Sonos v16

• 6 February 2024
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

With the 16.0 update indicating a major update to the system, the release notes don’t really say anything. Come on Sonos do better! 

Does anyone have any insight?

—————

In this update:

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

System requirements changes:

• The Sonos app will no longer receive updates on the following operating systems. The app can still be used to control commonly-used features.
    • iOS 14 and 15
    • iPadOS 14 and 15

System requirements

• Android 8.0 or later
  • iOS 16 or later
  • iPadOS 16 or later
  • macOS 10.12 or later
  • Windows 8 or later
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

31 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Bad news for me my old iPad mini is now outdated as my media controller so had to use a full sized iPad now 😮‍💨 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Era bluetooth bug with some devices like bt turntables is fixed. But there is different feedback yet over the community. For some users it worked but for others it didn’t. 

Era100 Alexa bug sadly isn’t fixed yet. 
But there was also following an update for Alexa app later same day. Maybe both together fixed it… haven’t tested this after the Amazon update. 

My suspicion is that there were multiple issues. The fix worked for those with one specific problem, but not those with another connection issue. But if those folks don’t submit a diagnostic, and contact Sonos, we will never know. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My suspicion is that there were multiple issues. The fix worked for those with one specific problem, but not those with another connection issue. But if those folks don’t submit a diagnostic, and contact Sonos, we will never know. 

We know there are multiple fixes as the release notes says “bug fixes”  

I’m saying Sonos should do us a solid and let us know what the fixes are so we can focus our attention on finding the new bugs they introduced with this release 🤣 

No argument there at all, in fact I ‘liked’ your original post. I’m just suggesting that there may have been multiple reasons why people weren’t able to connect using Bluetooth, but decided because there was already one reason, there was no need to look any further.

But it would be nice if Sonos would be a bit more responsive in saying what was in an update beyond ‘bug fixes’….something I’ve asked them to do many times. It would be unacceptable behavior in my previous software release processes.  So far, to no avail, but it won’t stop me from periodically bringing it up, or liking posts like yours in a similar vein.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

No argument there at all, in fact I ‘liked’ your original post. I’m just suggesting that there may have been multiple reasons why people weren’t able to connect using Bluetooth, but decided because there was already one reason, there was no need to look any further.

But it would be nice if Sonos would be a bit more responsive in saying what was in an update beyond ‘bug fixes’….something I’ve asked them to do many times. It would be unacceptable behavior in my previous software release processes.  So far, to no avail, but it won’t stop me from periodically bringing it up, or liking posts like yours in a similar vein.

I thought your response was to my OP not the Bluetooth issue😀

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I've requested a reboot option on the app but disappointed again to see it's not been added with this update. This would save owner's with the loss of connection issues having to do a complete power cycle.

I have sent diagnostics but it didn't show anything 

I've requested a reboot option on the app but disappointed again to see it's not been added with this update. This would save owner's with the loss of connection issues having to do a complete power cycle.

How would a remote reboot option work if the network connection to the device had been lost?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

How would a remote reboot option work if the network connection to the device had been lost?

Perhaps it’s for the other Sonos devices that may be still working but support says needs to be rebooted as well. Or because the problem might be intermittent. I don’t know just spit ballin here. 

It’s probably easier to switch off the local DHCP server and then switch it on again, than go around rebooting everything. Anything that doesn’t connect after that, will likely need power-cycling manually by the user anyway.

If the IP addresses are static in the Routers DHCP reservation table, then the missing product(s) can also be quickly confirmed as actually being offline, rather than it perhaps being an intermittent multicast broadcast ‘device discovery’ issue by the controller device, which some users may confuse with a device not connected to the LAN. 

I can’t recall the last time I had a Sonos product drop its network connection and ‘device discovery’ has greatly improved in the S2 App during the past couple of years, particularly when running all on a WiFi mesh signal.

That could be part of the reason why Sonos might be hesitant to provide more detail in release notes.   If the bluetooth issue, or any other issue, is only fixed in certain circumstances, or they are not 100% sure it’s fixed for everyone, than they might not want to try an explain that in release notes.  Or, the expect that such information will just serve to a point of complaint for certain users.  Why did you fix this issue and not my issue?  Etc.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t like more details in release notes personally, just trying to speculate on why.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

With the 16.0 update indicating a major update to the system, the release notes don’t really say anything. Come on Sonos do better! 

Does anyone have any insight?

—————

In this update:

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

System requirements changes:

• The Sonos app will no longer receive updates on the following operating systems. The app can still be used to control commonly-used features.
    • iOS 14 and 15
    • iPadOS 14 and 15

System requirements

• Android 8.0 or later
  • iOS 16 or later
  • iPadOS 16 or later
  • macOS 10.12 or later
  • Windows 8 or later
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

Shouldn’t be surprising. Sonos rarely ever tells us what the bug fixes or enhancements are…always the same stupid generic echo statement. One of the downfalls of Sonos to me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hopefully it may have fixed the issues with Connect:Amps dropping out — I have 3 of those, so I hope so.  I have to go through the process of disconnecting my Play:1s as surrounds from the Beam as the update fails every time without doing this.   For years I never had any issues but as time goes by they seem to becoming more numerous with my entire setup.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

That could be part of the reason why Sonos might be hesitant to provide more detail in release notes.   If the bluetooth issue, or any other issue, is only fixed in certain circumstances, or they are not 100% sure it’s fixed for everyone, than they might not want to try an explain that in release notes.  Or, the expect that such information will just serve to a point of complaint for certain users.  Why did you fix this issue and not my issue?  Etc.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t like more details in release notes personally, just trying to speculate on why.

Not sure if this link will work to the correct post, but a sonos employee has posted that the bluetooth sound issue is confirmed fixed.

Hopefully it may have fixed the issues with Connect:Amps dropping out

Is your issue off topic for this release or not? I forget now!

So you gents are now on 16; I am happy running 11.12 on S1 and all is good at my end:-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

What I mean by losing connection is that the TV switches to built in speakers and Sonos is no longer  available on the TV without doing a power cycle. 

What I mean by losing connection is that the TV switches to built in speakers and Sonos is no longer  available on the TV without doing a power cycle. 

Agreed, that could potentially be a valid use case. But it would be addressing the effect rather than the cause, which is typically a CEC fight between devices connected to the TV. Disable CEC on the other devices and usually the TV will retain the correct CEC state and send audio to the Sonos device.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Agreed, that could potentially be a valid use case. But it would be addressing the effect rather than the cause, which is typically a CEC fight between devices connected to the TV. Disable CEC on the other devices and usually the TV will retain the correct CEC state.

I have a firestick in HDMI 1 that is connected via a Lindy CEC free adaptor 

Agreed, that could potentially be a valid use case. But it would be addressing the effect rather than the cause, which is typically a CEC fight between devices connected to the TV. Disable CEC on the other devices and usually the TV will retain the correct CEC state.

Do you turn the TV off at the wall or leave it in standby?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Do you turn the TV off at the wall or leave it in standby?

I  recently swapped the Firestick from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 as an experiment and left everything in stand by. The system was stable for over a week without the need to power cycle.

After the Sonos 16.0 update I switched on from standby this morning and it didn't connect to Sonos.

So it looks like I have no choice but to power down at night again. 

This is why I believe a reboot option would be helpful.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yet another * rolled out update from Sonos. Had to remove and hard reset sub to complete the hardware update. I only have 12 sonos devices. Y'all suck.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I’m not sure what TV you have, but it sounds like the issue that Samsung had with some models of their TV’s and it was with a variety of different soundbars and not just those from Sonos. Samsung did try to fix the issue last September (2023) with some firmware updates, but some users said their issue wasn’t fixed.

One workaround method was to switch to using the TV’s optical output. So that might be worth considering, but you’’ll just lose out on Dolby Atmos - Some users did report success with switching off HDMi-eARC and just using HDMI-ARC instead - so even if your TV is not a Samsung you could maybe try those things with your TV, obviously that’s if those options are available to you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m not sure what TV you have, but it sounds like the issue that Samsung had with some models of their TV’s and it was with a variety of different soundbars and not just those from Sonos. Samsung did try to fix the issue last September (2023) with some firmware updates, but some users said their issue wasn’t fixed.

One workaround method was to switch to using the TV’s optical output. So that might be worth considering, but you’’ll just lose out on Dolby Atmos - Some users did report success with switching off HDMi-eARC and just using HDMI-ARC instead - so even if your TV is not a Samsung you could maybe try those things with your TV, obviously that’s if those options are available to you.

I have indeed got a Samsung qled TV 12 months old, and I did try the optical cable supplied with the Sonos but I found the body of the cable too big, it was fouling on the body of the TV.

I have indeed got a Samsung Qled TV and I have tried the optical adapter supplied with the Sonos but the body of the cable is too wide and pushes against the body of the TV and prevents it from working. 

I'll try turning off e-ARC Tomorrow, although I thought Sonos needs it on to work

I have indeed got a Samsung qled TV 12 months old, and I did try the optical cable supplied with the Sonos but I found the body of the cable too big, it was fouling on the body of the TV

I have indeed got a Samsung Qled TV and I have tried the optical adapter supplied with the Sonos but the body of the cable is too wide and pushes against the body of the TV and prevents it from working. 

I'll try turning off e-ARC Tomorrow, although I thought Sonos needs it on to work

No HDMI-eARC can be ‘on’ or ‘off’ - it’s really only needed anyway for uncompressed Dolby MAT/Multi-channel LPCM audio, or uncompressed Dolby TrueHD/Atmos audio, but otherwise the streaming services will work fine with DD+ Atmos audio, if you do leave it off.

NB: You do need to leave CEC enabled however on the TV (which Samsung call AnyNet+) that’s if you use the Arc connection. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

A smart plug would do to allow you to reboot the ARC. However, it could be an issue with the TV. My ARC connection to my LG C1 works perfectly.