Answered

All Sonos products will continue to work past May

• 23 January 2020
  • 52 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

52 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

What’s seems different is this:

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

What I hope this means is that the split system can still function as one system in terms of streaming the same music. In essence, sharing the least common denominator of features. If they do that, then honestly, I will be happy.

If it was just the same plan as before, it wouldn’t require additional engineering.

Userlevel 1

I’m not sure what is different about today’s message, other than tone. They will still require splitting legacy and newer products into two different systems. That means no whole house system. They will still offer a modest discount on new speakers in exchange for bricking older ones. Today’s email seems like a crisis management response that doesn’t really address the bigger issues. Have they attempted to make older and newer products work together, even if they have a slightly different code base? Or are they simply not going to put the money into trying? At this point I will continue using the 7 Sonos speakers I have, but I will not be buying more, nor will I be recommending Sonos to friends.