Feature Request: Center Channel Volume and Tuning on Arc

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

Absolutely agree with this thread, just 'upgraded' from the LG atmos soundbar and surround speakers which had a present movie mode which ensured rich sound effects while delivering very clear dialogue and I could adjust the centre speakers, height speakers and the surround speakers. 

Considering the Sonos is three times the price, being able to adjust the centre speaker to have clear dialogue should be an absolute basic given!!! 

Sonos really needs to be sorted soon, it's clearly a while spread issue with a lot of people waiting for this. 

Adding a reply to see if they ever do anything. Maybe I’ll call the support and complain. My beam has better center channel isolation. You’d think a device over 2x as expensive would sound better.

That makes it sound as if your soundbar isn’t receiving a full Dolby Digital (separate 5.1) signal, but instead a stereo signal from your TV. The only way those Sonos modes work is on a true Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos signal. 

Badge

I’d also really like this feature. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Are the sound settings all OK

e.g. Switch loudness off for Arc, Audio Out settings on TV/Box?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

And Trueplay’ed. This cleans the sound up appreciably - gets rid of extraneous bass.

DFTT.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Subtitles might work for some folks but I often have the TV on just to hear the sound, ignoring and not even looking at the picture.

I’d even settle for a mute “right, left, sub and surround” button just so I could hear the voices.

Any news on centre speaker adjustment for the arc yet  ??? Love my arc with one sl surrounds but really struggle to hear dialogue without turn it right up. Got to the point now where i've given up using it for regular tv and reverted back to the tv speakers. Come on Sonos sort it out !!! 

Sonos never gives updates.  The most you get is they will forward your idea to the engineers.

Have to agree ...

Night Sound works great on my Sonos Arc. I use it all of the time when I want to keep the volume consistent.

i have this issue with night mode on, and speech enhancement turned on. when toggling them on and off there is no difference between the settings at all. this issue is not resolved and there needs to be away to change the level of each channel like you can on a cheap speaker system. why did i drop this much money on something that has ZERO customization...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What is your controller showing for the incoming sound format?

Userlevel 7

Night Sound and Speech Enhancement work with a stereo signal too. I use Night Sound every night when I watch the news and YouTube videos in stereo. YouTube ads are significantly louder with Night Sound turned off.

Interesting. Is it as much on the stereo feed as it is on a Dolby Digital feed? I’m not at home to do any testing.

Userlevel 7

Have to agree.night mode literally does nothing. Speach enhance nothing. Either i turn my volume way up, so that i have to scramble for my remote every couple minutes when i get blown out of my chair with how load the sound is, or i cant hear what anyone is saying. We need a way to adjust the sound like every other sound system out there. I spent a lot of money to have bare bones soind options that can only be adjusted if you are dumb enough to own an applephone.

Night Sound works great on my Sonos Arc. I use it all of the time when I want to keep the volume consistent.

Badge +1

Can we get the ability to tune and control the volume of center channel independently (like surround audio) in a 5.1 setting?  If we get this feature, we won’t have to turn the volume up just to hear the dialogues clearly. 

Bose app already offers such feature for their soundbars. 

DITTO!

Userlevel 1

Where is this at? Has anyone at SONOS provided any information or feedback?

Userlevel 7

Where is this at? Has anyone at SONOS provided any information or feedback?

Night Sound and Speech Enhancement can be enabled on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app.

Night Sound: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1948?language=en_US

Speech Enhancement: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4796?language=en_US

Just bought the arc from Costco… looking at returning this soon … dialogue is wayyy too soft… and yes, I did my due diligence 

Userlevel 7

@Anubisjeff This problem is not unresolved. The Night Sound and Speech Enhancement features do a great job fixing the problem.

Please add a separate centre channel volume adjustment slider Sonos! Many shows are mixed poorly with unbearably loud special effects so it would really help if we could up the volume of the centre channel to help raise the dialogue.

I expect that the speech enhancement mode does not work as well for Sonos as a direct volume adjustment slider would.

I don’t use bars for TV sound; indeed I use just two front HiFi speakers for TV sound with the centre channel being a phantom effect that works very well except for exactly this problem which can never be resolved because there isn't a centre speaker in my case, where I use a stereo amp.

My permanent fix for this may be useful till Sonos implements this for its bar type products - I use subtitles for English movies as well.

yes please center channel adjustment!! speech enhancement does something with the sound...surround movies have dialogue in the center channel anyway so would be great if you could raise or lower only the center channel!

I thought I was the only one that noticed that about speech enhancement. It makes surround sound less present or not as loud as it should be. Does something to the LEF too. But with DTS content it doesn’t happen 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Plenty have asked for this on the Playbar, nothing was ever done. Don't hold your breath..