Answered

sonos repair

• 2 August 2023
  • 23 replies

PSA!  Sonos does not repair products out of warranty! You have to buy new. They will give you a 30% discount. My $400 Move will cost me $300 to replace it. I have over $4,000 of Sonos that is now basically Junk! No one can repair Sonos. 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 2 August 2023, 16:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Sonos does not offer a repair service nor do they provide warranty for any 3rd party repair.  Obviously, you are free to try and repair it yourself or pay someone to repair if you wish. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the cost of repair comes rather close to the cost to replace.

Worth noting that Sonos has changed their manufacturing process to use less glue and more screws to make repairs more feasible.

As for the the “$4,000 of Sonos that is now basically Junk!” comment, are you saying that none of your Sonos products work any more?

@Ebigham,

You could just take out ‘extended warranty’ insurance - it’s why insurance companies offer that type of protection to consumers.

Aiso there are some retailers that may offer between 2yrs and 6yrs extended warranty cover that is included in the purchase price of Sonos products. 

In some parts of the world there are 3rd-party Sonos product repairers, but that may depend on your country of residence. You can often check online if any are available to you. 

However, as you mention, Sonos may offer their customers a 30% discount in some instances, when device failures occur outside their normal warranty period, which I personally think is very generous and seems to be far more than any other manufacturer will provide to their customers.

So there are plenty of options and it’s why I’m happy to purchase their products - having been part of this community for some years, the amount of device failures mentioned are very few. in my experience, particularly when one considers the likely amount of products that Sonos sell worldwide each and every year.

@Ebigham,

- having been part of this community for some years, the amount of device failures mentioned are very few. in my experience, particularly when one considers the likely amount of products that Sonos sell worldwide each and every year.

It’s somewhat like a hospital. After taking the tour, it’s easy to come away thinking that “everyone” is sick.

Sonos does not offer a repair service nor do they provide warranty for any 3rd party repair.  Obviously, you are free to try and repair it yourself or pay someone to repair if you wish. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the cost of repair comes rather close to the cost to replace.

Worth noting that Sonos has changed their manufacturing process to use less glue and more screws to make repairs more feasible.

As for the the “$4,000 of Sonos that is now basically Junk!” comment, are you saying that none of your Sonos products work any more?

There is no one to repair it that I can find in my state. I don’t want sonos to repair it for nothing. I would like the ability to have someone fix it. If I can’t get a Sonos product fixed then my $4,000 sound system is useless when it needs repair. 

@Ebigham,

You could just take out ‘extended warranty’ insurance - it’s why insurance companies offer that type of protection to consumers.

Aiso there are some retailers that may offer between 2yrs and 6yrs extended warranty cover that is included in the purchase price of Sonos products. 

In some parts of the world there are 3rd-party Sonos product repairers, but that may depend on your country of residence. You can often check online if any are available to you. 

However, as you mention, Sonos may offer their customers a 30% discount in some instances, when device failures occur outside their normal warranty period, which I personally think is very generous and seems to be far more than any other manufacturer will provide to their customers.

So there are plenty of options and it’s why I’m happy to purchase their products - having been part of this community for some years, the amount of device failures mentioned are very few. in my experience, particularly when one considers the likely amount of products that Sonos sell worldwide each and every year.

I have purchased everything from Sonos itself. That only comes with a year warranty. I am not looking for anything free I am just looking for a repair. I love the product. That’s why I did my whole house. 

I have not been able to locate anyone who can or will repair it. If you know of someone who can repair it in the United States please let me know. I am more than happy to pay them to do the repair. 

If the repair is only $100 then 30% ($300) fora new move isn’t looking to good. 

It could easily require an hour or two to repair the unit, plus parts. Some of the cabinet parts could need replacement because the units were not designed to be disassembled and reassembled. Would your company charge a customer $100 for this?

It could easily require an hour or two to repair the unit, plus parts. Some of the cabinet parts could need replacement because the units were not designed to be disassembled and reassembled. Would your company charge a customer $100 for this?

Depending on what it was then yes. What if it took 15 minutes and it was a $10 part would your company charge a customer $300 for this? 

this is why I would want to send it somewhere they can give me an estimate and if it is feasible I would pay them to repair it. If not I would just buy new. But at least I would have that option. 

“Free” estimates are becoming less and less viable for everyone. The cost of a declined estimate must be passed on to everyone who elects to have their unit repaired. Part of the cost of an estimate is the lost productivity incurred while putting the unit aside, waiting for approval, then reassembling and shipping an un-repaired unit back to the customer. I’m seeing more and more servicers quoting minimum or flat rates for model XYZ. This minimizes the costs associated with estimating. If this estimate is out of the customer’s comfort area, the repair will not be attempted.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

If you do go down the 30% discount route, maybe wait until next month:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/2/23817225/sonos-move-2-speaker-features-specs-price

“Free” estimates are becoming less and less viable for everyone. The cost of a declined estimate must be passed on to everyone who elects to have their unit repaired. Part of the cost of an estimate is the lost productivity incurred while putting the unit aside, waiting for approval, then reassembling and shipping an un-repaired unit back to the customer. I’m seeing more and more servicers quoting minimum or flat rates for model XYZ. This minimizes the costs associated with estimating. If this estimate is out of the customer’s comfort area, the repair will not be attempted.

I know how a free estimate works. I have been doing contracting for years and I still do free estimates. So we shouldn’t have a repair business because it cost money to give an estimate? I believe if your car broke down after the warranty and you had to get another car instead of being able to get it repaired you might be singing a different tune! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

PSA!  Sonos does not repair products out of warranty! You have to buy new. They will give you a 30% discount. My $400 Move will cost me $300 to replace it. I have over $4,000 of Sonos that is now basically Junk! No one can repair Sonos. 

There is another, maybe more palatable, way of looking at this. Only part of your $4000+ Sonos system has failed, and to ‘repair’ your $4000+ system will potentially cost $300 by replacing one single part of the system that has failed.

There is another, maybe more palatable, way of looking at this. Only part of your $4000+ Sonos system has failed, and to ‘repair’ your $4000+ system will potentially cost $300 by replacing one single part of the system that has failed.

The rest of my system is still working but the thought of potentially having to replace it one by one scares me. I love their products. That’s why I invested in them. I just wished I could find a repair shop. 

I know how a free estimate works. I have been doing contracting for years and I still do free estimates. So we shouldn’t have a repair business because it cost money to give an estimate? I believe if your car broke down after the warranty and you had to get another car instead of being able to get it repaired you might be singing a different tune! 

There’s a significant difference between getting an estimate on your car repairs vs your Sonos speakers. Most car repairs don’t require destructive tear downs to complete, or really even much more than a visual inspection. Most car repairs are going to involve a couple hours of labor, and bring in significantly more profit than a single speaker repair.  Car repairs are a lot more common with a lot more repeat customers.  Your free car estimate is going to build customer loyalty, while your speaker repair is much more likely to be a ‘one and done’ scenario.  Most importantly, the cost of car repairs is likely to be a fraction of  the total cost of replacement.  The customer may choose a different mechanic, but they are not going to just toss the car in the trash and buy a new one like they would with a speaker...after they find out repair cost 50% of the price new.

I think a better analogy would be getting an estimate for an appliance repair.  In my area at least, it’s a $100 just to come out and take a look, whether they actually fix anything or not.  They obviously have the expense of traveling to my home, so it’s not the best analogy,  but they are charging for their time as well since the potential payoff from a repair is too low to risk giving out free estimates.

The rest of my system is still working but the thought of potentially having to replace it one by one scares me. I love their products. That’s why I invested in them. I just wished I could find a repair shop. 

It doesn’t sound scary to me.  The odds of the entire system failing at the same, without being caused by some act of God your insurance would cover, is astronomically low.   Yes, those odds will increase as your system ages, but it still won’t be all at one.  And the cost of repair is so high relative to the cost new, plus any new features and the significantly reduced chance of another repair required...seems pretty good to me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I did a quick Internet search ‘Sonos repair”, there are some third party repairers in UK and Europe, there must be some in the US?

Not that I’m aware of. It may have to do with, at a guess, Sonos being a US company, and we here in the states being insanely litigious….did I say that out loud?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

We have something called ‘right to repair’ over the pond:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_1794

Honestly, I’d imagine if it were profitable over here, lots of places would do it. Shoot, it’s possible a lot do, they just aren’t sanctioned by Sonos, and don’t advertise it. I’ve never needed to look in to it. 

Well…. there are some places. In the UK, a firm fixed my Play 5 Gen 1 by reuilding the amps. IIRC it cost £90 - much cheaper than a Sonos replacement.

But also doesn’t have the faster CPU and memory of later devices, so can’t run anything other than S1. It’s a choice, I’m not sure there is a wrong one, but something to consider.

I’m also a fan of recycling, I’ve always done so with old electronics, whenever possible, there is just a lot of stuff in electronics that just shouldn’t be buried somewhere. 

If anyone comes across a repair shop let me know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos now offers extended warranties on some devices, see this topic:

Sonos now offers extended warranties on some devices, see this topic:

Nice. 👍 Thanks for the info. and link @Stanley_4.