Boost is officially dead (RIP)

• 29 November 2023
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Didn’t see this posted anywhere else, but the Boost is officially dead. It has shuffled off its mortal coil, it is nailed to the perch, etc.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/boost-end-of-sale

It did a fine job for nine years, but SonosNet is clearly getting deprecated and some will have to live with crappy home routers not working correctly causing speakers to vanish from the app randomly.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Maybe my four Boosts, now decommissioned and taking up valuable cupboard space, will become collectors’ items.

Userlevel 7

Surprised the Boost isn’t (yet) included in the Upgrade Programme considering the Bridge is an eligible product.

I’m still using a BOOST, and have one squirreled away. Perhaps I should consider a new router at this point ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hanging on to SonosNet and several wired Sonos here, so my Boost is in a box. Not looking forward to having to fiddle my WiFi setup if I get a new Sonos that doesn’t do SonosNet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Boost serves me well. Not sure this is a good idea.

Full circle - from Sonosnet being mandatory to its departure. I still run Sonos with a Boost wired to the router even as all but one zone is wired back to the network. And still have two Bridges in perfect working order as back ups, updated to the latest S1 version.

The Boost serves me well. Not sure this is a good idea.

Meh. As long as SonosNet is created by wiring a speaker, it may be inconvenient for me, but not a bad idea. Tech evolves, I need to try to evolve with it. I’m pleased that newer routers are able to handle things better than back in the day.

It will likely involve some care of speaker placement and wiring, or just biting the bullet and letting everything sit on my WiFi. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’ve tried using Sonosnet from my Beam, but that is located in a room that is not in the center of my home, further away from the One in the kitchen. I saw a clear improvement in reception on the One in the kitchen adding the Boost in a central location in my home, especially since when cooking I find myself exactly between Beam and One, which clearly inhibited reception on the One.

I must say I’ve never tried using wifi for Sonos though. Already owning a Boost and reading a lot of posts here from people having wifi problems prevented me from trying it. For wifi I use a TP-link Deco system with (mostly) cabled connections between wifi points.

Full circle - from Sonosnet being mandatory to its departure.

Not so much mandatory as essential. In the early days WiFi was inadequate. Today it needn’t be.

Semantics perhaps, but as I recall back in the day there was no Wifi mode; it was brought in as a check the box option more for marketing than anything else to counter the “Sonos needs one wire back to the router so it really isn't wireless” negative marketing by the competition. For people like me that still use a 2011 router that works as it did when new, combined with TP link access points that are wired back to it, and see no need then for a mesh WiFi, Boost is a nice to have even today. To add here re the access points, once DHCP is disabled on the access points, Sonos is fine in their presence.

I (still) do wonder why there is not going to be 802.11ac, or 802.11ax, version of SonosNet that caters for a faster MiMo 2.4Ghz/5Ghz combined signal. I appreciate that’s what mesh wireless networks are nowadays, but it would still be nice to have an all ‘exclusive’ in-built Sonos network, rather than a setup being intermingled with other network traffic. 

Although…

Whenever I tested the speed of SonosNet v2 over a remote wired/wireless connection I only ever seemed to get a miserly 12 MB/s download speed (give or take), but these days with my WiFi mesh Hubs I’m getting 500+ MB/s over a wireless link to the nearby Hub and that’s I guess why I’ve now got all devices running on the WiFi mesh network, instead of SonosNet.

Had Sonos though produced a new Boost that was perhaps in line with that kind of network capability (notwithstanding that the hardware Ethernet ports are only 10/100), I might have been tempted to go that route to keep the connections exclusive to the Home audio setup.

Anyhow, I’m not complaining here, as everything network-wise does work well on our current mesh setup. 

Also we are now seeing WiFi 6E stepping into the light  ….and undoubtedly WiFi-7 is really just around that corner.

It’s just never ending and long may these things continue to advance.

One advantage of Sonosnet is that it can be used to invoke the matrix that is still useful for troubleshooting - I know that Boost is not essential for that, but if any S1/S2 update is going to make the Boost/Bridge a brick, one expects prominent warnings somewhere so one can decide to skip the latest greatest if Boost is more valuable. 

Does Bridge even work on the latest S2?

One advantage of Sonosnet is that it can be used to invoke the matrix that is still useful for troubleshooting - I know that Boost is not essential for that, but if any S1/S2 update is going to make the Boost/Bridge a brick, one expects prominent warnings somewhere so one can decide to skip the latest greatest if Boost is more valuable. 

Does Bridge even work on the latest S2?

No, the Bridge doesn’t work on S2 …and obviously the Roam/SL, Move/Move 2, Era 100, Era 300 and I think one, or two, other products (not sure🤔?) will work with the matrix either.. it’s all changes that are creeping into S2. 

One advantage of Sonosnet is that it can be used to invoke the matrix that is still useful for troubleshooting

The matrix -- or more accurately the RF and STP related data that underpins it -- is a corollary of needing to invent a wheel -- a dedicated extensible mesh -- at the time. That wheel no longer needs to be reinvented: it can outsourced to a WiFi mesh, at much higher bandwidths.

Sonos devices can simply be client stations, with app-based reporting of BSSID and RSSI substituting for the SonosNet matrix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d love an option to be able to wire one or more Sonos to Ethernet but not create the SonosNet, allowing all other, unwired, Sonos to connect to the WiFi instead.

Second choice would be an option on each Sonos to decline a SonosNet connection and prefer WiFi.

Give us the best of both worlds.

Why not just turn off the radio on the devices you wire? The one place that would be problematic is on a soundbar with subs/surrounds and any bonded subs, I guess. But I think it would get you 90% of the way there. 

Why not just turn off the radio on the devices you wire?

Is that all that is needed to force the unwired units into WiFi mode? Would the unwired units be visible to the wired units with their radios off?

If all ‘wired’ units have their radios turned off, wouldn’t that kill any potential SonosNet, and force any non-wired speakers into WiFi mode? 

Oh, sorry, missed the second half/question.

Wouldn’t they all be still part of the Sonos system, and reporting back to the router, either by WiFi or by cable? 

Please correct me if I’m not thinking this through properly. 

I have a similar set up - 4 zones wired, radios off. One zone unwired. The one unwired zone cannot be seen on the Sonos Controller. Only the wired zones can be seen in the Matrix. That is why I use the wired Boost as a way to link up all 5 zones if needed.

If I could change things by doing something else in my configuration that allows the unwired zone to be seen by the controller, I would love to know! Other than turning radios on in the wired zones, that is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Wouldn't adding your WiFi details to the system achieve that? Same as how Roam, Move, Era speakers etc. join the same system?

Wouldn't adding your WiFi details to the system achieve that? Same as how Roam, Move, Era speakers etc. join the same system?

Exactly. If valid WiFi details are configured into the system then any SonosNet-compatible device unable to connect to SonosNet will use WiFi instead. It used to be called “mixed mode”.

So what must be happening in my case, is that the one wireless zone is defaulting to auto island mode when nothing of Sonos with its radio on is wired to the network. If I wanted mixed mode, all I have to do is add my Wifi details via the app? In what part of the app?

And once that is done, all zones - wired with radios off, and wireless with radio on will be seen on the controller and could even be grouped to play together?

So what must be happening in my case, is that the one wireless zone is defaulting to auto island mode when nothing of Sonos with its radio on is wired to the network. If I wanted mixed mode, all I have to do is add my Wifi details via the app? In what part of the app?

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

And once that is done, all zones - wired with radios off, and wireless with radio on will be seen on the controller and could even be grouped to play together?

Yes, it’s “mixed mode”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sadly here I have three wired Sonos soundbars and a wired One SL so turning off the radios isn’t an option for the soundbars and would be pointless for the One SL.

Just trying to keep WiFi traffic to a minimum by keeping the busiest Sonos wired. That is really nice to have as an option when our WiFi gets too overloaded to work well.