Sonos customer service unable to understand why my system cannot connect to my ISP Wifi

• 20 January 2024
  • 8 replies

After having spent about 4 hrs in limbo on the phone with various Sonos customer service staff about why it is that my equipment cannot connect to my Wifi, the 4th agent had the audacity to tell me that L2 is suggesting that I hard wire my equipment because that is the only way it will work in this configuration, the configuration being a simple Wifi setup in my new home. The audacity… So I spent upwards of 2000+ dollars on a Premium set of media equipment for its Wireless capabilities just to be told that its rendered useless now ? It’s not even 5 yrs old. How can this be ? 

At this point, I think I deserve money back for this, cause this is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous.

God help you if you ask for an escalation, still on the call waiting for an email or ticket system or manager or something !!! It’s been 20 mins already… Jeez…. Like seriously ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Are you here to rant about customer service or to get help?  If the latter, list the steps you have already taken.  Try to detailed, and skip the ranting, it helps nothing.  Once we know what was tried and didn't work, we'll know how to proceed.

Are you here to rant about customer service or to get help?  If the latter, list the steps you have already taken.  Try to detailed, and skip the ranting, it helps nothing.  Once we know what was tried and didn't work, we'll know how to proceed.

You’re not gonna tell me what I can rant about or not. Scold your kids, I am surely not one of them. I am here to speak on the shabby service. You are free to skurry onwards and skip my post.

I spent thousands of dollars on this equipment so if I wanna rant, I darn well have earned the right to do so. So back into your place you go. You are out of line completely !

@ppringle100,
I’m guessing this is what CS were suggesting (see below link)…that you use SonosNet STP (Spanning Tree) - a totally exclusive ‘mesh’ setup for your Sonos system. Often used if the router has difficulties with SSDP multicast broadcasts across the LAN subnet, or issues with IP address proxying.

It’s not a huge deal, in fact many experienced Sonos users choose to use that type of SonosNet setup. Often referred to as ‘wired mode’ because one device only need be wired to the router to act as the ‘root bridge’… see the difference here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

I spent thousands of dollars on this equipment so if I wanna rant, I darn well have earned the right to do so. So back into your place you go. You are out of line completely !

It was a simple question.  Rant away.  I just won't waste my time trying to help.  

@ppringle100,
I’m guessing this is what CS were suggesting (see below link)…that you use SonosNet STP (Spanning Tree) - a totally exclusive ‘mesh’ setup for your Sonos system. Often used if the router has difficulties with SSDP multicast broadcasts across the LAN subnet, or issues with IP address proxying.

It’s not a huge deal, in fact many experienced Sonos users choose to use that type of SonosNet setup. Often referred to as ‘wired mode’ because one device only need be wired to the router to act as the ‘root bridge’… see the difference here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

Perfect. This is a suggestion I can try. This was NOT what the support person told me. They suggested I hard wire all my speakers. Anyways thanks Ken I will give this a go.

It was a simple question.  Rant away.  I just won't waste my time trying to help.  

Bye bye

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Bye bye

@jgatie is trying to help you!  We are users that in our own time, try and help other users of Sonos devices.  Ranting at us helps about as much as ranting to your dog, if you have one..

All we ask is that people are clear about their issue, explain what they have tried already and then be polite with people who try to help.  If you follow these steps, you’ll get a lot of help from people across this forum.