Don't accept this app!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Dear Community,

Many Sonos customers are angry and unhappy at what Sonos has done in releasing a new app which removes a vast amount of functionality, much of it basic stuff, with just the promise that it will be re-added over forthcoming releases. I personally feel that Sonos has treated its customers with derision, and I’m angry and unhappy that this new app was released in such a poor state of development.

I have pursued my complaint, asking that the old app is made available again to iOS users whilst the new app is developed to an acceptable level which includes the last functionality.

I am asking the community to back this by:

1. Call customer service and demand that your complaint is escalated to the highest level. Don’t accept the “standard” reply that the 1st line customer reps have been given to respond to you … that the functionality will be added over forthcoming releases. Insist it is this is not acceptable and ask for your complaint to be escalated. Unfortunately, it can take over an hour to get your call answered due to the obvious popularity of the new app… but don’t allow call queue to put you off.
  1. Email the CEO at ceo@sonos.com. Yes there is a “form” response which you may get, but every complaint to the CEO is given a number internally.

The line I have taken is that “the product has become unfit for purpose as key features have been suddenly and unexpectedly removed, making the purpose for which it was purchased unachievable.” I have adopted this wording following a brief exploration of the potential for legal action should Sonos insist we wait for the functionality to be restored. You may use this or adopt your own approach, but remember calls are recorder (assuming you permit).

Do nothing and you are accepting that Sonos can ride rough-shod over its community.

29 replies

Userlevel 1

Email sent!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you JP…

C’mon community… show the strength of the community! Call. Email.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not sure about the functionalities that were removed, but the new app is just bad. Plain as that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I fully support this! 
The new app lacks functionality, is badly designed, not user friendly and seems to favor using a single react-code base that is more ‘cost efficient’ to develop for over actual basic user needs. Sonos seems to have forgotten how much it also is a software company.

This app feels like it was designed and developed by first year IT students who ran out of time. Its a virtual crime against the user base in more ways then can be expressed in one post. 
And this comes from someone who has been in the IT and UX industry for over 20 years. It breaks basic golden UX/UI designrules a first year should know. And thats without even mentioning the lack of the most basic functionality. This is not even an MVP. Its at most a prototype.. one that would be murdered in any user testing..

roll back the old app.. go back to the board and come back with this once its at least somewhat functioning...

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Email sent, thanks for the suggestion. Pasting it in below.

I've been a loyal Sonos customer and evangelist since the mid-aughts, but that ended yesterday when I was force upgraded to the latest version of the Sonos app. The new version of your app is an embarrassment to Sonos and an insult to your customers. I am shocked anyone at the company considered it worthy of release.

Simply put, you have removed some of the most basic functions that made customers such as I buy your hardware in the first place. Most egregiously: we can no longer search our local libraries, edit our queues, or even simply add more songs to what's currently playing. I cannot imagine any rationale that would lead a company to believe that degrading the user experience in this way is necessary -- especially without offering customers any way to roll back to a previous version of the app.

In addition to being a (formerly) satisfied customer, I've been a product manager and executive focused on music tech at companies such as Rhapsody, RealNetworks and Google, so I feel I have some relevant experience when I state that releasing this app, in this manner, is product development malpractice. I'd fire anyone on my staff who recommended releasing an app in a state like this, and then would likely resign in shame at the realization I'd created an environment where anyone on that staff could ever think such a course of action were permissible.

Please roll the app back until it can once again support the most basic music queuing actions that the kinds of music fans who spend thousands of dollars on stereo components consider fundamental requirements of any streaming system. 

And consider apologizing to your customers, as well. I have never seen a disaster quite this inexplicable in 25 years in this business.

Thank you for listening.

Userlevel 3

Expecting an Upgrade 

Receiving a Downgrade

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I've been a loyal Sonos customer and evangelist since the mid-aughts, but that ended yesterday when I was force upgraded to the latest version of the Sonos app. The new version of your app is an embarrassment to Sonos and an insult to your customers. I am shocked anyone at the company considered it worthy of release.

Simply put, you have removed some of the most basic functions that made customers such as I buy your hardware in the first place. Most egregiously: we can no longer search our local libraries, edit our queues, or even simply add more songs to what's currently playing. I cannot imagine any rationale that would lead a company to believe that degrading the user experience in this way is necessary -- especially without offering customers any way to roll back to a previous version of the app.

In addition to being a (formerly) satisfied customer, I've been a product manager and executive focused on music tech at companies such as Rhapsody, RealNetworks and Google, so I feel I have some relevant experience when I state that releasing this app, in this manner, is product development malpractice. I'd fire anyone on my staff who recommended releasing an app in a state like this, and then would likely resign in shame at the realization I'd created an environment where anyone on that staff could ever think such a course of action were permissible.

Please roll the app back until it can once again support the most basic music queuing actions that the kinds of music fans who spend thousands of dollars on stereo components consider fundamental requirements of any streaming system. 

And consider apologizing to your customers, as well. I have never seen a disaster quite this inexplicable in 25 years in this business.

Thank you for listening.

Total agree. Don’t be treated like this. Email the CEO at ceo@sonos.com.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

ceo@sonos.com

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you for listening.

Total agree. Don’t be treated like this. Email the CEO at ceo@sonos.com.

Re-reading this response from Tbq22 I realise it is very well put. Really does sum up things well. I too have work in quality control of software (even writing a specification adopted by large organisations and a government) so the response resonated perfectly with me. Thank you for emailing the CEO Tbq22. Others should do the same! It doesn’t matter of you don’t get anything back. Add to the numbers of complainants.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I wrote yesterday and today got a reply from support with a story this ** is needed due to a changing streaming landscape. They really are not taking this serious or do not know how to respond anymore. Double irony is of course the old app worked better with streaming services then the new one..

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear Community,

Many Sonos customers are angry and unhappy at what Sonos has done in releasing a new app which removes a vast amount of functionality, much of it basic stuff, with just the promise that it will be re-added over forthcoming releases. I personally feel that Sonos has treated its customers with derision, and I’m angry and unhappy that this new app was released in such a poor state of development.

I have pursued my complaint, asking that the old app is made available again to iOS users whilst the new app is developed to an acceptable level which includes the last functionality.

1. Call customer service and demand that your complaint is escalated to the highest level. Don’t accept the “standard” reply that the 1st line customer reps have been given to respond to you … that the functionality will be added over forthcoming releases. Insist it is this is not acceptable and ask for your complaint to be escalated. Unfortunately, it can take over an hour to get your call answered due to the obvious popularity of the new app… but don’t allow call queue to put you off.
  1. Email the CEO at ceo@sonos.com. Yes there is a “form” response which you may get, but every complaint to the CEO is given a number internally.

The line I have taken is that “the product has become unfit for purpose as key features have been suddenly and unexpectedly removed, making the purpose for which it was purchased unachievable.” I have adopted this wording following a brief exploration of the potential for legal action should Sonos insist we wait for the functionality to be restored. You may use this or adopt your own approach, but remember calls are recorder (assuming you permit).

Do nothing and you are accepting that Sonos can ride rough-shod over its community.

Good call. Have actioned by calling and emailing. Also shared link to this. Need to spread your note far and wide to Sonos users.

Userlevel 4
Badge

ceo@sonos.com

Really, that’s Patrick’s email? That’s nearly as embarrassing as the app he dropped on Tuesday.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear Community,

Good call. Have actioned by calling and emailing. Also shared link to this. Need to spread your note far and wide to Sonos users.

Also otherSonos email addresses here: https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-290640&c=Sonos-CEO 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 3
Badge

ceo@sonos.com

Really, that’s Patrick’s email? That’s nearly as embarrassing as the app he dropped on Tuesday.

see my comment - link to CEO’s email address

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Well, honestly I am not sure this is the right course of action.

Not that I do not share the outrage, but I do not think that Sonos, as a company, cares that much about a few hundreds e-mails and clogged support lines. What they care more about is their public image and reputation, as the board and shareholders are very sensitive to this.

So I think it will be more effective to:

• Review bomb the app with 1-star rating (which should happen quite naturally in any case)
  • Try to have a tech news site pickup the story about this catastrophic update (you can contact the writers)
  • This is likely to cause social media to relay the information, creating an uncomfortable echo chamber for Sonos

I don’t think they will come out of the wood without this kind of action…

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes, the email may not be worth much. I sent one anyway. I also dropped a one-star review on the play store.

But I also have three recent upgrade purchases that are still returnable, and they are going back.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Yes of course, I don’t want to discourage you from sending e-mails, I was just pointing out that there are other courses of action that might be more effective.

Userlevel 1

Email sent as below …

Dear Sonos CEO,

I have owned Sonos products since they were first released into the UK market in the early 2000s, and over the years I have been thrilled with the system. I have upgraded continuously and made the move from dedicated controllers to the iOS and Android version of the apps.

The app has never been the strongest part of the Sonos ecosystem, but it has always been just about good enough. I was happy to trade the quality of the app for ease of use, integration and sound quality.

Yesterday I was forced upgraded to the latest version of the app. I must say this new version is awful. Just plain bad. Initially I thought it was just the latest example of poor UI / UX design, but in hunting for the sleep timer and alarm function it quickly became apparent that certain functionality that I've come to rely on is now entirely missing and slated for a "future" release. As a loyal customer who has spent thousands of GBPs on Sonos products, and advocated that family and friends do the same, I am disappointed and confused as to how you could let this happen.

There was a time when Sonos was the peerless example of multi-room, wireless streaming. I can honestly say that with this latest release I am losing my faith in your brand.

Please consider making the prior version of the app available to your existing customers so we cAn return to a stable and fully functional app whilst your product team irons out the issues in the latest release.

Please also consider apologising to your customers for letting this happen

Thank you for listening.

Userlevel 4

Just sent this to the CEO

Dear Mr Spence,

I am certain that I am one of may messages you have received today and I think we are all demanding the same thing - Sonos needs to immediately roll back to the previous version of the app on all platforms.

Today, I struggled with so many errors, missing functions and a general lack of usability that I gave up listening to music while I worked and joined the community forum specifically to voice my disappointment at this catastrophic failure of a release.

Did nobody test the app? Was it some corporate deadline you had to meet? Regardless, you have left a global community wondering what their money is invested in when the very expensive units were purchased.

Please ensure that you are putting your customers first and revert back to the functioning app while your teams start over.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I think this has become another company that releases their software whenever the marketing department demands it, whether or not QA and software development feel that it’s ready for release.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Mail send.

Userlevel 2

eMail sent, Play Store feedback 1 left, what else can we do ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I've tried to summarize my concerns into a single question for the upcoming AMA Sonos flaks will be conducting. I'll paste it in below -- if this matches what you want to hear, please upvote it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/Q92N5xpya0

Prior to this release, Sonos assured customers all existing functionality would remain (the exact words were, "Your products, features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved").

Since that commitment was very obviously NOT honored, I just want to hear someone from Sonos explain, as honestly as possible with a minimum of corporate/marketing jargon, why they deemed it necessary to release this app BEFORE it included numerous features existing customers who've spent thousands of dollars on their hardware consider necessary to making use of that hardware (for me, those are queue editing, play next functionality, and local library search).

The suggestion that it took "courage" to release this app in this state was frankly insulting, so please treat us with respect by answering truthfully. Why couldn't the release wait until it was much closer to parity with existing functionality? Why should any of us believe you have any intention of adding missing functions back based on your actions so far? Are there missing functions you have already determined will no longer be supported, and if so, which ones and why?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

What else can we do? I’ll tell you what old Patrick better be paying attention. Whatever the financial and sales projections, and forward looking statements were made on Tuesday during the conference call, they better start telling investors (probably publicly) that those projections need to be revised downward dramatically. This cluster was just starting Tuesday (May 7th) and the outrage probably is not baked into the projections. If Patrick does not publicly state that there has been a material change since the App was released, he is looking at a SEC investigation and class actions on behalf of any investors.

That will get the Boards attention! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

What else can we do? I’ll tell you what old Patrick better be paying attention. Whatever the financial and sales projections, and forward looking statements were made on Tuesday during the conference call, they better start telling investors (probably publicly) that those projections need to be revised downward dramatically. This cluster was just starting Tuesday (May 7th) and the outrage probably is not baked into the projections. If Patrick does not publicly state that there has been a material change since the App was released, he is looking at a SEC investigation and class actions on behalf of any investors.

That will get the Boards attention! 

I’m gonna laugh myself silly if they have to file an 8K because of this horrendously botched release