Does not function as advertised, a huge waste of my time

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

@buzz 

As far as I know, I am given only the choice of Orbi for WI-fi on phone, computers, etc.

Is there a special way to power down the Move and the Roam.  I just unplug them.  I also turn off the power strip that supplies the amp.  Should I do something else first?

You are correct, I am no longer in the townhouse and everything there is without power until I return.

Thanks for further info. It is good if you are only seeing Orbi wifi. It does make me wonder if the Amp would be better plugged into main Orbi rather than Arris, but there is some evidence that this is OK as it is.

The physical location and proximity of the various bits of equipment is the most likely explanation for your problems.

We await your return.…

Seems odd. I’ve been a customer of Sonos since about 2009, and support at least three homes including my own. Never had a significant issue. Although at times, I’ve fought with wifi concerns, due to bad microwaves, and bad neighbors, but none of that was Sonos’ fault. A networked device does need a good network to sit on, certainly. It’s not the same as the ancient “amplifier with wired speakers” by any stretch.  

wmbos,

I’ve had SONOS since 2005. Believe me, I have a short tolerance too. if I had constant issues with my system, we would not be discussing anything here.

Are you shutting down your router, SONOS, and other smart home items as you leave this house for a period? These items are designed to be powered 24/7 and frequent shutdowns can cause issues. I’m not suggesting that you need to waste power by not shutting down, but there are some simple tricks that will keep all of these issues hidden under the carpet. Let us know and we can suggest some tricks after we get to know the scope of your smart home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Maybe assign all the speakers a static IP address and leave the router switched on?. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@wmbos Without knowing anything about you set ups (wifi devices, different or the same Sonos accounts etc.) there really isn’t any clue in your post to clarify if your problem really is Sonos related, of that it stems from your won environment.

Hi.  It is disappointing that your contacts with Sonos Support have not led to a more permanent solution to your problems.  So I can understand your frustration.  But I am also a long-term Sonos user who has never had a serious problem , so I know the kit works.  

There are plenty of people on here who will likely be able to help if you wish to engage, and tell us more about what type of router and network you have, if you have any extenders or access points, what Sonos products you have and whether they are all wireless, or one or more devices are connected by Ethernet.

Edit: I notice from your profile that you mention only the Roam and Move.  Do you have any non-portable Sonos speakers?