New Spam

• 20 January 2018
  • 55 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Kumar. I am absolutely appalled that you should have had your wrist slapped for this. I got your meaning, and it would never have occurred to me to interpret your words as insulting, even if being a janitor were something to be ashamed of, which it isn't. You were using the term metaphorically to describe the cleaning up of spam on the site.

What I would like to know is, when did Sonos last contact you specifically to say thank you for the enormous contribution you have made to helping people on the forum over many years?
Here's a thought as well: there is no reason why real world janitors cannot be Sonos customers. And even if they are not, be quite entitled to be offended by the reprimand.
I have been reprimanded by Sonos for, I quote:
calling the community staff "EU based janitors" isn't cool.... please refrain from slinging around what could be considered an insult?
Unquote
I do not believe I have done that anywhere in this thread; what I have said is that Insided incompetency is having Sonos Staff do janitor level work, there is a subtle difference here from calling staff janitors. But in case any sensibilities have been offended by my words, this is an apology.

Do I need to point out the consequence of having to do this work is that response times to threads here shoot up and have remained high for weeks now with many threads going unanswered or ignored. With the question posed in my thread on the related subject of moderation etiquette also being ignored by Sonos till now.

I am now debating with myself if it is time to stop being a contributor to the site. Easy enough now to just dip in for personal support when needed in addition to creating incidents that can be tracked via email.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All of the spam posts have some form of +91 (India) phone number in the title. A good start would be create a regexp filter that caught variants of this, and flagged those posts/users for moderation.

There are so many things Insided could be doing that they aren't. It's almost as if the people working for insided have no idea how to use the tools they presumably have available to them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
All of the spam posts have some form of +91 (India) phone number in the title. A good start would be create a regexp filter that caught variants of this, and flagged those posts/users for moderation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Nearly 3 weeks later and the same type of Spam messages are still appearing every day! Is anything actually being done to prevent them or is it just a clear up when they appear routine?

It does call into question Sonos' ability to resist hacking of personal data etc when basic web bots can flood the Community forum with ease.
Indeed. And even the much celebrated EU based team hasn't reported for work to sweep the floor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And so it goes on :8 44 Spam post in the first 2 pages of recent activity and 6 real posts. The Spammers are winning this battle.
There is no pattern to the moderation. I have had short and long posts binned. It is completely random.
And.... apparently they start at 7PM Pacific. Just tagged my first one tonight.

I've not had any posts flagged today (yet), Kumar. And you know me, I tend to be verbose in my posts. I'm not a fan of the inSided's application of the filter, to be sure.
But I am definitely being targeted by Sonos with their random Insided powered shotgun. Another post just went into the black (red?!) hole of moderation. This is becoming a never ending story, Sonos, predating the start of this thread by more than a year.
But it's hard to believe that they're targeting Kumar.... :)

Nahh...they are after export markets:-). But keeping them out surely does not need a wall that needs a Trump to build it.
Yea, they start around 8PM Pacific, after the west coast team has left for the day, and before the EU team is up. My guess is (based on the posts) that they're from India, which would fit with the time frame. I do find it curious that they're spamming here, as I wouldn't think there's a lot of traffic from India that hits these boards. But it's hard to believe that they're targeting Kumar.... :)

My guess is they're paid on number of successful posts. But I'm not sure how you track that. I've never run a spamming organization, not sure how to measure success.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Pretty much a joke. Every morning there are dozens of spam posts, it's worse than ever now.
Erm...an individual at Sonos chose Insided...
I'd guess that's much more of an issue with an automated filter, not a choice made by an individual at Sonos. But it is annoying.
I notice that the tradition of allowing low intelligence spammers in while at the same time putting perfectly normal posts from high count posters on ice continues. While Sonos Staff does double duty as janitors and users are asked to flag spam so it can be swept away.

Onwards and upwards, Sonos and Insided!!! Way to go....
Why can't the clever Insided deal better with this using tech; it looks to be low intelligence level spam that ought to not need janitor level clean ups.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The spam is so bad this morning that I have given up on reading the forum for today.
Sorry for the mess, I just cleaned it out.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The spam is so bad this morning that I have given up on reading the forum for today.
Userlevel 5
That it is, mwiseman. 😞 We're working on it! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The spam is really bad tonight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Kumar. Yes, they do. Whilst they've improved upon it, it still doesn't always catch everything, sadly.
I thought Insided had built spam filters that did away the need for janitor level work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, guys. I did remove it as soon as I spotted it. I'm in Holland, so operating during UK hours. We're currently doing a huge sweep up of the boards. Wouldn't be possible without you flagging stuff like this, thanks very much.