Skip to main content

Class Action Lawsuit re New USELESS App Class Action Lawsuit

Whomever is interested in joining a class action lawsuit

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

116 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Im in. I've wasted at least $10,000 on stuff that's been rendered nearly inoperable after the app updates. The people defending Sonos are blowing my mind.

Queues empty. Volumes go to zero randomly. "Sorry something went wrong" on almost all my libraries. Functionality removed. Plex says I have no server. Tidal only plays one track in a loop for it's "radio". Spotify can't find any of my playlists. NAS doesn't work. Error after error after error. Need to restart the app almost every time I open it because it suddenly says I have no devices.

And that's just Tuesday.

Have you called a lawyer?

Two. 

I’m curious as to what they both said?

Userlevel 1

I just got finished with Sonos 2nd level support, they got me working again.  IF your issue is that you cannot connect to a Music library on a disk connected to a Mac, then you can try this.

1. Go to System Settings → Sharing and turn on File Sharing if it isn’t already on.
  2. Get info on your Music library folder (in my case an “iTunes” folder).  Check the shared folder box if it is not checked already. 
  3. Open System Settings → Wi-Fi → Details → WINS.  Write down your NetBIOS name.
  4. In Sonos choose Manage → Music Library Settings → Music Library → +
  5. Choose the 3rd option “Networked device” NOT the 2nd “Another folder...” as #2 does NOT work at all.
  6. Type in the name “//NetBIOS/iTunes” where “NetBIOS” is what you wrote down earlier and “iTunes” is the name of your shared music folder.  Just the folder name, not the full path.
  7. Wait while the library indexes.  When you are done it should work.

Good luck!  This worked for me.  Why they offer a button (step 5) that does not work is unknown to me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Sonos hardware has become unstable.

Cannot add the speakers to the network even after a.system reset.

This release of app and firmware is crap.

Cannot lose my time anymore on this.

Sonos take a look

Badge

I cannot play music.  so i have a sytem unfit for purpose after an automatic update that failed.

i have one app that can detect a speaker which tells me i need to downgrade the app.  

it is not that this stage possible to downgrade the app

waiting for updates

suspect updates regarding downgrading will be last in the list of priorities given this company are so focused on upgrading

I have not lost as much as some people but this it is important to resist these new norms, and yes there should be a case if nothing else other than to set precedent on issues of corporate gaslighting on rendering products unfit for purpose via updates.  

Userlevel 1

I did work with Sonos support and did get it to recognize the library on my Mac.  The video below gives details.  This was before the July update.  After the July update my Port is not working, but my Sonos speaker continues to work.  This software is a mess.  If you are having trouble connecting your library on a Mac, give this a try.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In response to the folks who insist that we just wait for updates in order to get back to the “old” way of Sonos. I’m currently updating quite a few apps thru the app store (on an iPad) and as most of the apps have successfully updated, there is one that has stopped mid-update and has remained there for going on a half-hour now. Wanna guess which one that is? Sonos can’t even get that right! BTW, I was hoping that their update would’ve taken care of this new thing (joining other probs) that happens where the radio station plays commercials on an endless loop instead of the music I’ve come to expect. What a waste of money and time...

Userlevel 1
Badge

My whole experience with this current app release is dreadful.

It's as if Ford said, "Hey guys, we're going to redesign one of our vehicles completely from scratch." And then launched it with square wheels and no windows.

"Oh, you don't like that? Why on Earth not? It's new. It's exciting. It's an upgrade."

"Well, we can't drive anywhere. And even if we could we wouldn't be able to see where we're going."

"Yeah, but it's available in three shades of pink."

"What good is that? Can we just go back to round wheels and windows? You know, they kinda worked OK most of the time."

"Well, huh, some people just don't like improvements I guess. We'll have to put together a whole update revision program if you really want these old-fashioned things back again. It's gonna take us ages. We'll introduce replacement windows one at a time over the next 6 months."

Etc etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

My whole experience with this current app release is dreadful.

It's as if Ford said, "Hey guys, we're going to redesign one of our vehicles completely from scratch." And then launched it with square wheels and no windows.

"Oh, you don't like that? Why on Earth not? It's new. It's exciting. It's an upgrade."

"Well, we can't drive anywhere. And even if we could we wouldn't be able to see where we're going."

"Yeah, but it's available in three shades of pink."

"What good is that? Can we just go back to round wheels and windows? You know, they kinda worked OK most of the time."

"Well, huh, some people just don't like improvements I guess. We'll have to put together a whole update revision program if you really want these old-fashioned things back again. It's gonna take us ages. We'll introduce replacement windows one at a time over the next 6 months."

Etc etc

I think you’re being a bit unfair on Sonos. Already, they’ve upgraded the square wheels to oval, and I’m sure the round ones will return soon 😜

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

😂😂 I just love this exchange! It’s sooo true!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Great analogy and exchange. Since the downgrade, we  still cannot EDIT QUEUE, which was a key feature of the Sonos experience for many customers. At least we have this forum to vent.... I hope Sonos monitors this forum routinely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Great analogy and exchange. Since the downgrade, we  still cannot EDIT QUEUE, which was a key feature of the Sonos experience for many customers. At least we have this forum to vent.... I hope Sonos monitors this forum routinely.

It’s now Sept/Oct for queue management, as they have said.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks I hadn't seen that news.... glad to know that it's coming back! 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I find it interesting to find out the things different people considered key features and how their usage is different to mine.

I don’t think I’ve ever used the edit queue, even when I first started with Sonos back in 2007. Add to queue, play next all the time, but edit queue not that I recall.

My listening habits are mostly album based, so using Add to for adding a bunch of albums to a queue to leave running for hours I would use all the time. Occasionally I might just add individual tracks to to the end of the current queue.

Similarly I have never used the playlist feature.

I think my biggest surprise after the initial app upgrade was seeing just how many people used the alarm. It wasn’t something I was consciously aware the app supported. I have an external home automation running morning wakeup routines in my home and it would start playback of music on Sonos speakers amongst triggering other things like blinds partially opening around the home.

The breadth of different functions, ease of use and integrations that were useful to me is what I considered made the price premium of Sonos worth it over competitors.

I’d love to see some of the functional data sonos collect, anonymised and published to show usage of the different functionality across users.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yes, I was very surprised to see how many people use the alarm, since I've NEVER used it.

Between me and my wife, we have about 20 playlists across 3 sources (YouTube Music, Napster, and Sonos). I've given up on using my personal digital PC library as a music source, but would enjoy getting access to that music again someday (tracks from about 300 CDs).

To get the "personalized radio" effect, I shuffle single or multiple playlists and any new song additions, view the first page or two of songs in the queue, delete any that I don't want to hear during that session (depending on mood, audience, etc.), and/or rearrange the order if, for instance, I see 2 songs from the same artist in a row. I cultivate my listening sessions nearly 100% of the time at least twice a day (I'm retired 😊).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Alarm has been my main function around here.
In the early 70s, I used to listen to a freeform radio show
that would broadcast from 8PM to 1AM, Mon-Fri, and
would feature special segments - usually half-hour or
hour-long ones - that featured various special audio “subjects.”
Having the SONOS setup, I could create different folders
for each day to recreate the shows very close to the way
that I used to listen to them turned down low so that nobody
at home knew that I wasn’t getting enough sleep for school
the next day. 😄

Which reminds me of my complaint that the volume control
seems to drop off below the number 3 … so if it was still too loud
and kept your partner awake at night, you couldn’t lower it below
the “3” mark without it going silent completely.