Spanning tree issues with NO hard wired Ethernet?

• 20 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have a question re: STP. It seems like we get constant issues (WiFi drops, network getting slow and then crashing, etc.) with STP when deploying managed switches with Sonos. On these jobs, both Sonos and the networking manufacturer claim that all settings are optimal in the router/switches/etc.

Sonos’ site shows:

Sonos uses Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) to maintain communication between the products in your system when in a wired setup

Does this mean (they underlined wired) that setting up all of the Sonos units in a WiFi configuration and bypassing SonosNet may fix STP problems? I have gotten conflicting answers from different sources. If this bypasses STP loops, it would be great to know to cut down on this troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Fix isn’t the word I’d use, more ‘avoid’. 

But all of the issues you report are also consistent with duplicate IP addresses.

In addition to going with a wired solution that avoids multiple devices connected to managed switches, have you already assigned all Sonos devices a reserved IP?

It may be useful for you to also look at:

The wireless and wired systems FAQ and the wired and wireless modes FAQ

Does this mean (they underlined wired) that setting up all of the Sonos units in a WiFi configuration and bypassing SonosNet may fix STP problems?

Yes. STP is disabled when a device is connected to WiFi.

Badge +1

Fix isn’t the word I’d use, more ‘avoid’. 

But all of the issues you report are also consistent with duplicate IP addresses.

In addition to going with a wired solution that avoids multiple devices connected to managed switches, have you already assigned all Sonos devices a reserved IP?

It may be useful for you to also look at:

The wireless and wired systems FAQ and the wired and wireless modes FAQ

The Sonos units all have static IPs. The issues aren’t Sonos-related (we’re not worried about Sonos drops). The problems are that the network is intermittent from both a wired and wireless perspective. We’ve had these issues with Ruckus, Luxul and Araknis when Sonos is on a managed network. I’m wondering if removing all wired Sonos units from the wired network and connecting them via WiFi (not SonosNet) may remove STP looping from the equation.

Yes. WiFi will obviate RSTP. As will wiring just one unit to the root of the network. The trouble starts when two Sonos devices are wired.

Badge +1

Yes. WiFi will obviate RSTP. As will wiring just one unit to the root of the network. The trouble starts when two Sonos devices are wired.

Actually, Sonos STP issues start with one unit wired on Level 2 switches. Sonos, tech support from Ruckus (Access Networks) and Araknis are very clear about this. 

I recently encountered a managed network indicating (at the global level) that it was using STP, not RSTP, but one of the switches was not capable of using STP. There was no indication of this in the control interface, but the flooding was obvious. It seems that everyone learned about this little quirk the hard way.