No more SONOS for me

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

A well mastered 5.1 on Netflix etc does make a difference, I'd say for normal TV our surrounds are dead weigh.

We use our Playbar 5.1 setup for music a lot as well though and it really is a nice place to be with surrounds on "full music" mode. 

It will probably be HT-A9's for us for Atmos but I'm a tight Yorkshire man and just can't pull the trigger, probably will when the nights draw in.. Just irks me having to buy another Sub..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is it me, or has this drifted waaaay off topic? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Let’s here your thoughts on the volume issue raised in the OP to get it back on topic. Thanks for your service.

The OP question was answered and put to bed in the first few posts, and he isn't objecting to the subsequent more interesting conversation, so I suppose it is ok?!

Back in the day when I had wired surrounds, it was more of a distracting gimmick of them announcing themselves as a separate presence from time to time, than leaving you immersed in the centre of the action at least on a horizontal plane - if not the vertical thing that Atmos claims to also add. Perhaps things have changed since then, but most of the movies I watch do not need me to sit in the middle of what is happening in them.

If I had a bar based solution with surrounds, I would get myself more out of them by unbonding them and moving both to the front, in correct stereo positions as a separate stereo paired zone for just music play, that they would do better than what a bar does. Even if said surrounds were just Play 1/One units. Even with the sub left bonded to the bar.

Have already done that experiment but I like them as lamps though so they stay put 😀

Probably could move the sub as well but it has a plant on it so it stays 😂

Do not the lamps do a - I am here - thing rather than shed useful light? So I have read in reviews.

As to the Sub being redundant, that is down to the KEFs.

Have an amp, sub, symfonisk lamp surrounds, Kef R3 - watched Maverick and it sounded freaking phenomenal. Had night mode on still sounded great, think I need to check my ears 😀

Another question. Amp here is Sonos Amp driving the KEF placed flanking the TV? Sub is Sonos Sub? And this is a Sonos supported configuration with no lip sync issues?

If so, once the phantom centre channel is got to work properly via correct KEF placement, the only thing missing from a full blown 5.1 is centre speaker sound level control.

I would then any day choose this over any bar based solution for TV, while getting superior sound for just music. Atmos at home is mostly a gimmick.

And Sonos will never faff around with the sound profile for this, because there is really no call to. Sonos won’t touch the Sonos Amp to change its profile and nothing else then needs to be changed in this set up by Sonos because it is right from day 1.

Which leads me to think you've never actually heard it, and are speaking from an assumption.

It is of absolutely no interest to me, what you are led to think.