Answered

Why is Sonos discontinuing support for iOS devices?

Userlevel 1
Disappointed when I received this message when starting the app to play from my iPad. Not interested in having to pay for a service to stream from my music collection. What’s driving this decision? Note - creating an incentive for me to search for another music solution in my home. Can’t begin to describe how unhappy I am. Have been so happy with Sonos and bragged about the system to friends. That sounds like I’ll have to do a 180. Any one else feeling the same?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 June 2019, 19:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Stuart I think nik can speak for himself
and you have made over 4000 replies to posts I could ask you if you work for sonos if you don't you should .

Also maybe I don't want to be forced to update my phones or ipads as well
because that causes problems with other pieces of equipment that I own .

Nik I already know how I'm going to handle it .
Maybe my plan to just hook a wifi mirroring device to my TV will help someone as well .

1 more thing usually people who call people names like childish on the internet are people that wouldn't
have the guts to do it face to face .

I am not responding anymore on this topic .

My opinions are mine
Yours are yours
Your opinion is yours, and unfortunately it is wrong in this case. Plus, you have other equipment that you don’t update because it causes problems... did you rail against those companies also? Again, the solution is easy... turn off automatic updates for Sonos on your phone like you probably did with your other gear. But bear in mind this is an Apple decision and that is why the feature is going away.
Userlevel 2
Badge
You are missing the point
I bought this system because it worked with ios
Now sonos is taking that away
What else will they take away in future ?
And yes I did rail against those company's and will only buy what I absolutely need to in the future from them .
I think your opinion is wrong but I'm not jumping down your neck for having it.
Fine by me if you just want to lay there and take it.
What I'm saying is all these company's should get there 💩 together .

And turning off your updates doesn't help anything as you can't get into the menus to change your settings unless you upgrade .
YOU HAVE NO CHOICE

Now I am completely done with this forum as all some people want to do is argue
Sonos has done this people don't like it the are not going to fix it
I'm going to spend some cash to fix it so I can use it till they do something else to it .
Mirroring wifi dongle hooked to my TV will do the trick .
I am not disagreeing with you, but your displeasure is misplaced. Sonos is taking it away because Apple is forcing them to. It isn’t by choice.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm not happy with apple either if I didn't need there equipment for work
I would not own any of it .
Sonos uses there equipment as a controller and recommends using apple air 2
Their stated reason for making this change is because apple ios is unreliable .
I think they are in the same camp .
again just my opinion .

I loved this stuff for the first few years I had it
bought it because of it ease of use and ios friendly .
now definitely out as I have ranted enough to last me till the next decade
Badge
This announcement thread should answer your questions about why the change is occurring.

Sorry but no, it doesn't really answer anything. All it tells me is that Sonos can't be bothered doing the hard work of making their app useable for a large number of people and that they have been caught out by Apple. But that is not our problem - it's Sonos's problem. I'm selling my speakers for whatever I can get. Missold and a total waste of money. Probably better off with 4 Sony bluetooth speakers for the money. The sound is not as good but you can play whatever you feel like from your phone (including phonecalls, videos from the phone, etc., which Sonos never could). Pathetic for a supposedly premium product. Think about it this way, Sonos,if you're spending half your time explaining what customers need to do to get your product to work, you messed up.
Good luck with your replacement product. I'm sure you will be quite happy with Bluetooth speakers.
Badge
Good luck with your replacement product. I'm sure you will be quite happy with Bluetooth speakers.

I love that you felt you had to say this. How anyone can have this kind of allegiance to a corporation beats me.

This announcement thread should answer your questions about why the change is occurring.Sorry but no, it doesn't really answer anything. All it tells me is that Sonos can't be bothered doing the hard work of making their app useable for a large number of people and that they have been caught out by Apple.

You made a lot of assumptions/generalities with that statement?

"Can't be bothered" - The were actually working trying to fix the issue for a year prior to this decision.

"doing the hard work " - So you're assuming that hard work can eventually fix the issue?

"large number of people" - In total numbers? Percentage of Sonos users? Do you know what either of these numbers are?

"been caught out by Apple" - What does that mean?

But that is not our problem - it's Sonos's problem.

It's both. Sonos has to deal with bad customer PR and such while you have to deal wiith finding another way to get your music.

I'm selling my speakers for whatever I can get. Missold and a total waste of money. Probably better off with 4 Sony bluetooth speakers for the money. The sound is not as good but you can play whatever you feel like from your phone (including phonecalls, videos from the phone, etc., which Sonos never could). Pathetic for a supposedly premium product. Think about it this way, Sonos,if you're spending half your time explaining what customers need to do to get your product to work, you messed up.

How do you know Sonos is spending half the time explaining things to customers?

Good luck with your replacement product. I'm sure you will be quite happy with Bluetooth speakers.I love that you felt you had to say this. How anyone can have this kind of allegiance to a corporation beats me.

What else am I supposed to say? You've made your mind up that Sonos is not for you and stated you will buy Sony Bluetooth speakers. There are horses for courses, and Sonos is apparently not the horse for your course any more. Great decision. I wish you good luck!
I'm out. This is absurd. I've been verging on replacing Sonos for years. I originally bought into the system because I loved the idea of playing music on good speakers remotely from my computer and phone. I liked the idea of being able to control volume of speakers remotely and even select different rooms with different music. A friend of mine also told me the actual audio on the speakers was good.

But every time I wasn't able to stream audio from my phone or computer that wasn't provided by one of Sonos's partner companies (Pandora, Spotify, etc), I hit a brick wall. That has meant that I can't play my own music audio unless it's embedded in iTunes, I can't stream a song from YouTube, I can't listen to any other web-based audio unless it's packaged by one of Sonos's partners.

Now most of my friends use high-end audio blue tooth speakers. At this point it's become a big duh! You can do everything with those that Sonos can do (and more) with the possible exception of separating rooms. But I almost never do that anyway.

Now this? I can't even play my own music on Sonos?!?!? WTF? This is idiotic. And, yes, I've read all of the work-arounds listed above and elsewhere. Do you really think a large client base will bother? No doubt some will. But most of those simply because they're already invested so much money into this system. That's the whole business model. Pretty sketchy. Pretty lame to hold us hostage and encourage us to throw good money after bad.

Nope. This is the final straw. I'll try to sell my speakers.

Later Sonos.
Now most of my friends use high-end audio blue tooth speakers. At this point it's become a big duh! You can do everything with those that Sonos can do (and more) with the possible exception of separating rooms. But I almost never do that anyway.

If this is what you believe, you clearly don't understand the primary Sonos use cases AT ALL, lol. Bluetooth is probably where you should have been all along. Have fun with all those notifications blasting on your speakers!
My question would be, as you have a Sonos One, why aren't you playing YouTube, or music stored on your phone, using Airplay 2?

If this is what you believe, you clearly don't understand the primary Sonos use cases AT ALL, lol. Bluetooth is probably where you should have been all along. Have fun with all those notifications blasting on your speakers!

Um, those notifications already blast through my Sonos speakers. If you're talking about the stuff I hear via Pandora, Spotify, etc.

But I'm willing to admit my own ignorance. Which use-cases am I missing? Trust me, I'd love to be proven wrong. I don't like the idea of investing a lot of money in something and throwing it out. But so far, I'm a little more convinced by posters here who make the point that if the work-arounds take that much effort to explain, there must be something wrong with the system itself.
My question would be, as you have a Sonos One, why aren't you playing YouTube, or music stored on your phone, using Airplay 2?
If Airplay 2 is as seamless to use as some of you have suggested, I'll give it one last try. But it seems more involved than most of us seem to think, and even comes with its own new set of obstacles. Please nlighten me.
I have an Android phone and so even if I played music from my phone I would be unaffected by the recent removal of 'on this iPhone'..

So I don't know if Airplay is seamless, just that it is Apple's method for doing what you want to do.

Unlike Bluetooth, Airplay 2 has multiroom capability. There is plenty of info on using Airplay with Sonos on the Sonos website.
I think apple have told sonos to pull the plug on this facility to get people to sign up to apple air play etc. All I know is I now have a very expensive radio . THE OINLY REASON I purchased all of the kit in my house was the fact that I could play my own music free of charge without accessing anything but the iPhone in my hand. I feel cheated
I think apple have told sonos to pull the plug on this facility to get people to sign up to apple air play etc. All I know is I now have a very expensive radio . THE OINLY REASON I purchased all of the kit in my house was the fact that I could play my own music free of charge without accessing anything but the iPhone in my hand. I feel cheated

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'accessing', but if you store your music on a computer, NAS (which could simply be a thumb drive connected to your router) , or Google's free music storage service, then you would be able to control all of that from the iphone in your hand. Of course, airplay would also be fully controllable from the iPhone as well. Perhaps 'accessing' means that you just want your music files on your iphone and nothing else will be acceptable. In that case, yea, airplay is the only current way to do that with an iPhone.

Um, those notifications already blast through my Sonos speakers. If you're talking about the stuff I hear via Pandora, Spotify, etc.

But I'm willing to admit my own ignorance. Which use-cases am I missing? Trust me, I'd love to be proven wrong. I don't like the idea of investing a lot of money in something and throwing it out. But so far, I'm a little more convinced by posters here who make the point that if the work-arounds take that much effort to explain, there must be something wrong with the system itself.

chicks is talking about text message alerts, update alerts, phone ringing, etc. that will play on a Bluetooth speaker because Bluetooth is just an extension of the phone's audio.

As to missing use cases, when you store your music on a PC/Mac/NAS, or upload to Google Play Music, there are a number of benefits:

1. Every controller you use can access all the music.
  2. You can use the music in Sonos playlists and alarms.
  3. Your phone's battery isn't drained when playing music.
  4. Your phone can leave the area and the music keeps playing.
  5. Imports all your iTunes playlists.
In the case of the free Google Play Music solution, there are additional benefits:

1. You can access the music from the Google Play Music app from anywhere, so you can free up space on your phone.
  2. Other household members can get a free account, and their account will appear separate from others on the Sonos app.
I don’t want to do anything else. What was wrong with the way it was. I take my music to my friends houses and play mixed playlists and vice versa. I have over 2,500 songs in my phone and about 40 different playlists. I don’t need AirPlay / Apple Music/ a NAS. I would like to know, without anyone throwing alternatives at me, as to why sonos as a company cannot rectify something that has ‘ become unreliable ‘ Reliable. Look at the people you are upsetting. This is why it makes me think there are darker forces at work. Sonos should support the people that have invested in them ( I’ve got £1,700.00s worth of the old stuff) and now I feel duped. Perhaps little Sonos is buckling under the weight of the Big Apple. So can someone from sonos give me the real answer to my question? or have I already answered it for myself🙁
Darker forces? A good principle for life: the conspiracy theory is almost always wrong, the simple cockup theory almost invariably right.

Is there any hope of a sense of perspective on this thread?
@gary larden Sonos announced the change here.

The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

This post by another Sonos employee mentions that it was a tough decision and that they are aware of how it impacts customers.

I don't think you're going to get a much more detailed answer then that since doing so could be throwing Apple under the bus, etc. It's also worth noting that the unreliability began around a year ago when airplay came along. Sonos has been attempting to resolve the issue for a year.
It's also worth noting that Sonos' competitor Bluesound removed their "On this device" feature around 10 months ago, shortly after Airplay 2 arrived.
The only ‘darker forces’ at work that I see are Apple. There isn’t another tech company around that can match their scale. We have collectively made them so, me included. I have 10 years worth of music from them combined with my own ripped CD collection.
I’m an older guy and I too do not like ,what I consider, an unnecessary change. However, you cannot ignore Apples ambition... they will steamroll over any business in order to reach their goals. They want to dominate this space and they don’t give a damn about Sonos.

For me me this is the issue. I have decided to break from my reliance on Apple and to invest in a NAS system. I don’t need, or want, to rely on my phone so much. I have young kids and I just don’t have the time to keep up with the latest tech. I just want a great system to play my music on. Sonos works for me right now but if issues like this are recurring in the future then who knows...

What I’d really like to see is a music platform from Sonos that I could support. If we all get behind this idea we could start a movement... 🤔
I know this is an old topic but... is there a post where someone has consolidated the alternatives (other than upgrading all of my hardware) to accessing my iTunes music via the Sonos mobile app? I confess, my speakers are already listed on eBay but I'll keep an open mind and see if there's a viable work around.

If I ignore the childish fanboy/hater commentary (about 90% of what's here it seems) I sometimes see references to loading iTunes on a PC and then being able to play it from my Sonos mobile app seamlessly.

I also see refernces to storing the music on a NAS, and I have a Sinology.

But, my (very respectful) opinion is that if I'm asked to use Google Music, or manage my music outside of it's origin (iTunes) then it's not worth the hassle.

I'm baffled why Sonos would let this sort of thing ride. Sure, they probably think folks will run out and buy new Sonos speakers that support airplay 2. But there are SO many equal competitors out there now, and many at much lower price-points. At least for me, because to me it's just a wireless speaker.

There is an argument here that "they need to keep releasing new features" and I get that. I own a software company, so I know the business. But you never force a legacy customer to fail. You make a concerted effort to entice them to upgrade. You don't cut their functionality. Yes, it's a compelling event. But you're also eliminating your company from consideration in the "upgrade."

All preaching aside, I'm sure it's a rub between them and Apple. But we paid a premium for this hardware and deserve premium support from the vendor. Else, we'll buy cheap hardware and throw it away every two years when we're "upgraded" to the point it stops working.