New version is terrible in every way

Userlevel 3

This is the worst application update I've ever seen. The interface is clunky, slow, and hard to use. So much real estate is given away to blobby, pointless chrome. Have their been any usability reviews done on this? So much functionality has been lost or broken: no alarms, no ability to long press a song in the Playlist to get info. This should never have been released in this state.

I imagine a lot of money was sunk into developing this, but don't fall for the sunk-cost fallacy. This is a terrible step backwards, it needs to be abandoned. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, it is quite colourful, however 😁

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Totally agree.

The new app is CRAP

Userlevel 2

I fully agree - this is the worst update of any product I ever experienced. I have had Sonos since the dedicated hand held controller. I also have Auralic and HEOS products. Sonos has made listening to music unusable. No add to end of queue? Sluggish response when selecting a song? No response to hitting a song or album? Slow search? Sometimes music library shows sometimes not? Did they not test this thing? After all the money I have sunk with these idiots. They should at least let us roll back the app. We have always accepted the limitations of 16/44.1 (way outdated but seriously undetectable), but to make their products even worse? I may dump it all…

Please provide a way to use the old version     We have 7 regular users of Sonos and no one understands this update.  

Userlevel 2

My first 5 minutes impression with the new app

• home screen is a waste of space; I do not want “my services” to occupy ¼ of the main screen; I rarely if ever need to touch that
  • Search is bizarre. I search for a *song*, I see a list of *artists* associated with that search term -- maybe ok if this made it easy to play that song by that artist, but the tap leads to just the page for that artists and their top songs, not connected at all to my original search term (instead I need to mess around in the “view more” view to get to what I actually searched for)
  • lag starting a song. After eventually finding the song I wanted, I tapped it, nothing happened, I tapped again, nothing happened, I tapped again, the song started playing… then stopped… then started… then stopped… then started… all about a second apart, starting 3 times because I’d tapped 3 times because I thought the app was not responding. Significant lag just starting a song is new to Sonos and completely not ok.
  • I have not yet managed to figure out how to edit the queue. Clear it, rearrange it or remove songs from it. Surely this must be possible? The view of the queue I have found has just the list of songs, icons to control shuffle and repeat behavior, and a 3-dot menu next to each song which lets me save it to my favorites. No other controls; tap and hold doesn’t seem to do anything; swipe sideways doesn’t seem to do anything. [Edit: I assumed this was a bug or me being dense and not being able to find it. Apparently this is by design? https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/new%2Dsonos%2Dapp%2Dadding%2Dto%2Dqueue%2D6892234 -- this was intentionally shipped without any queue management, either ability to add to queue, or edit the queue? Mind-boggling.]

I love music and I love Sonos and this is not working. Please roll this back, give us the app that worked well to control our expensive, beloved and previously well-working music systems, and rethink and test carefully before moving this direction again.

Userlevel 3

I have been a very happy Sonos customer since around 2011, but with this latest, unusable version I feel like I want my money back.

They completely left those who use a music library stored on a NAS out in the cold.

When I browse artists in my music library, there is no longer a way to jump between starting letters. Swiping to an artist that starts with “S” for example takes so long it is not something i ever want to do.

And the search function no longer searches in the music library on my NAS, only my streaming services.

So I no longer have a way to play the thousands of albums stored on my NAS. This is my main use case, that I have bought multiple generations of Sonos products for thousands of dollars to do, and that I have been able to do since 2011.

Unless they quickly add back these very basic and completely necessary features, they need to provide for a way to go back to a previous version.

If neither of this happens, I want someone to start a class action lawsuit, because it is absolutely not OK to remove basic and necessary functionality from a product that people paid good money for.

The new app is absolutely horrible! Absolutely nothing is intuitive about it. I tap on the volume line and it does nothing versus putting up each of the speakers to control them. I pick an Absolutely nothing is intuitive about it. I tap on the volume line and it does nothing versus putting up each of the speakers to control them. I pick an individual song and have to insert it into the queue instead of just tapping it and playing it. Please put an option up to have the older app. Thank goodness, my wife didn’t upgrade her phone. I use her phone to control the system. 

New Update…

Alarms feature????? 

Where's my wake up to Sonos playing my music?

Very disappointed having spent money on a system that used to be great and now is unusable!