Skip to main content

Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

I just played a song that I saved to Sonos Favorites. When I did that it replaced my entire existing queue with that one song. Is that how it’s supposed to work?

Tapping/playing one song will replace the queue. If you select Play Now or Play Next, it will add it to the current or next position in the queue without replacing the queue. 

I just played a song that I saved to Sonos Favorites. When I did that it replaced my entire existing queue with that one song. Is that how it’s supposed to work?

Tapping/playing one song will replace the queue. If you select Play Now or Play Next, it will add it to the current position in the queue without replacing the queue. 

Thank you Rhonny. I’ll give that a try right now, but I don’t think it gives me the option to do that.  

Tapping/playing one song will replace the queue. If you select Play Now or Play Next, it will add it to the current position in the queue without replacing the queue. 

Thank you Rhonny. I’ll give that a try right now, but I don’t think it gives me the option to do that.  

You should be able to hold down the track’s thumbnail/picture to bring up the options. 

Okay, I just tried it. You have to put your finger on the song and hold it until the menu pops up. Thanks for your help. 

I think our posts crossed! 

Glad it’s working. 

Yes, the default action is to play and replace the queue playlist (there is a warning if the queue has been edited, but obviously that does not apply at the moment, until that feature is reintroduced to the new App), but there are currently other options from the ‘playback options’ screen (long press on the track), to see actions such as ‘Play Next’, ‘Add to End of Queue’ etc. It depends what’s in the queue and the item you’re selecting aswell. However see attached as one example of displaying the ‘playback options’ screen.

My own personal gripe is the ‘playback option’ screen is a little slow to display compared to the old S2 App, which was a context menu and displayed faster. It had other features too, like playing a selected track from a selected Album, which is not available in the new Sonos App. 😕

Edit: @Rhonny beat me to it.👍

So new firmware release this afternoon, UK at least, 80.1.56190. Painless update but not sure what is addressed, anyone got any clues - can't find firmware release notes?

So new firmware release this afternoon, UK at least, 80.1.56190. Painless update but not sure what is addressed, anyone got any clues - can't find firmware release notes?

Surprisingly delighted or further disgruntled posts on here should help identify the changelog before the release notes are made available….

Surprisingly delighted or further disgruntled posts on here should help identify the changelog before the release notes are made available….

It’s rare for firmware release notes to be made available afaik, unlike the apps.

They seem to be treated like publishing firmware release notes would expose secrets about the way devices work. Unless you know where the firmware release notes get published @Rhonny ?

New firmware did NOT fix compilation album issue.

It’s rare for firmware release notes to be made available afaik, unlike the apps.

They seem to be treated like publishing firmware release notes would expose secrets about the way devices work. Unless you know where the firmware release notes get published @Rhonny ?

No, I only remember firmware details being outlined once before when (I seem to recall) the firmware update came before the app update and bricked Android access to the app. Otherwise of course, it’s usually the software and firmware in unison, with one list on the release notes. 

My reference to firmware release notes in my earlier post was a misnomer really, and was secondary to the main point of that post. 

This firmware update to 16.3.3 installed a little oddly for me. First pass said success but when I checked speaker details, it showed sub gen 2 had not completed. When I checked again for new updates, it showed only the sub needed it. Seems like this is the first time there was that much specificity in this process. Wonder if this is intended or not, since I don't see a reference in the latest app update release notes.

Not going to sugar coat it, but what y'all did with the release of this new * app is beyond me. In what world was this a good idea? Who from Sonos was like ‘lets release this new app, remove some of our key features, and ensure that our users have connection issues, have devices disappear from the app, and create the most non user-friendly flow of controls). I mean that's like just SOME of the major pain points with the new app.

Don't get me wrong - I’m all in favor of new features and a new shiny UI/UX, but for g-d sake, make it ACTUALLY WORK. I know a large handful of users who have left Sonos for others (like Ubiquiti’s new PowerAmp) which I hear INCREDIBLE things about. *

Do something about this. I can't deal with these headaches - I’m about to throw my Sonos Arc off the 35th floor of my building! (Joking, but kinda thinking about it now...)

EDIT: Kinda funny that I was even getting errors when trying to post this to the community forum 🤣. Get your head out of the gutter, SONOS!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

“…what y’all did with the release of the new app…?” It’s nothing to do with us!

There was a firmware update earlier today. Run that in case that helps in some small way…

Didn’t help me.  Compilations are still a problem.  Also the test Windows 10 share I created with one album in it no longer indexes.  What an improvement!

Wow another mess in this update.  Trueplay changed., WHY!!  That was working.  Now no eq controls or loudness on any of my rooms.  I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!

Didn’t help me.  Compilations are still a problem.  

Not sure that would be solved by a firmware update? Wouldn’t that be software?

Wow another mess in this update.  Trueplay changed., WHY!!  That was working.  Now no eq controls or loudness on any of my rooms.  I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!

Try force closing the app and reopening it. 

Rhonny:

It happened after the 16.3 update so I’m guessing it was firmware.

Try force closing the app and reopening it. 

Oh I’ve tried everything.  Now rebooting my router and all speakers.

My system did not require new Trueplay tuning after this update to 16.3.3, nor were there any forced changes to my EQ related settings in the app.

Lucky you. I’d keep clear of touching it if i were you. 

Didn’t help me.  Compilations are still a problem.  

Not sure that would be solved by a firmware update? Wouldn’t that be software?

It was acknowledged in the related thread that the compilation issue was caused by a firmware update and would need a firmware release rather than app update to fix, but no eta is available. With the time since it was broken, the hope was the next firmware release would fix it, unfortunately there appear to be higher priority changes needed in the firmware.

Just updated to the new app ion my Mac mini Pro2. Its dumped the connection to my music that took me for ever to work out how to link . No longer have access to my music. Brilliant again Sonos. 

Just updated to the new app ion my Mac mini Pro2. Its dumped the connection to my music that took me for ever to work out how to link . No longer have access to my music. Brilliant again Sonos. 

Not that it helps the situation, but it has updated the firmware (speakers) rather than the app. So the firmware has lost the link to your music (presumably a music library). As it’s likely a hardware issue, I’d suggest quitting the Sonos app, and rebooting your Sonos speakers, then reopening the Mac app to see if the connection re-establishes itself.