Answered

Google Assistant Alarm too Quiet on Sonos One

• 23 February 2020
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Google assistant seemed to get even quieter a couple of months ago. While you can’t adjust the alarm volume can you just add a feature to control the overall volume of google assistant? All the voice and alarms are way too quiet and it all just needs to be managed as a seperate “google assistant” volume option please.

Same complaint here! Using Sonos Arc, alarm is useless as it is too soft!

Was looking forward to getting a Sonos Beam to replace the Google Home in my bedroom, but the Beam won’t be able to take over the duty of waking us up in the morning. This is such a shame and an unexpected deal breaker!

Same problem here, bought 2 weeks ago the Sonos Beam and 3 Sonos ONE, 
One Sonos ONE is in the kitchen and the others in the living room as Surround set.

Google Assistent  is to quiet, the google timer in the kitchen is unusable because you can't hear the beep. You can't hardly understand the assistent in the living room, because the volume is to low.
Another problem Google Assistent can't find content on the Sonos Radio, only on TuneIn services.
A  seperate “google assistant” volume option is very much desired, and please fix the Sonos Radio problem.

I’m having the same issue on my Sonos One with Google Assistant. The volume of the alarm is too quiet making it useless as an alarm. Hoping for a quick resolution to this issue as it is important for my use of Sonos One with Google Assistant.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate for bringing your concern to us and letting us know about it. Let me help you figure out what's happening.

You can use alarms to wake up to your favorite songs in the morning or set up reminders throughout the day in the Sonos app. 

The alarm sound can be changed to your desired volume limit. You can also create a playlist from your music service and linked it with the alarm you want to play with it.

When you command Google Assistant to set up an alarm on Sonos devices, it may or may not work. It's a cloud-based/assistant alarms and it's not visible with Sonos. This means that they are not synced. 

Alarm sounds are only played from Google Nest and Home speakers or displays. Alarm sounds don't play on other Cast devices (ex. TVs, other speakers) that are associated with your Google Nest or Home device.

Reference links:
https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7071598?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en&oco=0

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/9275058?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

If you're having this issue, please run through our troubleshooting guide about Google Assistant.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

This volume issue seems to be occurring with all Assistants on all Sonos products. May I suggest Sonos dev team implement a separate assistant volume controller in the app?

thank you

The alarm sound can be changed to your desired volume limit.

Separately from the overall speaker (e.g. Move) volume?

Edit: I see now that is the case. This is good.

At what volume does a Google-originated alarm play? I suppose it is the volume last used when playing on Sonos? So the volume for an alarm can be set in the Sonos app?

You can set the alarm volume separate from media volume on Google devices through the Google Home app. So when you run a routine like “goodnight” on a google device, it could lower media volume, set an alarm for the morning, and play some white noise at a low volume. This allows the alarm to be loud enough to wake you up in the morning. However when you do the same with a Sonos One, the alarm will only play at the level the speaker was at last. So running the routine “goodnight”, the alarm in the morning will only go off at the same level as the white noise from the night before.

Sonos refers you to the Sonos app to adjust alarm volume but that’s only for alarms set in the Sonos app itself. Theres no way to properly run google routines with Sonos speakers.

I use a google nest in my room and i have no problem that alarm

The problem isn't with the alarm on a google nest. It’s a problem with a google alarm set on a Sonos One. It will only play at the volume the speaker was at last.

Read that. This is the root of the issue. Sonos decided to tie the volume of Google Assistant (and its component audio) to the music playback volume instead of a dedicated volume control. Setting the volume correctly for music results in Assistant (and alarms, etc...) volume being extremely soft. Please implement a separate volume control for Assistant. Other smarthome devices already does that, so why not Sonos being a premium product?

I find it easier to personally use the in-built Sonos Alarm feature, rather than the Google Alarm, as the Sonos settings comes with its own volume control slider-bar, as per attached screenshot.

Maybe the way the Google alarm works is perhaps a restriction imposed by Google themselves, but the Sonos alarms seem to work fine, so maybe just give that a go instead.