be called something like “Sonos TV Control for Dining Room”, or similar, where 'Dining Room' is the Sonos Room Name for the Beam. It will have a TV icon to help you identify it.

You can either rename it to “TV” or give it the nickname of “TV” ... then try controlling the TV with “Hey Google Turn on my TV” etc.

Before renaming the device, please ensure you have no other devices called TV, otherwise you will be best giving it another name like “Sony TV” or “Samsung TV” etc. just as examples.

Hope that fixes your TV control.
Wow, that worked perfectly! Thanks Ken_Griffiths!

I went into the Google Home app, then to Account on the bottom right, then to Settings, then to Assistant, then to Home Control. Then I scrolled down and found Sonos Home Control TV Living Room and clicked on it and changed the nickname to TV. Now whenever I say "OK Google, turn the TV on (or off)" it works!

This really should be explained better in the setup. This is in no way easy to find, even for me who is familiar with this stuff. Glad it's working now!
I second that nmwhit06, thanks Ken_Griffiths! It worked perfectly.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I can't think of any reason why it needs to default to be called a Sonos controller. You have to rename it to include "TV" in it's name, because otherwise the Google Assistant doesn't seem to be have been provided with information to understand that it's attached to your television. The configuration in the Android Google Home app is extremely limited versus other devices, there is no option to apply a Nickname, so you do have to alter the assigned name.

There is also no explanation as to why there is both a controller icon and a speaker icon added by the Beam. The speaker icon seems particularly pointless as it isn't possible to assign it to a speaker group.
I had the same issue.

It turns out the HDMI cable that comes with the Beam is bad quality.
I replaced it with one of my HDMIs, and HDMI-ARC worked right away.

I wish I had known this before. I wasted 1h troubleshooting everything.
I can't think of any reason why it needs to default to be called a Sonos controller. You have to rename it to include "TV" in it's name, because otherwise the Google Assistant doesn't seem to be have been provided with information to understand that it's attached to your television. The configuration in the Android Google Home app is extremely limited versus other devices, there is no option to apply a Nickname, so you do have to alter the assigned name.

There is also no explanation as to why there is both a controller icon and a speaker icon added by the Beam. The speaker icon seems particularly pointless as it isn't possible to assign it to a speaker group.

Just for your info you can assign a nickname to the Sonos Home Control TV device.. just goto GH App “Settings/More Settings” select the Assistant Tab and then ‘Home Control’. Find the TV device in the list and select it to assign it a nickname.

The Home Control TV device is for GA control of the HDMI-CEC commands to turn the TV on and off etc. The other device shown, is the actual speaker for playing audio to using GA and currently it can be assigned to 'rooms' in the Google Home. It’s quite possible that some further development work will allow it to be assigned to the Google Groups, but it’s not yet clear if that will happen.

I know some users are hoping such speaker devices can be chosen as a default speaker for google home devices. It’s not clear that will happen either, but I do hear (have seen reported) that in the latest GA App a user can now select a default Sonos speaker for a Sonos One, or Beam, device with the voice services installed.

It’s clearly a work in progress and perhaps we will see more functionality with each new update.
So I have got the above working, the challenge I now have is, because my TV is a Sony Android TV there is duplicate TV devices on Google Home & it will let me turn it on and off but not do any of the more advanced android tv controls like launch apps or switch HDMI source via the google assistant, any help on this? I feel so close to that seamless experience between sonos, Google Assistant/Home & Android TV
So I have got the above working, the challenge I now have is, because my TV is a Sony Android TV there is duplicate TV devices on Google Home & it will let me turn it on and off but not do any of the more advanced android tv controls like launch apps or switch HDMI source via the google assistant, any help on this? I feel so close to that seamless experience between sonos, Google Assistant/Home & Android TV
Perhaps call one device 'TV' and the other 'Sony TV', then use that chosen name in your utterances so that the correct actions required, are then applied using the corresponding installed device/card installed in the Google Assistant App.

Hope that makes sense.
Hi all, thanks for your ideas so far. I am having a similar problem but the above fixes have not helped.

For context, I am trying to use the Sonos Beam (with Google Assistant) to turn on/off a Vizio E48-D0 TV. The Sonos Beam is connected to the TV via the HDMI ARC input and the sound works just fine. However, the Google Assistant will not turn the tv off or on. I've tried renaming the "Sonos TV Control for Living Room" to TV and the Vizio TV to just Vizio (in order to distinguish them), but that has not worked. Any suggestions?
Hi all, thanks for your ideas so far. I am having a similar problem but the above fixes have not helped.

For context, I am trying to use the Sonos Beam (with Google Assistant) to turn on/off a Vizio E48-D0 TV. The Sonos Beam is connected to the TV via the HDMI ARC input and the sound works just fine. However, the Google Assistant will not turn the tv off or on. I've tried renaming the "Sonos TV Control for Living Room" to TV and the Vizio TV to just Vizio (in order to distinguish them), but that has not worked. Any suggestions?

Have you enabled CEC control within the TV system settings. I found an example from a Visio TV Manual online.. (see screenshot), but not sure if it will look exactly the same on your particular model.

Hope that helps to get things sorted.

Have you enabled CEC control within the TV system settings. I found an example from a Visio TV Manual online.. (see screenshot), but not sure if it will look exactly the same on your particular model.

Hope that helps to get things sorted.

Thanks, I have tried that but unfortunately it did not work. The Vizio has three CEC settings: Enable, ARC only, and Disable. I tried both Enable and ARC only.
Montgomery, when you change the CEC setting you may need to power off BOTH devices completely and disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable to set up the handshake. Make sure you are using a correct HDMI Cable, as some older versions may not support CEC. So enable CEC and then try that and see if it works.

If it still fails, my next suggestion would be to try a completely different HDMI cable.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have this exact issue - did you find a solution to this? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

Hey Everyone, 

I have a similar issue, except my beam turns on the tv well. The issue is that it rather than keeping the Input selected as the previous HDMI input which my cable box is plugged into. It sets the TV Input to view the HDMI ARC port which is only exporting Audio. So I have to pick up the TV Remote just to change video inputs every time I turn the TV on with a voice command.

Anybody else experience this issue?

Hey Everyone, 

I have a similar issue, except my beam turns on the tv well. The issue is that it rather than keeping the Input selected as the previous HDMI input which my cable box is plugged into. It sets the TV Input to view the HDMI ARC port which is only exporting Audio. So I have to pick up the TV Remote just to change video inputs every time I turn the TV on with a voice command.

Anybody else experience this issue?

That sounds just like the issue with some Samsung TV’s. If I recall correctly it’s referred to online as 'Auto-detect HDMI’. Perhaps try searching for that term on google with your particular TV make/model.

In some Samsung TV’s this was a huge problem as it could not be switched off, but in some later models Samsung added a setting to switch off the feature.

Obviously I do not know if you are using a Samsung TV, or what model it maybe, but regardless of that fact, I would check with your TV manufacturers support desk to see how you can perhaps turn off the ‘Auto-Detect HDMI’ feature.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Ken_Griffithsyour instructions partially worked for my Samsung QLED 2019 model. I can now switch the TV on by issuing voice commands. However, to turn off the TV by GA or GH commands, the source must be set to the Beam. If another HDMI input is active, e.g. my cable box, the commands to turn it off do nothing. It's like the TV does not "listen" to this type of HDMI input when not actively selected.

Any ideas how to fix this? I can not find any settings that relates to this. 

Thanks Ken_Griffithsyour instructions partially worked for my Samsung QLED 2019 model. I can now switch the TV on by issuing voice commands. However, to turn off the TV by GA or GH commands, the source must be set to the Beam. If another HDMI input is active, e.g. my cable box, the commands to turn it off do nothing. It's like the TV does not "listen" to this type of HDMI input when not actively selected.

Any ideas how to fix this? I can not find any settings that relates to this. 

I suspect this is the way Samsung have implemented the HDMI-CEC standard which they call ‘anynet+‘ when the Beam first came out I seem to recall some users mentioning the issue and not sure if anyone discovered a way to resolve it. Maybe worth searching this community or perhaps speak to Samsung support about the matter.

Some options to maybe consider, if you use a voice assistant on the Beam, is to see if there is a smarthome Alexa skill or Google device add-on to perform the TV switch on/switch off process instead and even change channel (perhaps?).. and give those the TV control, away from the Beam.

In my case I have two Beams in my home, 'Bedroom' and 'Dining Room' and the one LG TV has no HDMI-CEC instruction (by design) to switch off the TV ...LG chose not to implement that on some models and so it can only be turned off by its IR remote. To get around this I have added the Logitech Harmony hub to my room and this works incredibly well, taking over (sometimes) from the remote using voice control and it will work on virtually any make/model of TV. The Hub is s bit of a learning curve, but if I can do these things,  my thoughts are that most folk will be able to do it too. I certainly would take a look at that option.

The Hub will do the following (and more) for example (All via voice/app control).…

1. Power on/off the TV
  2. Change TV Channel
  3. Change HDMI/Input ports
  4. Adjust/Mute volume
  5. Launch Apps
  6. Pause TV or playing Apps

So at least that may give you some things to consider if you are not able to find a solution for your TV.

Hope that assists.👍

since 2 days the arc, replacing the soundbar. Works super. Only the google voice assistant is no longer on the sonos ONE, but on the ARC.
This isn't nice working. I usually sit on the couch and the sonos ONE is to my left and right. The ACR under the TV. I prefer to google on the ONE. Instead of screaming at the ARC. But because they automatically disabled the mic, it doesn't work anymore and you can't turn it on. Sonos give the user the choice.

since 2 days the arc, replacing the soundbar. Works super. Only the google voice assistant is no longer on the sonos ONE, but on the ARC.
This isn't nice working. I usually sit on the couch and the sonos ONE is to my left and right. The ACR under the TV. I prefer to google on the ONE. Instead of screaming at the ARC. But because they automatically disabled the mic, it doesn't work anymore and you can't turn it on. Sonos give the user the choice.

I would like a choice too as to which device to use for the voice assistant. As a workaround however you could perhaps add a google nest hub or echo dot device (depending on voice assistant preference) near to your seated viewing position. In my case I have added an echo dot.

I would like a choice too as to which device to use for the voice assistant. As a workaround however you could perhaps add a google nest hub or echo dot device (depending on voice assistant preference) near to your seated viewing position. In my case I have added an echo dot.

I even have them both. my house is full of Google minis and the hub. Ever since I got a ring doorbell, I've been ultrasound. But she can't do much in the UK. Was really just for the video of the doorbell. Also because I love new things.
But in order to get alexa working properly in the UK I have to take a fake address in the US and I don't want to do that anyway.
The reason I turned off the google home mini in the living room is because she always struggled to see the sonos as the main player

I even have them both. my house is full of Google minis and the hub. Ever since I got a ring doorbell, I've been ultrasound. But she can't do much in the UK. Was really just for the video of the doorbell. Also because I love new things.
But in order to get alexa working properly in the UK I have to take a fake address in the US and I don't want to do that anyway.
The reason I turned off the google home mini in the living room is because she always struggled to see the sonos as the main player

I’m from the U.K. and have both google home hubs, nest displays and echo dots in every room of the home..All are set to UK English locale and everything works fine here with Sonos.

Amazon 'Alexa Enabled Groups' work perfectly for automatically grouping/ungrouping sonos devices ...and both Alexa and Google each support Sonos (voice capable) speaker’s as their default speaker for audio output.

Had same/similar issue, I could turn on my Samsung TV, but turn off command would only work when input was on Chromecast. This is after above renaming trick. But after 3rd time resetting and redoing all it finally worked. The trick was setting up Samsung TV's Google assistant last. So removed all linked devices both from Google assistant linked devices, and Google home app. Then reset beam to factory settings and set up all again. Then add Google assistant on smart things app. Then all worked fine, no renaming trick needed either. Now all voice commands supposed to work for Samsung TV works fine, https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/google-home-alexa-voice-commands-for-samsung-tvs/, including turning off and on at any input. And I did set up Google assistant on Samsung TV as last step (just skipped the step adding it to a room so it doesn't mix with smart things link), so I can use Google assistant directly on Samsung TV as well. P.s. Google assistant on Samsung TV activated from a button on remote, so it doesn't need ok/hey Google wake up call, and because of that they don't mix either.

Hope this helps, good luck.