Google Assistant completely useless now

• 7 September 2020
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I too am experiencing issues of a similar nature and have narrowed the issue down to sonos, not google. Can someone from Sonos please address this systemic issue. Paying this much for a device to be useless is insulting. 

I'm getting this constantly:

"Sorry something went wrong.

When you're ready, give it another try"

Sometimes retrying is successful, but after 4 retries, I give up.

This is so insanely frustrating!

Me TOO!  It’s gotten so bad recently.  I’ve removed and reinstalled Google Assistant several times.  I’ve rebooted my router.  I’ve connected Sonos to my router directly.  Nothing worked.  It finally got so bad that I deleted my whole Google Home and started over.  I did everything short of a factory reboot on my Sonos speakers.  Instead, I just put up my old Google nest minis again.  I don’t exactly regret buying my Sonos speakers, because they do sound great for music, but I DO regret buying the Ones that have GA build in.  I should have just gone with the SL.  I have to use the Sonos app all the time anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It would help if you could explain what you have found, so Sonos can use that to clear this problem.

I too am experiencing issues of a similar nature and have narrowed the issue down to sonos, not google. Can someone from Sonos please address this systemic issue. Paying this much for a device to be useless is insulting. 

Issues

• when i ask what’s the weather, google says sorry, I don’t understand 
  • when i ask what is the time, it gives me the Wikipedia definition of time

when i ask the same questions to google on non sonos devices (e.g. my phone), i get the expected response.

i have performed a factory reset of both my sonos speakers, and I have deleted and re-added them to google home. 

i have a sonos one play and a sound bar. Both have the same issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have a Beam, Move and One, the Move being about a week old.

When I got the Move I migrated from Alexa to GA, since I am a YT Music subscriber and got tired of waiting for YouTube and Amazon to start playing ball.

GA is TERRRRRIBLE on Sonos.  I ask to turn on a light and I get no response for about 5 seconds, then finally the light turns on, then I get “Sure, turning on the light”...thanks, I can see that, even though I’ve been 5 seconds not knowing if it heard me or not.

Playing music is terrible (GA fault I assume), as someone else said, playing a song just plays a song and stops, it should create a playlist based upon the song.

Specific to Sonos, its just slow terribly, misses more than Alexa, and worse than anything is that there is very little reply from Sonos, and the Move (at least in my country), is literally brand new.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On my system the experience is GA is much better. Does GA work 100%? No, but it does swiftly turn my lights on or off, and it does play another song after the song I started from Spotify.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So it could still be on the Google side of the Google/Sonos interface. Maybe you should call Sonos for help in case it is your specific set up that’s causing trouble.

Honestly, I’ve been so disappointed in GA on Sonos that I’ve put my Google minis all around the house again.  They just work better.  My Sonos ones sound great, but I’m controlling them with my phone, not my voice.  After having had google speakers for years, which always just WORKED, I can’t believe how buggy it is on Sonos!  After a while I get tired of having so many speakers around the house and go back to using GA on Sonos, only to be disappointed again and get the minis back out.

I am having the same problems with Google assistant. Every command I give yields the same repsonse (“sorry something went wrong” ) then the second time I give the same command it sometimes works. And sometimes I can give the same commands that give a result sometimes till i am blue in the face but it does not do anything. I am appalled at the crappy quality of this “integration” and to redirect people that have complaints to Google is completely laughable. This is CLEARLY a Sonos issue.  I was a huge Sonos advocate for a long time but this just sucks. I am going to see what else I can get for my money, that actually works. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Just coming back to my reply a month ago, I had no choice but to switch back to Alexa.

It really annoys me that I’m forced to, since I am a YTMusic sub, and since Alexa won’t allow me to use YTMusic I can use no voice commands for music - a pretty critical feature of a Sonos Speaker wouldn’t you say Sonos?!

I have left GA on one device only in my garage, the rest Alexa for day to day routines.

GA if I ask it to do anything, whether that be tell me the weather, play a song, turn a light on, it takes 5 seconds just to reply to me - of course in that time I have no idea if it actually heard me unless I check the flashing light first.

Terrible, unusable, thanks Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos’ advice is to contact Google, but you could try Sonos first if to rule out it’s a networking problem on you side. Try uninstalling and reinstalling GA first.

Hola, tengo un problema muy estresante con el GA,  compré una Sonos Beam para escuchar música y cambiar mi pequeño parlante de Google, pero simplemente no funciona con Spotify ni con Apple Music. Desde la Sonos beam, el asistente es completamente inútil para reproducir música y cualquier contenido multimedia. Es muy frustrante escuchar al asistente darme instrucciones de cómo debo pedir la música, “ para reproducir contenido multimedia di por ejemplo : reproducir música pop …. “ lo insólito es que el Nest mini que es muchísimo más barato funciona 1000 veces mejor con el GA. Es mi única queja, deberían hacer algo porque la experiencia de uso se cae a pedazos con ese detalle.

Si alguien aquí lee esto y encontró una solución, favor su apoyo.

Gracias !!!